• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

How Ferrari owners feel about Honda products

There has been a lot of discussion lately about NSXs versus other cars. Well, I came across this Ferrari forum and someone posted a topic of "just got out of a S2000" and wanted to compare it with the Ferraris these guys on the forum own. Of course our NSX came up(and the Supra,too) and actually some people defended it! The forum is at www.ferrarichat.com/discus/ Look under Ferrari general discussion then click the topic "Just got out of a S2000." But,as expected, most Ferrari owners who responded to this subject feel their cars are much superior to ours. I was just wondering how everyone on this forum feels about the comments made at this Ferrari forum. Especially Rob Lay's remarks.

------------------
'00 NSX-T, silverstone/blk, #252

[This message has been edited by CChung (edited 25 July 2001).]

Not too bad at all. I've seen much worse and think the general postings have been positive. All else aside (perf, reliability, etc.), to me ferraris are a car with a singular purpose for those rich enough to afford one.

Opinions folow:
1. They are the most beautiful cars in the world. When I stand next to a 360 spider and look inside, I'm ready to shell out the six figures (if I had it).
2. They are absolutely exhilarating to drive. The feel, the sounds, that's what it's about for those cars. The experience is unequaled.

I find the NSX similar, just not as extreme. All of the other positives of an NSX outweigh these factors of a Ferrari for a daily driver for me. However, if I was rich, had the money and a few extra cars, I would have a 360 Spider sitting in my garage right now, no doubt about it. Every time I look at one in person I get light-headed.
biggrin.gif

That reminds me, I have some pics of my coworker's 360 to post on my site...but I need to scan them first. Here he is washing his car at my place (probably the only time I'll ever have a Ferrari in my driveway)
wink.gif

mccar.jpg

p.s. And he has a black/black NSX-T too.

[This message has been edited by akira3d (edited 25 July 2001).]

Valerie was in the kitchen (directly above the garage) when he pulled the 360 into my garage. Not only could she hear the Modena's engine, but feel it (everything around her was dancing to the exhaust note). The 360 certainly is a loud one.

Wow! All of a sudden I see a lot of NSX owners, and probably forum members, defending and holding up the NSX honor at that Ferrari forum. Great job! But, I guess, you'll never convince a Ferrari owner the NSX is as good as their car, or even vica versa. So to each their own.
Hi Eric again. Must be pretty stunning to have a Ferrari 360 in your driveway! Is it a F1 or manual trans. and did your coworker let you drive or ride in it? If so, how did it compare with your NSX? I bet you probably want to race it to see how your NSX stacks up against. Let us know how you did if you did race it!

------------------

I am the fellow with the twinner supra who questioned the logic of Rob Lay (comparing an S2000 to a 360 modena). It seems that the ferrari guys dont like hearing that their cars are not always the best and will go to great lengths to rig comparisons in their favour. I would be nice if one of you NSX gurus could go on there and present some facts as to the performance of the NSX as I dont have any of that information available.

Must be pretty stunning to have a Ferrari 360 in your driveway!

I just wish I had taken a photo of it in my garage...a totally surreal sight. Of course, I felt that way when I first parked my NSX in my garage as well.

Is it a F1 or manual trans.

Manual.

and did your coworker let you drive or ride in it?

I've only ridden in his 360 once around the block of our office at which time the streets were filled with rush hour traffic. Hardly a chance to compare it with the NSX.

Since my coworker owns both, I'll mention that his initial impression was that the 360 felt a helluva lot faster than his NSX-T. It also feels a helluva lot bigger (you should see the NSX and 360 side-by-side...the NSX looks tiny by comparison). And he says that the NSX is definitely the easier car to drive.

My coworker did say he would let me drive the 360 once he's broken her in. Can't wait!

I bet you probably want to race it to see how your NSX stacks up against

I don't know about that. I think the 360 would seriously outgun me. I'd consider doing that against my boss' 355, but he's had track experience (and I have not).

Originally posted by akira3d:
I don't know about that. I think the 360 would seriously outgun me. I'd consider doing that against my boss' 355, but he's had track experience (and I have not).

Eric! Gimme a shot at him! He doesn't need to know about the turbo's, we'll just say I have some exhaust mods
smile.gif

Hey wait.. We both have red NSX-T's.. You could drive mine to work and then take him on.. He'll never know the difference (or what hit him)
smile.gif

Marc
97 NSX-T Twin Turbo

Originally posted by akira3d:

Eric, remember a few months ago Car and Driver TV tested a 2001 NSX-T and it did 0-60 in 4.5 secs and the quarter in 12.9@110mph. Although these numbers may seem a little optimistic, at least it can give you an idea of the NSX's potential and they're right in the same ballpark as acceleration numbers for the 360. Anyway, if he pulls on you, it will be interesting to see by how much. Besides,I feel you have nothing to lose, especially when you're going up against a car with almost 400 horsepower and costs twice as much. Who knows, you may be pleasantly surprised
wink.gif

------------------

[This message has been edited by CChung (edited 26 July 2001).]

There is a video of a NSX taking on a 360 (like the ones on this site). The 360 takes it out by a car length at the quarter mile. I will see if I can post it somewhere for you all to see. Both cars run under 12.9 though, I think. If any of you have bearshare, search for NSX and you might find it there.

I would have to say the TT NSX would smoke the 360 without too much trouble
smile.gif

------------------
NetViper -= 100% Stock EBP 2000 Civic Si =- Still looking to get an NSX, but at least I can live life at 8,000 RPM!

[This message has been edited by NetViper (edited 26 July 2001).]

Winner Dave Swartz Valhalla, NY 98 NSX 12.585 111.20 mph

Great time! Just out of curiousity, what type of ferrari do you own?

------------------
NetViper -= 100% Stock EBP 2000 Civic Si =- Still looking to get an NSX, but at least I can live life at 8,000 RPM!

I went to Ferrairchat.com and I notice something very striking. When I was 15 to 25 and had no money, all I wanted to talk about was Ferrari. Then I hit 30-35 and have the money in the bank and start looking into real ownership... and all of the sudden all I want to talk about is NSX NSX NSX.

I admit it, I was a young boy with Dream Dollars to spend on a Ferrari. But as an adult ... Honda is where I put my real dollars.

Ferrarichat.com seemed to be full of young boys or Dreamers.. the questions and comments where not as serious as those at NSXprime. Tire-kickers vs Buyers.

dswartz,
Those are great times! With your mods, slicks and car being a lighter coupe I guess the times are pretty realistic for a targa to do a 12.9 in the quarter. But you must really know how to launch the car and get every ounce of acceleration from you NSX. At what rpms do you launch at and when do you shift, right before redline? How does your NSX rate against your Ferrari?

------------------

My Ferrari is a 1972 Dino 246GT. Its a mid engine V6... sound familiar. With double wish bone suspension and an 8000 rpm red line its lots of fun to drive, but not nearly as much fun as an NSX.

In concourse events it score 95 out of a hundred which means its in perfect condition. Its also considered one of the most beautiful ferrari's ever built and the inspiration for the styling of the 360 Modena.

Originally posted by SpeedDemon:
Marc
97 NSX-T Twin Turbo

Judging by your avatar, that is one gorgeous NSX. Ferrari's are nice, but give me Japanese reliability in a sexy skin any day.
David, I have a downloaded MP3 of your car under acceleration, gives me chills.

Phil

------------------
See you all in Wisconsin!

[This message has been edited by H-carWizKid (edited 27 July 2001).]

Just found this info. What do you think? Think these 1/4 miles are attainable?

Koenig Ferrari program
360 Modena gets twin turbo engine that generates 600 HP/570 NM. With this unit Modena needs
3,5 sec. for 0-100km/h, 0-200km/h takes 10,9 sec. and 1/4 mile takes 10,5 sec. Top speed is 330 km/h.
550 Maranello gets twin turbo engine that outputs 790 HP/755NM. 0-100km/h after 3,5 sec. 0-200 km/h 10,9 sec. standing 1/4 mile 10,5 sec. while the top speed is 350 km/h. If you want Koenig F50 than you can choose between two engines. First one delivers 650Hp/ 580Nm. 0-100 km/h also takes 3,5 sec. 0-200 km/h in 9,6 sec. and standing 1/4 mile 9,5 sec. top speed is 355 km/h. Second engine is twin-turbo with the power output of 850hp/800Nm. With this engine F50 has 1,47 kg/HP ratio! 0-100 km/h in 3,0 sec. 0-200 km/h 8,4 sec. standing 1/4 mile 8,0 sec. and the top speed is 380 km/h

------------------

Originally posted by CChung:
dswartz,
Those are great times! With your mods, slicks and car being a lighter coupe I guess the times are pretty realistic for a targa to do a 12.9 in the quarter. But you must really know how to launch the car and get every ounce of acceleration from you NSX. At what rpms do you launch at and when do you shift, right before redline?

My launch technique includes heating up the tires as much as possible using a 2nd gear burnout until I see smoke from the tires. I then stage and bring the revs to about 3500-4000 rpm when using drag radials and about 500 rpm less when using OEM Yoko’s. On the last yellow light I dump the clutch. There is a balancing act here, depending on the track conditions and tires as to the proper launch rpm’s. I have found that my 60’ times are significantly better if I bog slightly as opposed to spinning the tires too much. My best launch resulted in a 1.88 second 60’ time. If I bog, my 60’ time is approximately 2.0 seconds and spinning the tires results in about a 2.4 second 60’ time. You’ll spin too much if you bring the revs up too high or if you don’t heat up the tires enough. If you’re running bracket class (where you dial in your time) consistency is the rule to winning. In that case you can launch at about 2000 rpm and dump the clutch. The car will bog slightly but the 60’ times and ¼ mile times will be consistent every run.

As far as shifting is concerned, I always power shift which means that I keep the throttle floored between shifts. I shift 1-2 @ 7600 to avoid the rev limiter (hitting the rev limiter will cost about .2 seconds), 2-3 @ 7800 and 3-4 @ 7800. I cross the line at about 6800 RPM in 4th. Before installing the Comptech I/H/E, I would shift at a lower RPM in 3rd and 4th gears because the power would drop off sooner. I also have a Comptech street/strip clutch which eliminates any clutch slippage off the line and between shifts. I believe that this clutch has provided about a .2 second advantage over the stock clutch due to the elimination of slippage.

I hope this information helps. IF you try it, let us know how it works for you.

Originally posted by CChung:
dswartz,

How does your NSX rate against your Ferrari?

The NSX is a modern, comfortable, fast version of the Dino. I like the NSX better.

Do Ferrari owners' opinions make any difference?

I am driving down St. Charles St. in New Orleans during the May Jazz Festival. I pass a side street and see a stunning silver vehicle.

"No. "It can't be a McLaren... Hard a starboard."

After a contortionistic manuever, I park. I approach the nose. The vehicle is near a streetlight, but is only partially illuminated. Yet, it shimmers in the light.

"No, it can't be."

I approach the nose. I am distrusting my rash judgement to turn around.

I see the rear end of a Ferrari -- the one whose clay model fell on its rear on the studio floor.

"Shit, it's just a Ferrari."

I had supper at Houston's and lamented my misfortune.

[This message has been edited by nsxman (edited 29 July 2001).]

You guys need to slow down a little about Ferraris. It is only natural for NSX as well as Ferrari owners to boast about their cars. I have read many negative comments here as well.

Let's be honest here, Ferrari has for many years built great sports cars. They have a racing history second to none. Their looks are gorgeous. The only negative for most of us is the cost of the car and its maintenance.

On the other hand the NSX is also a great sports cars the great looks. However it does not have the history of Ferrari. As a past Ferrari owner it can be a hard pill to swallow that the first mid engine car that Honda makes can compete with their expensive machine.

NSX does produce a better bag for the buck car. However, if you have the funds what a way to fly.

Back