• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How long was your hunt?

Hey, guys, first forum post here. Nice to be here. I'm around on some other enthusiast sites; I've already seen some familiar usernames. Some amazing cars here. :) I apologize ahead of time if this has been discussed before. I thought maybe it would be beneficial/interesting for some to see the following discussed here now (again?), at the start of 2016.

So... How long did it take for you to find your NSX? Did you settle for a color/model/spec you didn't expect to buy? Or did you find the exact car you were searching for?

I've been on the hunt for a little while now. I'm fairly open to color and specs. A couple of friends of mine, who are members here, suggested I look mainly for cars in the 1997-2001 range. I think I have a pretty good understanding of why, and it all makes sense to me. (I'm also open to '94 coupes, and also '95-96 Ts, but I would love to get a 3.2/6-speed, pop-up lamp car. '02+ cars are great, but likely out of my budget this time.)

The problem is, it's seemingly pretty hard to find such a car right now. I was just hoping to hear of some stories of how you found your car, and how long it took to find it, etc.

Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. ;)

Oh, and please post some photos of your beauties, if you feel so inclined!

Last edited:
I too wanted an NA2 with pop ups, and I wanted all the interior and mechanical improvements that came with the 2000 MY, so I was looking mainly at 00 and 01 cars. My search took about two years. I started looking seriously summer '12 and bought fall of '14. If I could have any NSX it would be a Monte Carlo blue 2001, but those don't exist so I "settled" for a black 2001.
story & pics here: http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...months-but-finally-got-around-to-posting-this

I'd definitely make a post in the WTB forum if you haven't already. Also look for older listings that may have not sold & contact the seller, mine was found through one such listing.

Last edited:
I bought mine at the end of 2008 and probably the actual hunt only took a couple months after I got serious--however, I had been passively looking for much longer (but without actual intent to pull the trigger). At the time, I had the benefit of lower prices due to the Recession. Albeit not many, there were always a few decent 02+ cars (what I was looking for) available at any given time. Now, it seems like there is very little 02+ inventory and there is no longer a selection of colors and the asking prices have become absurd. In fact, asking prices for many pre-02's are also getting ridiculous. I'm not sure what the difference between asking and sale prices is (one of the many mysteries of this world).

Glad you are flexible on color so that can expand your options (it helped me). Happy hunting.

I too wanted an NA2 with pop ups, and I wanted all the interior and mechanical improvements that came with the 2000 MY, so I was looking mainly at 00 and 01 cars. My search took about two years. I started looking seriously summer '12 and bought fall of '14. If I could have any NSX it would be a Monte Carlo blue 2001, but those don't exist so I "settled" for a black 2001.
story & pics here: http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...months-but-finally-got-around-to-posting-this

I'd definitely make a post in the WTB forum if you haven't already. Also look for older listings that may have not sold & contact the seller, mine was found through one such listing.

What enhancements were done to MY2000? How does 2000MY differ than 97MY? Thanks.

I wasn't looking.... my friend that I met since we both had 1993 RX-7 company went IPO and he was worth millions overnight and things changed in terms of buying power for him.

Long story short after going through a few cars (E46, 2000 NSX, etc.) he called me up and asked if I wanted his NSX (see my signature). He said that it's OK if I didn't want it since my RX7 was making 430rwhp and he knew I prefer speed over luxury.

I did a quick scan of NSX values on the market at the time (it was before the subprime correction) and his NSX was worth at least $40k..... rest of the story was a no brainer.

So...... a few minutes.

Thanks, guys, for sharing.

vivanshah, 2000-2001 examples sound great. I like the perforated leather. I wouldn't choose based on that, but if the one I find happens to be from these years, that would be cool.

ozone, yeah... Id love to know what actual sale prices are, versus asking. I appreciate when a seller lists that info as well, post purchase, as it helps a lot.

BATMANs, you're friend is a lucky guy. Very cool. Nice of him to pass that good fortune along to you.

Very interesting stories so far. Please keep them coming. ;)

Quick follow-up question: How well is your paint holding up? Some of the cars I've seen have paint chipping off at the base of the mirrors, and elsewhere. Is the NSX paint prone to this, or were these examples not maintained that well? Please advise.

Thanks!

Last edited:
My search lasted about a year, and at the end of this past driving season choices started popping up for me. Enjoying my "new-to-me" early NA2 1999. I wanted a 2000-01 but the 1999 I settled for will do just fine. :)

My search lasted about a year, and at the end of this past driving season choices started popping up for me. Enjoying my "new-to-me" early NA2 1999. I wanted a 2000-01 but the 1999 I settled for will do just fine. :)

Sounds like a very nice find. Congrats. Do you mind sharing purchase details? Totally fine if you don't wish to. Any additional insight would be appreciated, though!

......BATMANs, you're friend is a lucky guy. Very cool. Nice of him to pass that good fortune along to you.......

I was the 5th owner... but it was sold amongst friends that wanted some "training" on how to navigate a rear mid-engine car while they had their F-cars on order.

My buddy now has a R8 V-10 convertible with all the options and a 335 convertible.

biggest reason for him letting go of the NSX is that he loves convertibles and paddle shifters. Otherwise he would have kept the NSX.

Sounds like a very nice find. Congrats. Do you mind sharing purchase details? Totally fine if you don't wish to. Any additional insight would be appreciated, though!

As it turns out, I lucked out. The story of my late search is in my "intro/do you know this car?" thread:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...-this-car-JH4NA216XXT000211-1999-NSX-T-silver

In short, I purchased a one-owner (Carfax says two owners, but the guy who leased it, bought out the lease) car that had been stored for some time. For what I paid, the dealer made sure all the important services were done, which is what led me to finalize the purchase of this one. My thread will show you how to ideally use the most awesome resource at Prime--the other members. The community is small but nearly omnipotent when it comes to searching for these cars. :) I could have spent less, but I now have documentation of brand new timing belt, water pump, fresh clutch and brake service, valve adjustment, etc.

I really, really got lucky, and it was thanks to Prime.

My search was quick. I posted in the WTB forum and within a few days my car found me.

I wanted a targa and I had a budget ceiling of $30K. I wouldn't have bought an automatic or a fixed headlights car but other than that I was open.

I wasn't looking.... my friend that I met since we both had 1993 RX-7 company went IPO and he was worth millions overnight and things changed in terms of buying power for him.

Long story short after going through a few cars (E46, 2000 NSX, etc.) he called me up and asked if I wanted his NSX (see my signature). He said that it's OK if I didn't want it since my RX7 was making 430rwhp and he knew I prefer speed over luxury.

I did a quick scan of NSX values on the market at the time (it was before the subprime correction) and his NSX was worth at least $40k..... rest of the story was a no brainer.

So...... a few minutes.

Seems we have similar storis. I wasn't looking at all for NSX's, was actually looking for 96-99 Viper GTS's at the time. Then a buddy of mine sent me a craigslist link to a red 91 5MT, 2nd owner with 58k miles, for $24k. Did a little more research and the rest is history. Picked it up the day before New Years Eve two years ago and drove it 900 miles home :cool:

Pretty much this, except I purchased mine in late 2013 and "settled" for a local 2000 Silverstone.

I searched for 2.5 years.

I technically "looked" for 4 years, but when i decided it was time, only took a little less than 2 months (even tho the seller dragged it out to over 3, the bastard)

Didn't give in on criteria either, got the year I wanted and a manual. Also this is one of the few cars, if not the only, i think looks great in every color it was ever made in. Having scratched the itch tho, next one i buy will have to be a Midnight Pearl :smile:

Seems we have similar storis. I wasn't looking at all for NSX's, was actually looking for 96-99 Viper GTS's at the time. Then a buddy of mine sent me a craigslist link to a red 91 5MT, 2nd owner with 58k miles, for $24k. Did a little more research and the rest is history. Picked it up the day before New Years Eve two years ago and drove it 900 miles home :cool:

The lucusy and fit and finish is better in the NSX..... I but I didn't drive it much since the GTO and RX7 was making much more power..... until I supercharged the NSX...

Took me about a year to find my NA2 Coupe. Came VERY close to another Kaiser 1999 Targa that luckily fell through since the coupe materialized literally 2 weeks later and after I had given up hope of finding one!

I was looking seriously for about a year. I find myself quite lucky as the 91 I picked up was only 20 minutes away from home. NSX's are few and far between north of the border.

I preferred a GPW or Silver, but wasn't picky. I'm so glad I got my Berlina Black. Couldn't be happier. (And lots of used BB parts available!)

Good luck with your search. I'm sure you'll be happy either way!

Lucas

My 'hunt' was from the day the car was introduced to dec 2003.

My wife and I were actually heading to the Ferrari/Masarati to look at cars, but they were closed due to the SF Auto show. Then my wife asked if there was a Acura dealer near us. I said yes...Marin Acura. When we got there, we saw a Silverstone/Onyx in the showroom with a big red tag $79,000. I found out that they were motivated to move the car out due to another one on the back which they wanted to get onto the floor. Acura would not let them put more than one NSX in the showroom. Then I stepped out and called Niello Acura (they were allowed to have more than one NSX on the floor due to volume) and asked what they had.
Niello had a Black 2004 for $89,000, Silverstone 2003 for $85,000 and a 2002 Silverstone for $76,000 - all new. So I went back inside and said I'll take the 03 for $77,000 (2k less than the sale tag). They said NO. I said ok I'll drive 2 hours and get one in Sacramento. They said wait, I said 15 minutes. So in less than 30 minutes I had my NSX for $77,000, the rest is history.

Actually...all I was waiting for was the green light from the 'boss' :cool:. The sale price also helped.

It's funny actually the previous owner before me "mike" who I bought the car from lived 30 min away and recently just messaged me asking how his old car was doing ��. It took me a whole 2 min on autotrader 9 years ago and a 30min drive. I guess I lucked out.

Lots of great stories. Thanks, and please keep them coming. ;)

I technically "looked" for 4 years, but when i decided it was time, only took a little less than 2 months (even tho the seller dragged it out to over 3, the bastard)

Didn't give in on criteria either, got the year I wanted and a manual. Also this is one of the few cars, if not the only, i think looks great in every color it was ever made in. Having scratched the itch tho, next one i buy will have to be a Midnight Pearl :smile:

Nice. I like the purple too. ;)

Took me about a year to find my NA2 Coupe. Came VERY close to another Kaiser 1999 Targa that luckily fell through since the coupe materialized literally 2 weeks later and after I had given up hope of finding one!

Wow. You have my dream spec car. Very, very nice. What luck!

My 'hunt' was from the day the car was introduced to dec 2003.

My wife and I were actually heading to the Ferrari/Masarati to look at cars, but they were closed due to the SF Auto show. Then my wife asked if there was a Acura dealer near us. I said yes...Marin Acura. When we got there, we saw a Silverstone/Onyx in the showroom with a big red tag $79,000. I found out that they were motivated to move the car out due to another one on the back which they wanted to get onto the floor. Acura would not let them put more than one NSX in the showroom. Then I stepped out and called Niello Acura (they were allowed to have more than one NSX on the floor due to volume) and asked what they had.
Niello had a Black 2004 for $89,000, Silverstone 2003 for $85,000 and a 2002 Silverstone for $76,000 - all new. So I went back inside and said I'll take the 03 for $77,000 (2k less than the sale tag). They said NO. I said ok I'll drive 2 hours and get one in Sacramento. They said wait, I said 15 minutes. So in less than 30 minutes I had my NSX for $77,000, the rest is history.

Actually...all I was waiting for was the green light from the 'boss' :cool:. The sale price also helped.

Cool story. Miss living in the city. You must scrape everywhere, though!

Still hoping something good pops up soon. I've got an itchy trigger finger, haha. Btw, if anyone wants to discuss possibly moving theirs on, please PM me here. Really though, I hope everyone keeps and enjoys their hard-won beauties for a long, long time. I know I will, when I finally find mine. Cheers.

- - - Updated - - -

It's funny actually the previous owner before me "mike" who I bought the car from lived 30 min away and recently just messaged me asking how his old car was doing ��. It took me a whole 2 min on autotrader 9 years ago and a 30min drive. I guess I lucked out.

Wow. Lucky day. I'm thinking it's now somewhat harder to find the right car, as they're a decade older now. Still, yours sounds like it was a super lucky set of circumstances. ;)

I searched all the normal channels (especially Prime) for a couple of years. A buddy imported a 03 Silverstone around that time with 5000 miles on it. I knew I wanted an 02 or newer and was partial to Silver (bright colors are great, but tend to be cop magnets, and black is too hard to keep looking perfect for me.) I told my friend to give me first chance at his car if he ever decided to part with it.

About the time I was looking seriously for one, I heard from my friend. He decided to sell his. During the time he had it, he only drove another 4000 miles. I went to look at it (only 2 hours away) and we made the deal. At that point I had never driven an NSX but I was given a drive in one a couple of years earlier. I knew I wanted one for sure from that point on, so I didn't need a test drive before buying mine. With 9000 miles on the clock I knew it would be sweet. Plus it was late fall and salt was already on the roads. I left the car in storage there till spring. That was the longest winter of my life!

As soon as the salt was off the roads I went for the car. I highly doubt I'll ever forget that 2 hour drive. The car was more awesome than I even imagined. I still only have 16500 miles showing after 4 years of ownership. Not a lot of good driving weather here for a car like mine. Combine that with owning your own business, keeping the miles low is not much of an issue. Retirement is hopefully not far off, so things will change then. I can see why it might make sense to get one with a few more miles showing(for a little less money) so you wouldn't be so conscious about racking on the miles. Maybe I need a second one! I'll run that past the wife. An Imola one would be perfect. Yeah, I know that's a bright color so it will need a supercharger to evade you know who!

My friend has the new NSX on order. Maybe he'll give me a good deal on it when he decides he isn't driving it enough. I'll certainly have to drive one of those first though, as it doesn't at this point, seem to be the kind of rig that I would automatically gravitate to. I do think it will surprise a few naysayers on here when it hits the street. The old Honda is making a return appearance. Stay tuned.

Huh. That's odd... I just finished typing out two long replies, with multiple quotes, and posted them. But then they just disappeared. I certainly didn't post anything controversial. It said for one second, after I had posted them, that the mods had to okay it/them. Not sure what happened. Mods, please advise?

In case those posts are gone forever, I just wanted to thank everyone for replying and sharing their stories. I had some follow-up questions, but they're gone now. Really not sure what happened. :-(

Last edited:
Back