• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How is driving without powersteering?

I've tried a search with little success.

For those of you that don't have power steering in your NSX, is it bothersome?

For those of you that DO have power steering, would you give it up?

I am just wondering if I should even consider it as a determining factor between a 94 and 95 if it came down to it.
Thanks,
Tom

I like no power steering, but im sure if I had it i wouldnt wanna go back to manual. You dont miss what you never had. Remember, there's not much weight over the front wheels, so turning is a breeze :)

I honestly do not see much difference. Power steering is great when the car is stopped, but once it is moving a little, it is not much different than not having it. That being said, I would not go without it again. Also, it will be much easier for my wife to drive. (though she hasn't driven it yet).

It wouldn't be a dealbreaker for me though between a 94 and 95. My question would be do you want a coupe or a T?

My wife do not like to drive my car because 1. No P/S,(Hard to get out of garage) 2, Too Stiff,(NSX-R suspension) 3, Too noisey.(Magnaflow exhaust) For ME, The car is perfect as is, No p/s gives more tactile feedback. :wink:

EssTooKayTD said:
How is driving without powersteering?

How is sex without a condom? :cool:

Yep - it is that much better for driving a sports car - like a sports car!

If I was going to pimp out my ride with huge body kits, steamroller wheels, monster stereos, and kill the performance anyway - then I would go P/S all the way.

matteni said:
How is sex without a condom? :cool:

Yep - it is that much better for driving a sports car - like a sports car!

So, the tires are ribbed for her pleasure? :biggrin:

I love my 93 w/o power steering. It is such a joy to drive at speed without the artificial feel of power assist.

We currently have a '96 with power steering and a '93 without, so we hop back and forth between them. I would definitely lean towards the non-power steering vehicle (all other things being equal) because I really believe that it does give you a slightly better feel. However, if the car was to be a daily driver then that might influence your decision because at low/parking speeds the non-power steering vehicles can be tiring to fight with all the time. And as others have mentioned, it can be a detracting factor for some women in particular. Hope that helps.

Stephen

It all depends upon what type of driving you plan on doing with your NSX. If it is on a race track, I would think the majority would opt for non-power steering but if it is everyday driving, I would probably want power steering. The only time I don't like my car is when I have to park in a tight space. But since there is not that much weight up front, it isn't that bad.

The only time I want power steering is when I'm parking other wise the feel is great without it, especially at speed.

As has been previously mentioned, the only time that I wish that I did have power steering is when trying to get into a tight parking spot. Otherwise, it's really a non-issue.

try driving one back to back....there is no comparison....power steering is great for anything but a sports car!!!

They should have made P/S an option rather then standard in the 95+ models. :frown:

The power steering only kicks in when you are under 30 or 35 miles an hour, beyond that it shuts itself off so it's just like you dont have it so you can feel the road all you want. But at low speed it sure is quite helpful for parking or making a u turn from a dead stop. The best of both worlds, that's one of the main reason I switched from the 94 to the 97. I love it. :biggrin:

I think people hear non-power steering and get the wrong idea. The NSX really isn't that heavy up front, as others have mentioned, so the steering really isn't THAT heavy at low speed. Of course I was used to my non-P/S '87 325e, that thing could be a workout. That car has since been replaced by a GS-R and when I go back and forth between the cars the Integra steering always feel twitchy and overboosted. Its always a relief getting back into the NSX and having that more 'natural' steering feel. That being said, I'm sure the P/S equipped NSX's have a more reasonable level of boost. I wouldn't think it would be a deal-breaker either way. You'll have bigger differences between cars to try to decide on I'm sure. Good luck :cool:

Nate

EssTooKayTD said:
There are 42 topics in the forums with the words "power steering" in their titles, and many of them contain answers to your questions. :confused:

Perhaps you weren't searching the forums, just the FAQ? To search the forums, you need to click the word SEARCH in the red bar that starts with the words User CP.

While I haven't had the opportunity to drive a power assisted NSX, I can tell you that I have not had any issues with my 93 as far as parking or low speed turning effort.
The previous suspension I had on the car was really light in steering effort, (change of suspension geometry?) so maybe that might be something to look into as an option

QUOTE=brahtw8]So, the tires are ribbed for her pleasure? :biggrin:

Was it Rodney that said "I'm a selfish kinda guy. I turn the ribbed ones inside out for MY pleasure"? :biggrin:

EssTooKayTD said:

I am just wondering if I should even consider it as a determining factor between a 94 and 95 if it came down to it.
Thanks,
Tom
you do not need power steering. end of discussion.
bill
1992 NSX

Forums Nazi said:
There are 42 topics in the forums with the words "power steering" in their titles, and many of them contain answers to your questions. :confused:

Perhaps you weren't searching the forums, just the FAQ? To search the forums, you need to click the word SEARCH in the red bar that starts with the words User CP.

Sorry, I got plenty of results, but by broswing the thread titles, none looked like they would give me the info I sought. Perhaps I should have narrowed the search to this particular forum, instead of all of nsxprime. My fault :p

EssTooKayTD said:

Thanks,
Tom

I have one of each and the manual steering rack is the more fun. My power steering car is still fun, but at normal highway speeds there is really no difference. The only time it is really a factor is when parking the car.

As you can see from the above a lot of people prefer not to have power steering.
One of the things that attracted me to the NSX is that it’s available without power steering. Having said that I drove a 2002 and it was pretty nice. Not too over powered.

And don’t forget one of the finest NSX the Zanardi that came out in 99 had the power steering deleted.

Regards,

Patrick

don't know if it's being mentioned before, with non power steering, as soon as your front tires loose grip, you hand will know it before any other part of the body.

I had an encounter on a sheet of black ice which is right in the middle of a 10mph right hand turn, as soon as I turn the wheel, say 5 degree, I noticed that it's way too light, so instead of turning my car into the ditch... I just slowed down going straight... That saved me big time.

I have both as well....

You don't need power steering on the NSX.... But it is nice when parking.

And like nsxpt said... It disconnects at speed anyway so the feel is the same!

It does weigh a lot though... I think around 40kgs... So that is weight I don't have to loose :tongue:

Back