• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

"How much did you pay for your car?"

DV8

Experienced Member
I'm nearing my one month anniversary of NSX ownership and to my surprise, this is probably the most asked question that I get from people other than what year it is. Now, I understand the nature and looming curiosity of the question but I've always thought that this was more of a confidential question than anything. I've always been one to repect a person's privacy and I've NEVER asked anyone how much they paid for their car unless it was a very close friend, but someone off the street?:confused: Or am I being a bit too meticulous about the subject?

Just wondering what type of experiences other NSX owners have with this question and how they handle it.

I would prefer to avoid the question, but (when prompted) I will usually give them the number, after prefacing it with an explanation, and follow it with the cost of modifications I have installed on the car - I find those who ask this question are typically 'in the market', or feel they will be in the immediate future.

I've been asked this question a few times, but usually by friends and family. Once a Costco gas attendant asked me. I believe that it's a pretty private question to ask. I think it's kind of rude actually. Like asking a complete stranger how much money he/she makes an hour. That's just me though.

You don't have to answer any question you're not comfortable answering. And I agree that it is rude; however, while some people really are curious about your personal finances, I suspect that others just want to know how much it might cost if they ever wanted to buy one, but are not tactful enough to use more appropriate wording.

Here's one possible answer, that avoids the personal/confidential aspect of the question:

"The sticker price when it came out in 1990 was $60K, and it went up to $90K before it was discontinued. In the used market, you can get a nice early one for low thirties, or you can pay a lot more for a newer one with the upgrades that were added over the years."

I get the "what year is it?" all the time. I say 2005 and I always get the "They still make them?" ... "last year".... this conversation I have had 10 times within 2 months of ownership.

When people ask me how much my car cost I tell them I bought it seven years ago and that it was three years old then, that I don't remember exactly how much it was but it wasn't that bad. I don't usually have to go any further.
When someone asks what they go for new I say they stopped making them in 2005 and that you can't buy a new 2006, that they don't make them anymore.
If they push I tell them you can get good used examples starting at about $30-33,000 and up and that if you find one for less it is more likely to be a car that you will need to sink a lot of money in.
If they keep pushing I smile and say that if you include initial cost, upgrades, maintenance and insurance it's about $200 a week for the rest of your life.

I'm always asked that question and my answer is very similar to the one nsxtasy posted. Then I tell the person they need to purchase one immediately and give them Prime's URL. :)

I get that a lot too, and it really pisses me off.

If they appear nice and/or interested in the car then it goes something like this:
Q: How much is something like that? (or any number of variations)
A: "Well, they made them from 91-05 and you could get one from the 20s up to the 80s depending on age and condition."
(usually followed by)
Q: What year is yours?
A: '94
Q: How much are they?
A: I don't know, I have not priced them in years. I'm sure there is info online.

If they are rude and/or interested in my finances:
Q: How much did you pay for that?
A: Its not mine, sorry.

If they are rude to the point of being confrontational, (have had this happen for no reason at all that I can figure out) then I tell them the dealer let me borrow it while my Accord was in for service.

I have a 2005 and frequently get the question. If they ask how much I paid for it, I say "Enough" and smile. If the issue is pressed I then explain the range. I try not to be rude about it, but I think it's a terribly tacky question to ask in the first place.

I think people ask because most of them have never seen one. To put this in perspective. More Corvettes are built in 3 months that the total number of NSXs that currently exist in the entire US. I don't think they are trying to be rude, they are simply curious. You have a better chance of seeing a UFO than you do an NSX.

I usually just say "More than you can afford Pal, HONDA." Then Vin Deisel normally tells me to "Smoke'em". :biggrin:

I've only been asked once on the street(I just got my nsx 2 months ago). It threw me off guard and I told them what I paid. It pissed me off after the fact because I had a close friend with me who I didn't want to know.

From now on, I'm just going to quote the sticker price 3 owners before me paid. $89,000 before taxes and shipping.

I agree with everyone here that it is a private question. I am Asian, and I would sometime take that advantage giving my answer as, "me, noe sapeak englist". :D

I just show them the original window sticker, $85,000. which all of the previous owners have left in the glove box. Of course that and the owners manuel is about all that will fit in there.:rolleyes:

I got mine for BND75K which would be around USD35K-40K. Power Steering rack had been replaced prior to purchase.

"I really don't know, I liked it so I asked my accountant to mail a check to the dealership.":wink:

"Not sure what my wife paid for it because it was a gift for my birthday.":biggrin:

"It came free with the purchase of a T-shirt."

steveny said:
"I really don't know, I liked it so I asked my accountant to mail a check to the dealership.":wink:

"Not sure what my wife paid for it because it was a gift for my birthday.":biggrin:

"It came free with the purchase of a T-shirt."

Nice Steven, I am a big fan of the "don't know, don't care, just wanted one" responses.

I tell 'em 'bout ¥10,230,040 (Yen.):biggrin:

yen.gif

I tell them I found it on EBAY and had it shipped over from Europe, (after a wire money transfer of course) for the amazingly low price of only $9500.00!!!

:biggrin: Just Kidding...lol

The correct response....MORE than a Civic....LESS than a Ferrari Enzo!

I have a picture of the factory tour with japanese guys hand assembling the car.

I whip out that picture and tell them, "I hand built this car out of ali-lum-minum, magnesium, and titanium, oh and inconel from the space shuttle for the exhaust"

Back