• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How is this deal?

Hi folks, I'm new to this forum. I'm currently in the market to buy an NSX. I'm hoping to spend around $25,000-$30,000. What do you think of this deal? Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks!,
Casey

I think you can get a great nsx for that money you just need to shop around and be patient. Get it looked at before you buy and you should be good to go. I had mine looked at by a fellow prime member before I flew out to buy it.
Hope that helps
Blaine

might be too good...

What do you think of this deal?
The aforementioned NSX is a great deal @ the asking price IF:

- clean-title w/ no accident/collision history
- maint'/service is up to date (ie. 60k/90k mile services)

Generally, a stock '94 NSX 5spd. w/ ~90k miles goes for $30,000 - $32,500, depending on it's overall condition and maint'/service history.

There seems to be after-market, multi-piece alloy wheels, an after-market exhaust, and tints on this NSX... otherwise all else appears to be stock.

Read the Wiki/FAQ here on 'Prime and familiarize yourself w/ what things to look-out for, etc'. Also, use the 'search' function to find relevant threads which will offer great insight into what to check when acquiring a NSX.

G'luck! :cool:

The first car's ad says the car has a black leather interior where it is clearly tan. :confused:

I like Brooklands Green alot, but some feel it's not suiting for a sportscar. Sometimes they go for a little less, but their rarity makes up for the color demand.

They look near black in darkness and subtly green in sunlight which is very nice I think.

If it were me, I'd spring for the green since they're fairly rare, but I'd take the most well maintained car out of your current choices if you have any more.

Maintenance history extremely important...any older/higher mileage car should have all of the 60k and 90k service...timing belt/water pump, etc...an undocumented car can be a financial nightmare...keeping up with interior trim items (seats, vents, leather, etc.) can be very expensive. Previous advice to be wary of too much after-market stuff is sound..some owners go this route because they truly want to modify or personalize their car, but there are those who do so for the sole reason that parts are cheaper than OEM..a red flag when it comes to probability of sound mechanical maintenance. Good Luck.

Maintenance history extremely important...any older/higher mileage car should have all of the 60k and 90k service...timing belt/water pump, etc...an undocumented car can be a financial nightmare...keeping up with interior trim items (seats, vents, leather, etc.) can be very expensive. Previous advice to be wary of too much after-market stuff is sound..some owners go this route because they truly want to modify or personalize their car, but there are those who do so for the sole reason that parts are cheaper than OEM..a red flag when it comes to probability of sound mechanical maintenance. Good Luck.
Good advice. Yeah, it looks like the second one I posted has all records in a binder. It doesn't mention having the 60k service, so I bet it hasn't been done yet. It also appears to be stock except for exhaust and some lights (that I will remove).

Nice color....wear on driver's seatback bolster can be repaired for about $250 at any good interior shop. "I would charge the air conditioning" is big red flag...you could could be looking at north of $2,000 if the compressor is on its way out ....why didn't "he charge it? He's hoping you don't know about the upcoming 60k service....$1,500 or more....and wouldn't you at least clean your filthy floor mats before you took the picture? Be prepared to spend 4 to 5 grand on this one in short order. If the clutch hasn't been replaced, it could be about to go...mine went at 60k almost on the money...and I'm not very aggressive with it. (another $2,000). If this guy bought some extremely loud exhaust, you may not like it. I would bid the minimum on this one. Timbob.

Nice color....wear on driver's seatback bolster can be repaired for about $250 at any good interior shop. "I would charge the air conditioning" is big red flag...you could could be looking at north of $2,000 if the compressor is on its way out ....why didn't "he charge it? He's hoping you don't know about the upcoming 60k service....$1,500 or more....and wouldn't you at least clean your filthy floor mats before you took the picture? Be prepared to spend 4 to 5 grand on this one in short order. If the clutch hasn't been replaced, it could be about to go...mine went at 60k almost on the money...and I'm not very aggressive with it. (another $2,000). If this guy bought some extremely loud exhaust, you may not like it. I would bid the minimum on this one. Timbob.
Thanks, Timbob. That's exactly the kind of info I was looking for.

I emailed the seller for this ebay auction regarding his NSX for sale. Here is my note to him:
Hi there. I am interested in the NSX you have for sale, but I have a few questions.
1. Has the car had it's 60k mile service from the dealer? This is approx $1500.
2. You mentioned that the A/C needs charged. Do you know why this is? Is there any problem with the compressor? If so, that's about $2000.
3. How is the clutch. This year tends to have some clutch issues which costs about $2500.

Thanks,
Casey

Then he wrote back:

The air should just need recharged
60k is up to the seller
Clutch shifts perfect

Thanks

Is there any reason to be skeptical about the A/C? I don't mind getting the 60k service myself, but will use it as leverage to lower the price. Should I be any more concerned about the clutch.

Thanks!
Casey

I'm strongly leaning towards throwing out a $27,500 bid to see what happens. Seems like that even with a few problems, that the car would still be worth it.

I'm strongly leaning towards throwing out a $27,500 bid to see what happens. Seems like that even with a few problems, that the car would still be worth it.

Casey, have you SEEN this car? If not, I wouldn't throw out anything. Honestly, I think it looks a bit ratty. The inside of the wheel (the one pic) looked like he lives off a gravel road.

Anyone near Milwaukee that could check this out for him?

Certainly have Brookfield do a PPI if you get serious.

Is there any reason to be skeptical about the A/C? I don't mind getting the 60k service myself, but will use it as leverage to lower the price. Should I be any more concerned about the clutch.
You should be concerned about all of these issues. They might be fine, they might not. I recommend arranging with the seller to get the car inspected at Acura of Brookfield, in west suburban Milwaukee, which is the nearest dealership to Racine and which has a lot of NSX expertise. That way you will know what work really needs to be done. (You might also try calling Acura of Brookfield to see if they have any service records on this particular car.)

As for those particular items, since the A/C isn't blowing cold air, this could be anything from a minor leak in the system, to a failure of the climate control unit (username Briank repairs these and is located close to Acura of Brookfield), to a compressor needing replacement for a lot of money. Just recharging the system will almost certainly not cure it. And the fact that it has not been fixed is a red flag; what else on the car isn't working and needs fixing?

It sounds like you may be confusing the 60K service with the timing belt and water pump replacement. There is a service recommended for every 30K miles or 2 years, consisting of replacing the fluids (oil, brake, transmission) and filters (oil, air, fuel) and a valve adjustment, and it generally runs around $900-1200. Note that this should be done every two years if it doesn't accumulate the indicated mileage. There is also another service recommended for every 90K miles or 6 years, to replace the timing belt; the water pump is normally replaced at the same time, and this runs $1500-1700 (in addition to the 30K/60K/etc service). It's a good idea to replace those 14-year-old cooling system hoses at the same time.

The owner says he has all the service records, so he should easily be able to tell you how many miles and how much time since the last time it had all the fluids and filters changed, since the timing belt was changed, etc.

As for the clutch, clutch lifespan on the NSX varies. If the clutch slips, it needs replacing; otherwise, it doesn't. And unless it's starting to slip, I don't think you can tell how worn it is unless you take the transmission apart, which involves a lot of labor (just like the clutch replacement).

Note, I'm NOT saying there are problems with this car. If it all checks out, it could be a great deal. However, these are the steps you can go through to answer your questions and reduce your risk by identifying how much work you will need to do to this car. If you don't, then you may have to repair each of the items noted.

Last edited:
I think you can get a great nsx for that money you just need to shop around and be patient. Get it looked at before you buy and you should be good to go. I had mine looked at by a fellow prime member before I flew out to buy it.
Hope that helps
Blaine

+1

deffinately the best advice you can find. be patient, it will pay off in the long run. do not settle until you find the one you want.

good luck.

It took me months to find my car, drove and flew to 3 different states before I purchased mine. bought it in Maryland, and then toured it back to FL.

Wow, thanks for the awesome (and quick) responses, guys!

I'm new to this forum, and I'm really impressed at the insight, help and advice that you all are so eager to provide. This forum is obviously a great community. I can't wait for more ahead.

As for the 94 NSX, I think you're right about being patient. Something about this car just doesn't feel right in my gut. I'll keep waiting and watching for now.

Besides, if the guy doesn't sell it on ebay, he has my ebay ID and can get a hold of me to work out another deal (and give me more time to really check it out).

Back