• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

How color motor oil?

How to color motor oil?

Yes, you read correctly!

Does anyone know how one could color light colored motor oil? Food colors are water based and they are not working - at least I tried a red on some light cooking oil and it became a kaleidoscope of emulsified red dots :biggrin:

Last edited:
There are dyes used to detect engine leaks. They will change the color noticeably, even moreso if you use a UV light as intended. I can't recall how much is used, but it's no more than 1 oz. A pack of 6 1-oz bottles costs less than $20 I think.

Hrant, have you been drinking again :)

8ball.jpg

Hrant, have you been drinking again :)

Was it that obvious :tongue:

There are dyes used to detect engine leaks. They will change the color noticeably, even moreso if you use a UV light as intended. I can't recall how much is used, but it's no more than 1 oz. A pack of 6 1-oz bottles costs less than $20 I think.

Yes I am aware of those, and used them for the exact purposes of finding a leak. But this is a different inebriating project :redface: I need to color the oil for visual gratification :eek: :biggrin:

Find a biological or chemical supply place (Sigma, Fisher Scientific) & order some oil red-o.

Back