• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How are you guys able to afford a nsx 2.0???

I've been saving money for it since it was first announced, many years ago. I have enough for the car, but now I'm not sure I'm going to buy it. Priorities change over many years...

I've been observing and reading this thread with amusement. Just the title got me to chuckle. How does anyone afford anything that they want? Either you work for it, inherit the means, or steal it. I manage people's money for a living. If you wait around for someone to give it to you, you'll never get it. I have clients with substantial means, and those with not so substantial means. They all have one thing in common, they want their money to work for them as well. Work hard, manage your life smartly. Toys should not be your first priority, nor should you care what someone else has. Get a good education, find something to do, that you enjoy, do it well, and you'll be successful.

the secret................................don't be broke..............

Thanks for everyones insight, but I have made up my mind as to how I am going to get one.......

I figure since I'm tall, dark and handsome, I'm going to put my looks to work and try bagging me a rich sugar mama somewhere in Cali or Miami.

Gentlemen.... have a good day.

Last edited:
Thanks for everyones insight, but I have made up my mind as to how I am going to get one.......

I figure since I'm tall, dark and handsome, I'm going to put my looks to work and try bagging me a rich sugar mama somewhere in Cali or Miami.

Gentlemen.... have a good day.

You forgot to include Modest! ;< )

Plus it's good to have a vivid imagination when young ... and before reality kicks in.

I've been saving money for it since it was first announced, many years ago. I have enough for the car, but now I'm not sure I'm going to buy it. Priorities change over many years...

Exactly my sentiments regarding getting a 1.0. Even though I could put together the funds with a little bit of time and discipline, I just can't convince myself to spend $40k in one fell swoop... especially not when the car will likely have 6 figures on the clock and will rapidly accumulate more once I owned it.

The only way I could see myself buying an NSX at this point is as a third car, and even then, all my other hopes and dreams will have to have been previously addressed... :p

Exactly my sentiments regarding getting a 1.0. Even though I could put together the funds with a little bit of time and discipline, I just can't convince myself to spend $40k in one fell swoop... especially not when the car will likely have 6 figures on the clock and will rapidly accumulate more once I owned it.

Confused - don't you already have a 1.0?

- - - Updated - - -

Lol, sick burn
Thank you for quoting my favorite movie. Thinking about NSXs and the movie Caddyshack or two things that take me to my happy place. Be the ball.

Last edited:
A. Get into a high salary career (e.g. IT, law, medicine, engineering)

You may need to go back to school to get to where you want to go. Go to a state school to save on tuition, move if you have to to get in-state tuition. In IT you could sign up for a 12 week development bootcamp that has job placement at the end, but you'll have to invest about $12k to enroll. Over time though a career in software development will easily repay that investment many times over.

To jump up the salary ladder quickly in your career, obviously there's hard work, but a lot of it is advocating for yourself and setting yourself up to succeed. That means learning and demonstrating the skills that are worth more to employers, and switching jobs to get big pay jumps, or asking for (and proving you deserve) raises rather than waiting on the typical 3-8% annual salary increase. No one is going to manage your career but you, so make the moves that are in your best interest, don't wait for your company to take you to where you want to be.

B. Start a business, become successful

A riskier path but one with a lot of upside. You've got to be someone who is self-motivated, inquisitive, clever, stubborn, and very hard-working to succeed with your own business. If you're already in a high-salary career it's much easier to shift into working for yourself, setting up a side gig, or buying a franchise. This is way easier to do before you have kids obviously. I'd say that even if you can set up a side gig bringing an 10-20% of your salary per year, you can invest that money and start really moving up.

C. Real Estate/Investments

Others covered this but one way to build wealth is to buy real estate in areas that are developing, preferably something that needs some work. The vast majority of people don't want to take on fixxer uppers and that's where you can get big returns on investment. If you could get into rental property, even if it means renting out a room in the house you're living in, that can put you well on your way to building wealth. My wife for example, bought a foreclosed property in an area that was starting a wave of redevelopment. She got a 203k home construction loan and renovated the place nicely, now about 6 years later the house is worth more than twice was she paid. There was some pain and uncertainty involved but it was a calculated risk.

D. Marry Rich

Easier said than done, but at the very least, marry someone who's not going to be a financial drag. Also, get a pre-nup.

What if you are an engineer and marry rich? Wife is Oakland city attorney and went to northeastern law school. Winner, winner, chicken dinner? I still cannot afford a new nsx and quite frankly if I could, I would pass. I'd buy a radical for the track and a German luxury car for the street. Or I would just buy a new home. I need not be hood rich and have a 1/4 million dollar car and live in a shack. This way, I wouldn't need to prove myself to civic owners at every traffic light....

What if you are an engineer and marry rich? Wife is Oakland city attorney and went to northeastern law school. Winner, winner, chicken dinner? I still cannot afford a new nsx and quite frankly if I could, I would pass. I'd buy a radical for the track and a German luxury car for the street. Or I would just buy a new home. I need not be hood rich and have a 1/4 million dollar car and live in a shack. This way, I wouldn't need to prove myself to civic owners at every traffic light....
I think about that route a lot. Why bother with a very expensive supercar that can only really be fully exploited on a racetrack, yet has many compromises that detract from its performance on the racetrack? A 4-cylinder radical will embarrass everything up to the hypercars and a V8 radical is basically untouchable. The 4-cylinder will also be a lot cheaper on consumables.

The only thing driving me towards a street car is that I don't have the time to do 6-10 track weekends a year. If I did, I would get something purpose built.

Back