• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How is the service in Hilltop at Daly City

Hi, Bay Area NSXers!
I just bought an NSX and I am going to have Hilltop to replace the timing belt and water pump and some belt and hose for me, can anyone tell me how is the service there?
By the way, I went there this morning and I saw a red NSX with a silver GT wing and with a number "96" on the door. Whose car is it? maybe we can get together some day and share some experience. Or if there is any bay area NSXer gathering, I would like to go too.
I am looking forward to meet you guys

WOW...
where is the track, maybe I will go watch...but I don't think I am going to run on the track
Tom's car look very aggresive, do you know what kind of mods he got in the car, Andrie?
Thanks for your reply

Originally posted by NSXER119:
Hi, Bay Area NSXers!
I just bought an NSX and I am going to have Hilltop to replace the timing belt and water pump and some belt and hose for me, can anyone tell me how is the service there?
By the way, I went there this morning and I saw a red NSX with a silver GT wing and with a number "96" on the door. Whose car is it? maybe we can get together some day and share some experience. Or if there is any bay area NSXer gathering, I would like to go too.

Hey NSXER119,

Welcome to the Club. check to Northwest Region as that is where you will see NSX gatherings.

hope you can join us on a sunday drive.

Check the Northwest club website at www.northwest.nsxca.org.

The south bay has a club luncheon the first Saturday of every month in Milpitas (McCarthy Marketplace). For April, there is a different venue planned. To meet in Milpitas, drive down to Monterey, have lunch in Carmel Valley and take a loop around the 17 Mile Drive. If the weather isn't good, we'll meet in Milpitas for our usual lunch gathering and postpone this lunch/drive to May.

checkout www.opentrackchallenge.com for more info.

The car has:
1. Comptech powertec brake
2. Comptech powergrip II clutch
3. 6 Speed with Comptech 4.55 R&P
4. Comptech pro suspension
5. Dali sway bar
6. Comptech intake
7. Comptech headers
8. Comptech Exhaust
9. Dali roll cage
10. Dali big ass wing
11. RM front lip (to be installed)
12. Sparco steering wheel with quick release
13. OMP seat.

Originally posted by Vytas:

The south bay has a club luncheon the first Saturday of every month in Milpitas (McCarthy Marketplace). For April, there is a different venue planned. To meet in Milpitas, drive down to Monterey, have lunch in Carmel Valley and Afterwards, a loop around the 17 Mile Drive (entry fee $8.50) which will take about an hour accounting several stops for photo ops and just kick back and watch the beautiful scenery.

Don't you live in pebble beach? Can't you just tell the GATE everyone is coming to your house to avoid the entry fee?

Don't you live in pebble beach? Can't you just tell the GATE everyone is coming to your house to avoid the entry fee?

Yes I can. Sometimes they get curious about too many cars getting in all at once without paying the entry fee. I don't think it should be a problem. You are my guests!
biggrin.gif

Don is NSX factory certified & one of the most honest mechanics I have ever met. One of those few that you can drop a car off, and not even have to ask what it will cost, because you have full confidence in his honest & reasonable pricing.

Welcome to the club.

-- Chris

------------------
Revolutionize your NSX with ScienceofSpeed
www.ScienceofSpeed.com | [email protected] | 877-863-4520

Is the sole motivation price?[/B][/QUOTE]

I think the price is pretty fair. They charged me $985 for replacing the timing belt, water pump, coolent, and some belts. the average out there is about $1200 to $1400, right?

Originally posted by Number9:
If you value your rims, don't let Don do any of your tire mounting work. Use http://www.customalignment.com in Mountain View instead - highly skilled and careful tire mounting and alignment work.

Hum...I've had various wheels range from 16s to 18s in diamter and 7inch to 10inch in width mounted and balanced at Don's shop, never had a problem. Don takes great care not to blemish the rims. I wouldn't worry about it.

I also use custom alignments but only when I need a corner balance since Don doesn't have the weight scales for that job.

------------------
George W
Porsche 996 for sale!

Originally posted by 8000RPM:
I am curious...

How often do Southbay NSXers skip Foreign Affair in Santa Clara ( www.fahonda.com ) and make the drive up to Daly City for Don?

Is the sole motivation price?

I had a bad experience myself at Foreign Affair, but this was a couple years ago. Your mileage may very, but i wouldnt go within 100ft of those cock goblins.

-mike

------------------
http://www.blazen.com/mike/

Originally posted by Number9:
If you value your rims, don't let Don do any of your tire mounting work. Use http://www.customalignment.com in Mountain View instead - highly skilled and careful tire mounting and alignment work.

What happened? Care to share the incident?

Keep in mind that any shop, or anybody make mistake once a while. In this case, maybe one of his worker slip and damaged your wheels by accident? Did you mentioned it to Don? What was Don response, and did he try to make it good for you?

I always use Don for all my cars. I've been very happy and keep recommeding people to Don's place.

Custom alignment is definitely a good place, and I use their service occasionally.

------------------
<A HREF="http://www.tracknutz.com" TARGET=_blank>www.tracknutz.com
</A>

Originally posted by Andrie Hartanto:
What happened? Care to share the incident?

He bady gouged and scraped (yes, multiple abuse) my then-new Zanardi wheel. So bad that I ended up having to buy another one. Some bargain. That's 0-for-1. (Actually, that was the time I bought your old Yoko rear.) He did the same to another local NSXer who wishes to remain anonymous. That's 0-for-2. Odds are stacked against you if you do tire mounting there...

Originally posted by NSXER119:
Hi, Bay Area NSXers!

I've taken my car to Don and have been very satisfied so far. I had my 30k service done there, as well as water pump and timing belt service, as well as brake flushes, as well as gotten rear tires mounted and balanced (two pairs on different occasions). No problems with blemishing my wheels. He's very honest and has excellent pricing. I've gotten quotes from Foreign Affair and the cost is substantially more. He also knows a lot about what aftermarket items (e.g. superchargers) work and which ones are troublesome.

He may seem a bit standoffish when you first meet him because he talks very fast and wants to know exactly what you want fixed on your car. But after you get to know him, he'll laugh and joke with you and shoot the breeze. He's a good guy.

-CiaoBoy

Originally posted by 8000RPM:
I am curious...

How often do Southbay NSXers skip Foreign Affair in Santa Clara ( www.fahonda.com ) and make the drive up to Daly City for Don?

Is the sole motivation price?

Foreign Affair did some great work for me in my early NSX ownership days, but when I found out about Don I thought twice about FA's high prices. When I asked them to cut me a little slack on my short-gear install they said they HAD to charge the high prices because of their overhead. Makes sense to me, but so does saving $400 on the gear-set installation!

I used Don to get my Tubi exhaust installed, based on numerous strong recommendations of him. Add me to the list of people who would strongly recommend him. He is not too convenient in that he doesn't have loaner cars like a dealer does (although he will give you a ride to BART), but he knows NSXs very well and does great work. He also is reasonably priced. I have only used him that once so far, but was quite impressed and will be back.

Chip

------------------
Chip Alexander
'97 Blue/Tan NSX-T with Tubi Exhaust, Italian Horn
'92 Green/Tan Lexus SC400 Coupe
'02 Blue/Tan BMW 325iT Sportwagon

[This message has been edited by calexand (edited 22 March 2003).]

I thought I'd share my thoughts about Don. I've had Don do quite a bit of work on my car. He has done a 60K maintenance, timing belt, replaced a starter, installed Bilsteins, performed two alignments, one valve adjustment and performed a number of oil changes.

In general, I think Don does a great job. Don does strike me as a very honest mechanic. When my Bilsteins failed to ship a part with one of my shocks, he allowed my car to take up a space in his garage with only three shocks on the car for about 5 days!

He tends to be very busy on the weekends and as a result, it may be difficult to explain to him what you want done. I've stood around for an hour before with my NSX parked in his lot just trying to get his attention. We've also had a number of miscommunications because English is not his native language.

Without a doubt, my car is in much better shape than when I bought it nearly 30K miles ago. I can thank Don for this.

That said, I would tend to agree with number9. While Don does do excellent engine work, I am not sure if Don is a good choice to mount and balance tires or perform alignments. While I have not had him mount tires for me, he has done two alignments. Both alignments had severe issues. My last alignment which was performed after I had the Bilsteins installed, resulted in my tires rubbing at full lock. Don also managed to lose my wheel locks while my car was serviced at his facility. I later had to have them professionally removed when I had to mount new tires.

I've since had my car aligned at Custom Alignment (a recommendation I received from Number9 in an earlier post) and those guys fixed my alignment problems. I can't say enough about Custom Alignment. They treat car alignments like a science (they even simulated my body weight by placing weight on the driver's side of the car).

Custom Alignment is not cheap. They charge 30 dollars a tire for mounting and $85 dollars per axle ($170 for a 4-wheel alignment). In contrast, Don charges about half that for a wheel alignment!

Having said all of this, I will continue to have my vehicle serviced at Don's for engine work. However, I will no longer have him touch my tires or alignment. Custom alignment is a better choice under those circumstances despite the premium.

Back