• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How many NSX owners from Down Under here on Prime?

Andys said:
Just out of curiosity, do you think we'll be allowed (assuming the 15 year rule stays in place) to import the original NSX-R as of 2007? I believe it first came out in Japan in '92.
I may be wrong... But I thought the 15yr rule applied to vehicles which were never imported to Australia (i.e. sold as an Australian comlpianced vehicle through a dealership)? Which would mean that the NSX will never be able to be imported under the 15yr rule. The only way I know of to get a Japan import is to live there for 12 months and bring it in as a private import.

Andys said:
I am in Sydney and my wife and I have fallen in love with the NSX
Good for you!... If you think you have fallen in love... I think it is just lust ATM :biggrin: , When you own one, then you will understand true love... :biggrin:

dippy9 said:
NSX are going pretty cheap now, i have heard of low fifties even $45 but for an auto.
Urban myth??? I have heard these stories as well but does anyone know anyone who actually bought the car? My experience is cars going this cheap are for a reason... 1. accident car 2. Extraordinarily high mileage 3. grey import with no history 4. fire sale due to impending divorce etc etc..

Let's face it, you get what you pay for!!!

The book value for a '91 NSX In Australia is 72K, the book value for a '93 NSX is 100K! Now an NSX for 45-55K??? That will get you a Commodore or a Falcon. Now, I don't care what anyone says... IMHO, an NSX will ALWAYS be worth more than a Commodore or Falcon!

To put it into perspective there are around 130 NSX's in Australia, most were automatics. So assume 60 manuals and 70 autos. Maclaren produced 100 F1s, 75 road cars and 25 race cars. So, if you are looking for an Australian delivered manual say.... then you are searching for a car that is rarer than a Mclaren F1! So don't expect to buy it for the price of a Commodore. :smile:
Andys said:
we have started to look out for one tentatively. I know they may be able to be imported from japan at the end of this year,
Are you sure???
Andys said:
but I might buy a local car if the price is right.
Just remember if it is been sold significantly below book value... What is wrong with it? The NSX although made by Honda, is more like a Porsche when it comes to parts and servicing... So buy something with documented service history at authorised dealers, they have a listing of EVERY part ever put in including any accident repairs!... And, good luck...

Thats right you better listen to the man that owns nearly 2% of all NSXes in Australia.

Andrew you are not in love, just ask NEONSX, it is definetely lust. He is dying for one but he doesnt love it enough to give up his life. You want love, check out AJNSX he has spent over $30k on his car already and he hasn't even brought the car! :eek: :eek: He even gave up his house for all the car bits and pieces. Now the only problem is to find out that exact address :biggrin:

Good luck with the purchase and i'm sure the SYdney boys will look after you well but if you really want we are planning a GOR drive before the Melbourne Grand Prix. So get it before then and bring it on down.

AU_NSX said:
I may be wrong... But I thought the 15yr rule applied to vehicles which were never imported to Australia (i.e. sold as an Australian comlpianced vehicle through a dealership)? Which would mean that the NSX will never be able to be imported under the 15yr rule.
Nope, you can import any vehicle that has been sold here, as long as it is 15 or more years since that vehicle was manufacturered. So in theory you can buy a November 1990 NSX from japan, and import it in November 2005. But, the government keeps changing the rules all the time and knowing my luck I'll just miss out before the rules change!

I know there aren't many NSXen in Australia - thats why I think it would be nice to have access to the overseas second hand market, and have the opportunity to get an 'excellent' grade car for an 'average' grade price. In theory. They're definitely cheaper in Japan.. if only because of the rarity here and the high luxury car tax that is slapped on..

AU_NSX said:
Good for you!... If you think you have fallen in love... I think it is just lust ATM :biggrin: , When you own one, then you will understand true love... :biggrin:
haha.. Well I have lusted after an NSX since I was a teenager (almost 10 years now), so I thought it qualified as a long term relationship :smile: Then again, whenever I see one in the flesh, the knees go a bit wobbly :biggrin:

AU_NSX said:
Let's face it, you get what you pay for!!!
Very true. But a 15 year old car is getting pretty old, the price naturally is on a steady fall.

As much as I love the NSX, I've been waiting for the price to come down over time (rather than overstretch my budget and not be able to afford to maintain it properly...) If I do get one I fully intend to take track it on a regular basis so if I can get a better deal on an older car, or high-mileage or worn-interior, thats fine with me :)

- Andrew

ps. saw NSX BOX car in the city the other day.. damn thats fine!!

Andys said:
Nope, you can import any vehicle that has been sold here, as long as it is 15 or more years since that vehicle was manufacturered. So in theory you can buy a November 1990 NSX from japan, and import it in November 2005. But, the government keeps changing the rules all the time and knowing my luck I'll just miss out before the rules change!

They did change the rules to prevent the flood of 15 yr older cars coming into Australia in Oct 03. Some of it is here....

Vehicles more than 15 years old
Bulletin No. 10 Importing Vehicles to Australia, produced by the Department. of Transport and Regional Services (DOTARS) contains an application for Vehicle Import Approval for vehicles more than 15 years old.

To obtain an Import Approval, which allows clearance of the vehicle at its point of entry to Australia, you must complete this application and return it to the Administrator Vehicle Standards, DOTARS.
Without this approval the vehicle will not be handed over and the owner may have to export it, scrap it, or face a substantial fine. This is determined by DOTARS.

Personal Imports
A personally imported vehicle is a vehicle imported into Australia by a person who:
is of driving age
is an Australian citizen or a migrant holding permanent residency in Australia
has owned and used the vehicle while overseas for a period of not less than twelve consecutive calendar months
has not imported another vehicle into Australia in this category in the last 12 months

To obtain import approval you will be required to provide the following documents to Dept. of Transport and Regional Services in support of your application:
copy of passport ID page, showing citizenship
copy of permanent resident visa
passport stamps (full copies)
statement of travel
purchase documents
overseas registration documents in your name

Personally imported vehicles must be roadworthy and comply with the Standards for Registration:
right hand drive configuration
complying seatbelts
child restraint anchorages for the rear seating positions
head restraints to the front outboard seating positions
glazing which complies with the appropriate standard
lights which comply with the requirements for a personal import

A personal import that is less than 15 years old at the date of import must be fitted with a Yellow Personal Import Plate

The thing that makes it difficult for importation is they want you to OWN the vehicle for more than a year and show proof of it. Im sure their will be people who will find a way around it. Then they will change the rules again.

Andys said:
But a 15 year old car is getting pretty old, the price naturally is on a steady fall.
If that is the case... Then, a brand new porsche 911 in 1981 was $50K, in '88 that same '81 model second hand was worth 50-60K. Now, it is still worth 40-45K illustrating that a car's depreciating value will eventually level-off and then maintain that value. For this reason, and in my experience, age is only part of the equation and once the car has suffered it's major depreciation then other factors such as condition/mileage/etc will determine it's marketable value.

Age, as a factor of the depreciation equation is only valid for relatively new cars.

How much was the MG worth when new? how much are they worth now?... How much was a Mazda MX5 when new? and how much are they worh now? The NSX is destined to be a classic car and it's exclusivity (I believe) will ensure it maintains it's value just as the 911 has done.

Having said that, a cars true value is what you can realistically sell/buy it for...

I hope for your soul's sake you get one soon Andrew! :biggrin: We also need to see a few more NSX's out there on track days... I'll keep a look out in my rear view mirror... :wink:

Yeah, you're right. I should just save up and jump in as soon as I can, there's not much point to waiting any longer.

ps. Which track(s) do you go to? I've only just started really, went to Wakefield with a friend's Nissan and had a blast. I've yet to see an NSX on the track in person (seen plenty of videos, thanks to members of this forum!)

I'm gone a week and another aussie appears on the forums! Welcome <B>ANDYS</B> to NSXPrime. :D

My expert advice is you need to buy an NSX. ;)

BTW, everyone see's NSXBOX's car... man, i heard him last week and I live in Melbourne! :D Oh wait... that might have been Dippy. :D :D :D :D :D

Welcome x15!

I'm not an owner (yet) myself, but an avid NSX lover from Tamworth NSW....

Currently a Type R owner, looking to upgrade as soon as I can afford to! :)

Cambo said:
Welcome x15!

Thanks Cambo!

Just flipped through the Nov-Dec issue of Unique Cars magazine, and there is a Red X for sale from Prestige Warehouse in Vic for $59,990. Didnt state the year or transmission.

Also in the same issue is a bright green 94/man with only 26,000kms, Marga Hills bodykit, HKS coilovers, exhaust and 17/18 gold BBS LM wheels, asking $89,000. Also in Vic.

Cheers x15!

My uncle Ron owns a Manual '91 Red NSX (on the Gold Coast), ever since my first drive of it I've been addicted, and a Honda fanatic.

I'm interested in a '91 and doing a 6-sp + short FD conversion... respray in CW with CF parts. Oh, I can dream :)

But right now I have to focus on other financial things so I can afford my NSX easily when the time comes :)

Cam

I just checked out www.drive.com.au and there is a wooping 3 NSX for sale in NSW and a total of 9 NSX for sale in Australia.

Talk about limited choices!!!

Well I've got a 80% chance of being relocated to work in Hong Kong for about 1.5 years. I might do a personal import on a NSX-R if I can get one in Hong Kong.

Only problem is where do you park the NSX in Hong Kong!!!!!

You want love, check out AJNSX he has spent over $30k on his car already and he hasn't even brought the car! He even gave up his house for all the car bits and pieces. Now the only problem is to find out that exact address

It's gone way past love! ;)

ican said:
I just checked out www.drive.com.au and there is a wooping 3 NSX for sale in NSW and a total of 9 NSX for sale in Australia.

Talk about limited choices!!!!!!!!
Your from Sydney... There are 5 red ones to choose from... What more do you want? :biggrin:

ican said:
Well I've got a 80% chance of being relocated to work in Hong Kong for about 1.5 years. I might do a personal import on a NSX-R if I can get one in Hong Kong.
NSX's in HK SAR are rarer than in Australia. There are a few members on this forum from HK. One guy has been looking for over 6 months for a manual to become available. You will not find an NSX-R for sale in HK either.

Look at this thread for one HK guy's experiences at trying to buy an NSX in HK: http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44204&highlight=Hong+Kong

Now, if you were going to be re-located to Japan for 1.5 years then that is a different story altogether...

ican said:
Only problem is where do you park the NSX in Hong Kong!!!!!
Well that depends on what you will be doing over there? Generally you can get a park in your apartment block, but when I was there the car park monthly rent was about the same as the apartment rent was! then you need to rent parking at your destination as well... One thing about HK.... NOTHING is for free! Everything costs! For example... If you want to have a swim in your Apartments swimming pool you have to pay an entrance fee each time you enter, just like the public pools in Australia. Difference is it is not a public pool, it is the apartment complexes pool and you have to prove you live there before you are allowed to purchase your admission!.

So there are lots of places to park but I could never justify the expense when I calculated that the cost of running the car for 12 months added up to 2x the original purchase price of the car (I was looking at a 5yr old Porsche 911) Also, their public transport is the best in the world!

Cars in HK are really only used by 1.the very wealthy 2. people who live out in the NT like Yuen Long 3. Guys living at home and trying to date HK girls......

NSX's in HK SAR are rarer than in Australia. There are a few members on this forum from HK. One guy has been looking for over 6 months for a manual to become available. You will not find an NSX-R for sale in HK either.

AU_NSX was right its very rare to find a manual NSX in HK, my friend told me most of the NSX owner in HK has got the AT rather then the MT

Back