• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How much is this 91 NSX worth? JH4NA1150MT001526

This NSX is at the Auto Auction. I have not seen it in person or will I untill the day of the sale. It says condition is a "3" which in there opinion is "average".
DAMAGES :
FRONT BUMPER - CHIPPED
DASH - TORN
LF FENDER - SCRATCHED
REAR BUMPER - SCRATCHED

Yes, I would like a mint condition keeper, but I've had a financially rough summer so this might make for a great starter NSX IMO, depending on the money and final condition when I look at it on Tuesday.
Based on what we all know at the moment what should IYO be what this car goes for?

Attachments

• 1069374003 (Medium).jpg
    1069374003 (Medium).jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 358
  • 1069374002 (Medium).jpg
    1069374002 (Medium).jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 300
  • 1069374005 (Medium).jpg
    1069374005 (Medium).jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 324
Last edited:
Re: How much is this 91 NSX worth?

Did you also see a carfax?Service History?How many Owners?

Looks like normal wear and also it would be nice to see the car detailed to see if there are any issues with the paint job. But if you can snag it for under 25k then that would be a pretty good pick up for the car assuming everything checks out.

If that car was mint then it would go between 30-40k with low miles.

Don Corenman said:
Miles? Snap ring range tranny? Tires and wheels? Service?
All tires are said to have 2/32
JH4NA1150MT001526
Print Report
Report Generated for gregory l zelinski
For Personal Use Only
CARFAX Vehicle History Report
1991 ACURA NSX
JH4NA1150MT001526
COUPE
3.0L V6 PFI DOHC 24V / REAR WHEEL DRIVE
Standard Equipment | Safety Options
CARFAX Safety & Reliability Report

CARFAX Vehicle History - At A Glance
• 4 billion vehicle history events checked from public and private sources
• Qualifies - CARFAX Buyback Guarantee
• Last reported mileage - 107,418 miles

Summary
A CARFAX Vehicle History Report is based only on information supplied to CARFAX. Other information about this vehicle, including problems, may not have been reported to CARFAX. Use this report as one important tool, along with a vehicle inspection and test drive, to make a better decision about your next used car.

Title Problems Title Problems
CARFAX guarantees the information in this section Summary
Salvage | Junk | Rebuilt Guaranteed
No Problem
Fire/Flood | Hail Damage | Buyback/Lemon
This vehicle qualifies for the CARFAX Buyback Guarantee
Guaranteed
No Problem
Not Actual Mileage | Exceeds Mechanical Limits Guaranteed
No Problem
GUARANTEED - None of these major title problems were reported by a state Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). If you find that any of these title problems were reported by a DMV and not included in this report, CARFAX will buy this vehicle back.
Register | View Terms

Other Information Other Information
Not all accidents or other issues are reported to CARFAX Summary
Frame Damage Check
No frame damage reported to CARFAX.

No Issues Reported
Airbag Deployment Check
No airbag deployment reported to CARFAX.

No Issues Reported
Odometer Rollback Check
No indication of an odometer rollback.

No Issues Indicated
Accident Check
No accidents reported to CARFAX.

No Issues Reported
Manufacturer Recall Check
Check with an authorized Acura dealer for any open recalls.

No Recalls Reported
Basic Warranty Check
No data reported to CARFAX.

No Data Reported

Looking for other 1991 ACURA NSX vehicles like this one in your area?
Search CARFAX Hot Listings for an up-to-date list of vehicles in your area, all with the CARFAX Buyback Guarantee!

When Banks Compete, You Win!
DetailsGlossary
A CARFAX Vehicle History Report is based only on information supplied to CARFAX. CARFAX checked over 4 billion vehicle history events and found 14 record(s) for this 1991 ACURA NSX (JH4NA1150MT001526).

Date: Mileage: Source: Comments:
06/30/1992 11,880 California
Inspection Station
San Diego, CA Passed emissions inspection
09/01/1992 California
Motor Vehicle Dept. Title issued or updated
03/10/1994 37,252 California
Inspection Station
09/18/1995 51,929 California
Motor Vehicle Dept. Title issued or updated
04/08/1997 68,917 California
Inspection Station
12/15/1999 107,418 Texas
Inspection Station
Dallas, TX Passed emissions inspection
12/29/1999 Texas
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Dallas, TX
Title #05751136512143727 Title or registration issued
Loan or lien reported
02/13/2001 California
Motor Vehicle Dept. Duplicate title issued
Title issued or updated
05/21/2001 Florida
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Tallahassee, FL
Title #0083309245 Title issued or updated
Exempt from odometer reporting
10/11/2002 Florida
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Tallahassee, FL
New owner reported
Loan or lien reported
08/22/2003 Florida
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Tallahassee, FL
Loan or lien reported
09/08/2003 Florida
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Tallahassee, FL
Loan or lien reported
07/13/2006 Florida
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Tallahassee, FL
Loan or lien reported
08/08/2006 Florida
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Tallahassee, FL

Have Questions? Please visit our Help Center at www.carfax.com.
Glossary

* New Owner Reported
When a vehicle is sold to a new owner, the Title must be transferred to the new owner(s) at a Department of Motor Vehicles.
Ownership History
CARFAX defines an owner as an individual or business that possesses and uses a vehicle. Not all title transactions represent changes in ownership. To provide estimated number of owners, CARFAX proprietary technology analyzes all the events in a vehicle history. Estimated ownership is available for vehicles manufactured after 1994 and titled solely in the US including Puerto Rico. Dealers sometimes opt to take ownership of a vehicle and are required to in the following states: Maine, Massachusetts, New Jersey, Ohio, Oklahoma and South Dakota. Please consider this as you review a vehicle's estimated ownership history.
Title Issued
A state issues a title to provide a vehicle owner with proof of ownership. Each title has a unique number. Each title or registration record on a CARFAX report does not necessarily indicate a change in ownership. In Canada, a registration and bill of sale are used as proof of ownership.

Additional Services & Resources

* Insurance Center
* Lending Tree Loans

CARFAX DEPENDS ON ITS SOURCES FOR THE ACCURACY AND RELIABILITY OF ITS INFORMATION. THEREFORE, NO RESPONSIBILITY IS ASSUMED BY CARFAX OR ITS AGENTS FOR ERRORS OR OMISSIONS IN THIS REPORT. CARFAX FURTHER EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CARFAX®

ediddynsx said:
Did you also see a carfax?Service History?How many Owners?

Looks like normal wear and also it would be nice to see the car detailed to see if there are any issues with the paint job. But if you can snag it for under 25k then that would be a pretty good pick up for the car assuming everything checks out.

If that car was mint then it would go between 30-40k with low miles.
It's hard to se in that pic., but its 139K

oh in that case 20-25k should be about right unless it was in mint condition with high mileage then maybe up to 26-28k, sorry I thought it was 39k miles on the odometer.....but 20-25k range is about right for that car with that kind of mileage and assuming its not too banged up interior and exterior wise. Hopefully all the major services were done and it does not need snap ring or clutch replacement.

Make sure you get a PDI done at a Acura dealer with a NSX technician. You can always consult with Jon Martin at Cerritos Acura if you have any questions. He is the guy to go to for all NSX inquiries.

Good luck :smile:

ediddynsx said:
20-25k should be about right
iagree.gif

And, given the ratty condition, probably the lower half of that range...

Here's a couple more pics.
I agree with the ratty condition remark. I fully expect it to be rougher than I would like to own but, I'm really hoping to get it for about 20k.
As far as having a shop check it out, well that can't happen because its at the auction and I won't even be able to take it outside the fence.
What are some of the keys (MAJOR) things I need to look for on this car?
By looking at the vin Is it in the snapring range and even if it is if it has 139k surely its been addressed in the past huh?

Attachments

• 1069374004 (Medium).jpg
    1069374004 (Medium).jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 211
  • 1069374001 (Medium).jpg
    1069374001 (Medium).jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 183
Greg Z said:
By looking at the vin Is it in the snapring range and even if it is if it has 139k surely its been addressed in the past huh?
That car definitely was not in the snap ring range at the time it left the factory. Snap ring transmissions didn't start showing up until around MT002500 or thereabouts.

(If it were in the snap ring range, which it isn't unless it had a different transmission installed at a later date, there are no guarantees that it would have been addressed, despite the high mileage.)

I think 20k at most....(but hey, that's just my personal opinion)

Back to your 'financially rough summer ': Why don't you wait till you have financially superb summer, drive an easy-to-fix-car till then and get one in a much better shape later. This car just made me run away. Ratty.

Wow you have a lot of cars. Do you own all of them currently?

Could you maybe sell one and get into a better condition 91+??

rickysals said:
Wow you have a lot of cars. Do you own all of them currently?

Could you maybe sell one and get into a better condition 91+??
Yes, I currently own all of them. My wife drives the 88 black 944 & the 85 S10(for when she needs to take the trash to the dumpster). I mostly drive my 928, but alternate between that and the 83 944 Euro, 85 Fiero GT, & on rare occasion the Navigator.
Sell one? LOL, Now you're sounding like my wife! It's OK though, actually I am putting my Navi up for sale because the deal I made with my wife was that I can switch 1 or more of my current toys for the NSX, but I cannot just simply add another one. By purchasing this particular NSX before I have sold anything I am breaking that pact but I still plan on selling a couple of them as soon as I find the right butt for the seat.
Yes, like I said before I would rather buy a perfect NSX for a keeper but I'm thinking if I can get into this for the right price it would be a great starter NSX and then I can sell it and know a lil better which version of the NSX I really want for the money(na1,na2,targa,02+). Plus I am a very impatient man.

NSX FoYoAss said:
I think 20k at most....(but hey, that's just my personal opinion)

Would I second this,........or would I be third? Who wants to be fourth?

The problem with an NSX like this is there are a lot of unanswered questions which don't get answered until you have paid for it and have it home.

First off, if it had been taken care of it it would not be going through the auction looking like it does. It would have been sold very easily privately.

Second, you have NO maintenance records, none....ZIP. Unless you are going to do all of the labor, yourself, to get it back up to snuff you can get buried real quick in a car that looks like this. I would say that it has been quite neglected. Now think timing belt, water pump, thermostat, hoses, valve adjustment, all fluids changed, figure $2k. It sounds like you are going to start with a new set of tires. There is a grand if you put on good ones. Let's see I think that we are at $3K just for starters, oh I forgot, I think that we have some paint and upholstery work to do too, don't we? Can you do that yourself too?

Third, I would not pay $15,000 for a car that looks like this without being able to jack it up, take the tires and wheels off, and at least one of the valve covers. Are there any leaking shock struts, how are the brake pads and rotors, CV axel boots, oil leaks, motor mounts, general damage on the under side, suspension damage, I would want to see the inside of the engine. If it looks like the drivers seat, you don't want it!!!

Sorry, I don't want to rain on your parade, but I would rather do that than read that you got it and are having to put a lot of money into it that you didn't plan on, or have available.

I'll bet that I just made friends with your wife.

Brad

OLDMNSX said:
Would I second this,........or would I be third? Who wants to be fourth?

The problem with an NSX like this is there are a lot of unanswered questions which don't get answered until you have paid for it and have it home.

First off, if it had been taken care of it it would not be going through the auction looking like it does. It would have been sold very easily privately.

Second, you have NO maintenance records, none....ZIP. Unless you are going to do all of the labor, yourself, to get it back up to snuff you can get buried real quick in a car that looks like this. I would say that it has been quite neglected. Now think timing belt, water pump, thermostat, hoses, valve adjustment, all fluids changed, figure $2k. It sounds like you are going to start with a new set of tires. There is a grand if you put on good ones. Let's see I think that we are at $3K just for starters, oh I forgot, I think that we have some paint and upholstery work to do too, don't we? Can you do that yourself too?

Third, I would not pay $15,000 for a car that looks like this without being able to jack it up, take the tires and wheels off, and at least one of the valve covers. Are there any leaking shock struts, how are the brake pads and rotors, CV axel boots, oil leaks, motor mounts, general damage on the under side, suspension damage, I would want to see the inside of the engine. If it looks like the drivers seat, you don't want it!!!

Sorry, I don't want to rain on your parade, but I would rather do that than read that you got it and are having to put a lot of money into it that you didn't plan on, or have available.

I'll bet that I just made friends with your wife.

Brad
Thnx Brad, now I have to keep my wife off the forum! LOL ! Just kidding, Thats is what I was looking for even though it's not exactly what I asked. To answer your question, I cannot do any of the labor. I'm planning on taking an educated guess from what I can tell on the spot and trying to determine the overall condition. Quite frankly I hope it goes for less than 20k. I'm hoping for 15-18K, but I'll know Tuesday at lunch and you all will know Wed. morning. It's a 10 hr drive to the auction from here.
Can you all give me a realistic checklist that I can do at the car without a roadtest or any tools, in less than 2 hrs, because that is what I'm gonna be working with. I've never been to this particular sale but I'm sure I'll be able to drive around the auction.

Greg Z said:
Yes, like I said before I would rather buy a perfect NSX for a keeper but I'm thinking if I can get into this for the right price it would be a great starter NSX and then I can sell it and know a lil better which version of the NSX I really want for the money(na1,na2,targa,02+). Plus I am a very impatient man.

While I admire your determination to get an NSX, I am a not quite sure I understand your "need" to get one, and just settle. If you are that budget strapped, then this is probably not the car for you. And if you are as particular about cars as most of us are on nsxprime, you will quickly become frustrated with a car that could/should be in excellent to mint condition. Even if you get this car for a "good" deal at the time of purchase, you could easily have thousands and thousands of dollars in maintenance expense, very early on. Without an ability to have a PPI done, you are really playing with fire. And if I am being honest, the NSX generally is not a car that one would have a starter, but rather in investment.

It sounds a little like you have made up your mind, and that is fine. But, you will be hard-pressed to find many of us that will encourage your purchase. Best of luck!!!

djdrock said:
While I admire your determination to get an NSX, I am a not quite sure I understand your "need" to get one, and just settle. If you are that budget strapped, then this is probably not the car for you. And if you are as particular about cars as most of us are on nsxprime, you will quickly become frustrated with a car that could/should be in excellent to mint condition. Even if you get this car for a "good" deal at the time of purchase, you could easily have thousands and thousands of dollars in maintenance expense, very early on. Without an ability to have a PPI done, you are really playing with fire. And if I am being honest, the NSX generally is not a car that one would have a starter, but rather in investment.

It sounds a little like you have made up your mind, and that is fine. But, you will be hard-pressed to find many of us that will encourage your purchase. Best of luck!!!
Thank-you, you're right and thats why I think this is gonna be the forum for me. Everyone that has posted has had very intelligent and very insightful things to say with a lil opinion mixed in for good measure. I appreciate that.
NOW, READY FOR THE U-P-D-A-T-E?
I left Monday at 3pm and drove into the night getting very close then snoozing in the truck untill morning, got there at 6am and had a very long 2hrs waiting for 8am knowing my posiible future NSX was somewhere on the other side of the fence. Heres a shot of the front of the Auction and the Tow vehicle and trailer.
2nd pic.- I'm walking down the row looking and ..WAIT, is that what I think it is?
3rd pic. Yep it is
4th pic. O Yeah

Attachments

• nashville NSX 002 (Small).jpg
    nashville NSX 002 (Small).jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 111
  • nashville NSX 003 (Small).jpg
    nashville NSX 003 (Small).jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 101
  • nashville NSX 004 (Small).jpg
    nashville NSX 004 (Small).jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 99
  • nashville NSX 005 (Small).jpg
    nashville NSX 005 (Small).jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 179
  • nashville NSX 006 (Small).jpg
    nashville NSX 006 (Small).jpg
    46 KB · Views: 154
OK, so I start checking it out and it is exactly how I expected it to be. That doesn't mean everythings perfect, that just means I pretty much know what to expect and how to read in between the lines of the posted description. I start it up and the motor seems to be running smooth but with a lil vibration in the cockpit that I chalk up to motor mounts. A/C not blowing cold, carpet beyond any cleaning hopes, all lid shocks bad, aftermarket amp, missing lower front rubber valence, clear coming off on pillar inbetween door glass and back glass, all in addition to the above mentioned damage. I'm OK with all this based on what I think I'm gonna buy the car for. I'm a happy camper. WAIT!, NO, IT CAN'T BE, DON'T LET IT BE. I look at the oil pressure guage and it is only a hair above the zero! Now keep in mind I'm not a mechanic by any means, so I check the oil. Looks good. I pull the filler cap off and it looks clean with no blow-by. I call the local ACURA dealer to ask if the guage are problemactic with these cars, he's no help. When you rev and hold to 3k rpm's the guage will go up to right at 40lbs, then back down to about 0 at idle. I go to the office and persistently ask for a pre-inspection of the car with a focus on the oil pressure. It takes a while but I happen to live by the motto "MAKE IT HAPPEN" and I did, and they did. Tech says it has no readind whatsoever on his manual guage, so he rules it as no oil pressure. So, then I try to have the car labled as "no oil pressure" on the window before it gets run so everyone eles will know also but they refuse because they say the car is being run on a RED LIGHT-AS IS, so they don't have to announce nothing that may hurt the sale.
I had previously put the money in my head on the car as a 17K NSX, now I'm thinking 12-14K. Its runs and brings 17.2 to an internet bidder. So here is a pic. of what was on my trailer for the long ride home.

Attachments

• nashville NSX 013 (Small).jpg
    nashville NSX 013 (Small).jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 203
wise decision

despite of the long drive and your determination of getting a NSX, I applaud you for controlling your emotions in an auction not making irrational decisions eventhough you have the money.

No/low oil pressure is enough to tell me to STAY AWAY!

Greg...something tells me that you made a good decision. Something also tells me you have the itch, and will find an NSX in the future. The NSX bug is a great bug to have, but only if you have the patience to find a good deal. Keep us updated on your quest. :wink:

Re: wise decision

liftnot said:
despite of the long drive and your determination of getting a NSX, I applaud you for controlling your emotions in an auction not making irrational decisions eventhough you have the money.

No/low oil pressure is enough to tell me to STAY AWAY!
Thank-you, and let me assure you I was torn at the moment as to buy or not. I went though tons of worst case senarios, including the low oil pressure only being the pan return screen, but even if it was only the screen how long was it driven like that and even though the motor sounded good what if there was damage there that turned into a rod knock later or something along those lines. That is what really did it for me.

Re: wise decision

Greg Z said:
Thank-you, and let me assure you I was torn at the moment as to buy or not. I went though tons of worst case senarios, including the low oil pressure only being the pan return screen, but even if it was only the screen how long was it driven like that and even though the motor sounded good what if there was damage there that turned into a rod knock later or something along those lines. That is what really did it for me.
Exactly Greg. as you know, the NSX OEM motor is quite costly to build and not many shops know how to do it right since the car is so rare. And looking at all the cars you had/have, I would guess you probably want more hp than OEM and the cost can add up quickly $1000s at a time. Then you need more beef for the drivetrain, brakes, clutch, tuning etc....you know how that goes.
Wifey would not be happy with you as the car is turnin into a sitting money pit and your passion for NSX stars to fade.
This is a special car so I believe its a must to know the history as much as possible before determine the right price.
You will find the right car.

FROM THE FAQ
Why Does The Oil Pressure Read Low At Idle?
For 1991 cars serial number 3162 or lower, see Service Bulletin 91-008

[A/H] The specification at the engine oil pump is 0.7 kg/cm (the dash gauge reading) or (10 psi) at idle. The + - value of the gauge is 0.5 So, given all the little electrons and the hot oil molecules line up on the soft side your gauge could read very close 0 at idle. Unless the light comes on (see your owners manual) I wouldn't worry about it. You could always install a gauge and check it at the oil pump. We haven't had a problem with oil pressure in unmodified cars.

My reads low at idle as well

Dreaded double post....

Back