• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How hard is it to install outer tie rod end

Anyone ever done this if so can a not to novice person do this? Also any special tools required?

It took all of 15 minutes once the wheel was off. I changed both sides in 30 min. No special tools. The tie rod to spindle nut is 17mm and the locking adjustment nut is also I believe. I simply removed the tierod to spindle nut and since I was'nt keeping the old rod I tapped on the top a few whacks and off she popped. Wrap a piece of tape behind the lock nut to measure where the new one adjusts to. Just break the nut loose, then screw the rod out. {this applies to the front}.

Front or Rear?

Front passenger

It took all of 15 minutes once the wheel was off. I changed both sides in 30 min. No special tools. The tie rod to spindle nut is 17mm and the locking adjustment nut is also I believe. I simply removed the tierod to spindle nut and since I was'nt keeping the old rod I tapped on the top a few whacks and off she popped. Wrap a piece of tape behind the lock nut to measure where the new one adjusts to. Just break the nut loose, then screw the rod out. {this applies to the front}.

Wow thanks David! I can't believe how much the dealership was talking to replace it. I kept looking at thinking " it just doesn't look like that much work"

Is it bad or just the grease boot busted?

It's actually got about a 1/4 inch of play. but I track my car an awful lot so no biggie.

OK Front.

I would say that Dave, you got lucky. These can be tough to get off. You can use a standard pickle fork(not sure if this is a slang term, but it is the only thing I have ever heard it called) if you are replacing them.

You can save your alignment by making sure the steering wheel is straight when you are going straight, assuming it was fine before you swapped it.

HTH,
LarryB

I have to agree Larry. I was just doing a couple of test whacks and off she popped. I'd say damn lucky.:wink:

OK Front.

I would say that Dave, you got lucky. These can be tough to get off. You can use a standard pickle fork(not sure if this is a slang term, but it is the only thing I have ever heard it called) if you are replacing them.

You can save your alignment by making sure the steering wheel is straight when you are going straight, assuming it was fine before you swapped it.

HTH,
LarryB

Thanks Larry

My steering wheel was slightly askew to start hence the reason I was getting an alignment. I've got a buddy loaning me the tool your referring to. My car is an 04 with only 20k so I'm hoping it's not it there too bad.

Also will I need to replace the boot?

Rear was cake for me. Took me just a couple minutes. Used a puller that had non adjustable claws. As long as one claw rests on top of the aluminum insert (bushing? sleeve?), the stud will pop clean out of the insert.

Last edited:
How much are these tie rod ends. Also what are the symptoms when they go bad?

Thanks

I bought one from Delray Acura for $64.95. I found it because I went in to get a wheel alignment and they guy doing it showed me that the wheel had a 1/4 of play. So basically they can affect tire wear and alignment.

Also any special tools required?

Yes, a brain! I wouldn't try it if I were you, let someone else do it.

How many miles are on your car? they are worn already?! :confused:

LOL Hey Loser!

It's not hard at all and really not worth how much the dealer and other places are asking. Once you take off the wheel it's right there behind the rotor but very easily seen. If it takes an hour to do I would really be surprised. Yet the dealer wanted almost $300 to do it ( including the part ) most places wanted to charge me hour and a half labor and again it's right there.

I've got a buddy with the tool ( claw ) so the hard part is really done.

I've got a little over 20k and it's just the passenger front that's gone all the others are fine.

Could be a few variables such as Michigans notoriously bad roads or the that it's constantly being tracked not sure , but for a part that cost me $73 dollars shipped it's not that big a deal.

I bought one from Delray Acura for $64.95. I found it because I went in to get a wheel alignment and they guy doing it showed me that the wheel had a 1/4 of play. So basically they can affect tire wear and alignment.

Not to mention the hugh SAFETY issue. The car would not pass tech for a track event this way. Every regularly tracked car I see needs these periodically.

Regards,
LarryB

Not to mention the hugh SAFETY issue. The car would not pass tech for a track event this way. Every regularly tracked car I see needs these periodically.

Regards,
LarryB

Good to know. Thanks Larry!

See that Turbo2Go I guess this means yours will last forever:biggrin:

Good to know. Thanks Larry!

See that Turbo2Go I guess this means yours will last forever:biggrin:

Yes, I am picky about what event I track mine in unlike you that takes anything he can get like a loose whore.

I like it hard and fast..sometimes dirty! LOL

isn't the outer tie rod all metal? Just curious how it would be wore out by 1/4 of an inch.

Does it also cause vibration at certain speed?

Thx :wink:

isn't the outer tie rod all metal? Just curious how it would be wore out by 1/4 of an inch.

Does it also cause vibration at certain speed?

Thx :wink:

No vibration at all I just couldn't get a good alignment and it would eventually cause tire wear.

I believe the shaft of the tie rod end uses a teflon or nylon bushing inside of it.

I believe it's nylon.

No vibration at all I just couldn't get a good alignment and it would eventually cause tire wear.

I believe it's nylon.

Thanks for the clarification.

The reason I asked is because my passenger front wheel has a minor click sound when I move it side way with the wheel off. My mechanic said it is the tie-rod.

No prob. My buddy just brought the fork by today so as soon as I get the part I'll do the install and post pics.

Back