• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How many Honda/Acura cars have you owned?

Originally posted by huckster:
oh yeah, bought the escalade for 39,900-fully loaded, got 1k over wholesale on tl trade.

if it wasnt a daily driver workmobile, i would have bought the lexus 470(big one). Lexus dealers provide redcarpet treatment to go along with products on par with acura.

do you think acura's 'more economical' marketing approach is hurting their service levels? they seem to be positioning themselves as 'value for the dollar' instead of 'luxury for your money'.

Hi again Huckster.

I can only speak from personal experience and say that, IMO, Acura/Honda are hurting themselves considerably by not focusing on the customer. The overwhelming majority of consumers aren't like me and are more apt to be like my wife in that in an evironment where many car manufacturers are offering outstanding products in the same highly competitive arena, the consumer will go with the product sold at the most user friendly dealership.

I said it earlier and it merits repeating. I am now hard pressed to imagine a scenario wherein my wife will not immediately go to the Lexus dealership when it comes time to replace her current Lexus. She was treated like royalty from the first instant she had contact with her dealership to every time the car is in for routine service. Lexus does not (usually) build the most exciting products but who can argue with their quality? Given that and the fact that all of their vehicles are at worst competitive, my wife (and I'm sure many like her) are easy sales.

My wife is 27. She and I are only beginning to tap into our earning potential and when you consider that she's likely to go to a new vehicle every 4 years (again, she's not a car nut like me), that represents a huge boon to Lexus/Toyota and a monumental loss to Acura. BTW, she loved her Acura vehicles but was never enamored with the service. It was good but not great.

Originally posted by akira3d:

Before some punk kids decided to pick it up and roll it down his driveway, my dad owned a 70's-era Honda 600.

Now that's a damned shame. What a cool little car!

my cousin(like my brother) and his wife bought a lexus 470. next thing you know they also bought the es/is whatever it is. they love the products and youre right--her especially--love the service.

interesting phenomenon. when we were in the dealership together, the sales and service staff focused completely on him. they glanced at me, but completely focused on him. when they were done talking and chitchatting, they asked me how i was doing. everyone there knew him, asked about his wife by name, and enquired about the kids--specifically (soccer, etc). it was almost spooky from an outside perspective.

Now i like acura products, but i hardly think they have anything over on lexus. A month before i bought my cadillac, i went to the lexus dealer(right next door) to enquire about the lx470. the service was pretty lacklustre and the salesguy actually acted like he didnt think i 'could afford' it, or was serious--who knows what he was really thinking. Point is, when i bought the cadillac i asked about the lexus dealership(owned by same people). the cadillac gm said they'd just replaced the leadership at the lexus dealership--they werent providing right service level. He said theyd had 'four or five complaints the previous month', and they (lexus & dealership owners) wouldnt tolerate that.

how's THAT for a service expectation?! they expect virtually no customer complaints related to service. I dont know if that is true of all lexus dealerships, but im starting to think it is.

like you, DeHapa, I dont need 'prince charles' treatment. but i do expect a reasonable buying experience. Our wives, however, are another story. I think benz, rangerover, cadillac, and lexus 'get it'. My experience at dodge was better than at acura. pretty sad. when my wife was pregnant the dodge dealer gm said "we dont normally do this, but go ahead and take this home to your wife. she probably shouldnt be trying to come in here to drive it. Sorry my sales guy had to come in and ask me for permission, but you are not our average buyer". I felt kinda weird about the 'average buyer' thing, but once again this was a dealership management trying to bend over to provide positive 'service' experience.

wake up acura. at least some of your dealerships need your attention in the sales department.

2002 Acura CLS Black with Nav (Wife's)
1998 Honda Civic White EX (daily driver)
1994 Acura NSX Green

------------------
1994 Green-black roof/tan, 5 speed
Do you know of another Green-Black roof NSX?? Please email me if you do.

If a stole honda /acura's cars would they qualify??
smile.gif

------------------
WWW.MYNSX.COM

In the past:
'79 Accord sedan, CVCC
'81 Civic wagon, CVCC
'77 Accord hatchback, CVCC
'86 Prelude
'87 Accord Sedan
'87 Legend L sedan
'81 Accord sedan
'82 Civic hatchback
'90 Civic wagon
Today:
'91 Accord sedan
'91 Legend LS sedan
'91 NSX

oh, and a 4X4 Suburban to tow with...

------------------
Mark H.,Atlanta
[email protected]
'91, Sebring Silver, BBSC and more...

BTW non-Hondas I've driven daily/owned in the past and present:

White Nissan 300ZX ('88my)--My first stick sports car---gave it up to my little bro so he can go plowing into someone else's rear fender every now and then.
tongue.gif
Was sold to some dude a decade ago b4 he left for Italy on a Foreign Exchange Student Program.

Burgundy Red Nissan Pathfinder 2-door (89my)--Bro went airborne and rolled it after jumping an exit ramp curb on the fwy (didn't know it was there), thanks to the advice of his friend riding shotgun who informed him that he missed the exit ramp (after almost passing it). No one were hurt. Totalled

Blue Pathfinder (91my)-- Sold it to my cousin sister, who've had the exact same experience as my little bro's, except she was hauling 4 more friends in the back seat. Some had slight concussion/neck pains and the rest escape pretty much unscathed. Totalled of course.

[This message has been edited by Zanardi 50 (edited 10 December 2002).]

Infiniti Q45 (93my)--Was my dad's ride. He left the car and lease payment responsibilities ($2200/month/WTF??) up to me after leaving the country to seek new business opportunities on his own. A wonderful car, LOTS OF torque and POWER (but heavy as a boat), served its purposes extremely well. Returned it to dealership after lease expired.

Wine Red Jaguar S-Type 3.0 liter (02my)-- My mother's car-Borrow it every now and then whenever I need some light duty hauling/people moving done. Very comfortable car (too comfy--always fell asleep behind the wheel even on a short drive), serves its purpose rather well, enough torque to keep up with traffic, but a drudgery to drive. Low/NO fun factor.

[This message has been edited by Zanardi 50 (edited 10 December 2002).]

Dodge Grand Caravan (98my)-- Great people mover, relatively trouble-free when brand new, but as the miles stacked mechanical gliches/gremlins started to surface. Currently at 80K miles, I'm planning on getting rid of it after my ex-sis-in-law finds herself a ride (she plowed her VW Jetta into a big GM van--didn't see the Stop sign) instead of borrowing mine. Gee Dickie, thanks for the scratches/nicks/dings/bumper falling off/etc.!
frown.gif
).

Possibly in the market for an Oddyssey or a MDX very soon.....

Six, in chronological order: '89 accord (retired), '92 prelude (ret'd), '98 accord, '92 nsx, '01 mdx, '02 s2000. Waiting to test drive the new Accord coupe with the 240 hp V6 and 6 speed (comes out in February).

Oh yeah, I forgot the CX650.

In chronological order but there were many cars in between
biggrin.gif

84 CRX
91 Integra GS
91 NSX
98 Integra Type-R
96 NSX

------------------
Jay
'91 Red/Ivory (Sold)
'96 Red/Black

I agree with the dealership experience. If your not at least cordial and smiling when I walk in the door, I'm walking right out.

As for good dealership experiences, Hornburg invited some good customers to a great dinner and show at the Petersen museum, brought in Dunhill, showed off a new watch of theirs. Not too bad. And as many cigars as you could carry out of the place, lol!

Being associated with the local Club has helped bring out that extra little bit of service if I'm at a different dealership then normal, as if word gets out, it could spell a lot of lost business
wink.gif

Sunny

P.S. 3.0L S-Type handles better on twisties and slalom then the 4.0L. The only sporty enough Jags worth owning are the 4.0L supercharged R variants. But at 4000+lbs, its still a luxury sport cruiser vice true world class sports car. Like the E-Type, XJ220, the shelved F-Type, XK180...

Past:
1995 Honda Del Sol
1997 Honda Civic
1991 Acura Integra
1997 Acura Integra
1991 Acura NSX
1999 Acura NSX
2001 Acura MDX

Current:
1992 Acura NSX (my new toy)

[This message has been edited by Ludgero (edited 12 December 2002).]

[This message has been edited by Ludgero (edited 12 December 2002).]

Total of 5: (Currently own 3 and sold 2)

97 Accord EX (sold)
89 CRX SI (sold)

92 NSX
89 Accord SEI
94 CBR 900RR

------------------
Biaggi
92 Red NSX #483
94 CBR900RR

Back