• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How much should I expect to pay for a new paint job?

To strip it down, level, prep (glass in or out?), etc., then a couple coats of color and a few coats of clear, then put it back together... I'd say over $10K easy.

Indeed done right from a good shop 10k and up

I charge 8K and I drop the engine and paint inside the engine bay.

I have seen some NSX that have a 18K-22K paint job and doesnt look half as good as mine and I think should I be charging more LOL

each panel needs to come off then painted

I have been quoted $3.8k from an Asian paint shop that does most of JDM stuff for show competitions etc. He has worked on NSXs before and he is familiar with aluminum. No glass removal though.

I have also been quoted $7k from another paint shop that is a Tesla authorized shop. This includes glass removal + OEM gaskets and stuff. This does not include engine bay paint.

Hope it helps.

3025786956_9df94f7451.jpg

Could money be saved by only doing front end? Road rash seems to be the big reason a repaint is done.

18k-22k? damn i need to dig out my hvlp paint gun, and go back to doing autobody work for a living. all the paint and materials would be under $1500.00, so thats alot of money for labor. and to be honest, the nsx is one of the easiest sports cars to paint. barely any moldings and stuff to take off to prep for shooting, and all the panels unbolt off. back glass is the only glass that needs removed(imo). somebody over paid. ive seen 3k paint jobs look just as good as a 12k paint job. its all in the prep work.

Follow up to Venemous42's comments

18k-22k? damn i need to dig out my hvlp paint gun, and go back to doing autobody work for a living. all the paint and materials would be under $1500.00, so thats alot of money for labor. and to be honest, the nsx is one of the easiest sports cars to paint. barely any moldings and stuff to take off to prep for shooting, and all the panels unbolt off. back glass is the only glass that needs removed(imo). somebody over paid. ive seen 3k paint jobs look just as good as a 12k paint job. its all in the prep work.

V-42
You are making good points about the prep work and cost. I am facing the same dilemna (repaint) and would appreciate your guidance on what to focus on. It seems that if I wanted a quality paint job I would want the following:
Paint taken down to bare metal
Two (?) coats of primer
Three (?) coats of color
Two or more coats of clear coat

Is this correct? Seems to me the material would be the major cost other than the aligning of panels and replacement of moldings, etc.

I am in Chicago and my plan was to hire someone to do all the prepwork at my home garage (less expensive than the shop) and then deliver the car to the autobody shop for the spray work and refitting. I am hoping I can get all this done for under $5K.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Morgan

V-42
You are making good points about the prep work and cost. I am facing the same dilemna (repaint) and would appreciate your guidance on what to focus on. It seems that if I wanted a quality paint job I would want the following:
Paint taken down to bare metal
Two (?) coats of primer
Three (?) coats of color
Two or more coats of clear coat

Is this correct? Seems to me the material would be the major cost other than the aligning of panels and replacement of moldings, etc.

I am in Chicago and my plan was to hire someone to do all the prepwork at my home garage (less expensive than the shop) and then deliver the car to the autobody shop for the spray work and refitting. I am hoping I can get all this done for under $5K.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Morgan

i would check the paint thickness with a cheap little tool they make. hmm, not sure if it would work since nsx's are all aluminum. but there's other ways to do it. but if you still have the factory paint, why strip it? scuff it, make sure its straight, and shoot it. not sure on how many coats the factory says to use, i just shoot the base color till its got good coverage, then clear coat is up to your preference. you can put 10 coats if that's what your want. but 3 coats will leave a good thickness and a deep looking shine. a good painter wouldn't even have to do much sanding and buffing, if he keeps a really clean booth, and no runs, or orange peel or fish eyes. i don't paint anymore, just don't have the arm strength like i did 15 years ago. but i was always a auto-body man and not a painter. now im a certified master gm and Toyota tech. got burn out from doing auto-body for 15 years. im not even sure if its a tri coat or just base coat/clear coat. i never looked it up. you can do either, but i would stick to whatever the factory put on it. maybe we can work something out on the prep work. i have wanted to see Chicago for some time. and if you stripped the panels down, i could have it ready to shoot in 1-2 days. i could take a 3-4 days vacation and get to see Chicago.

I grew up in and own a body shop. The difference in all of these prices relate to a number of factors. 1 some folks don'tknowknow how paint material prices have grown. Two stage can easily be $2000 in materials with a quality brand like diamont. Three stage and reds oranges can add another $800 to cost. 2- Stripping away the last two paint jobs $1000. 3- Remove and install/alignment of all panels, glass and trim. 4- Actual paint process $1500-2000. Lastly 5- Cut and buff for that flawless look $500. So a 5k and up paint job is very feasible. Please excuse typos...cell phone

Back