• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How should I clean the engine bay?

i was thinking of using multipurpose cleaner by hand then amour all on the cover. Or rngine degreaser and a hose, and wipe down after.........Any suggestions?????

try a steam cleaner if you can get ahold of one. My old HS auto hobby shop has one that the Teacher lets me use, and I plan on cleaning my engine when i get back Stateside.

I use Simple Green and a hose. After that, I apply a tire product and run the engine. Looks new.

What I do is cover the electrical components with some plastic wrap, put some water on the engine with the hose, but without a sprayer so it doesn't spray everywhere, and then spray on the Simple Green. I let it sit for a few minutes and then work in the Simple Green with a 1" paint brush. Then I hose it off with a steady stream of water. Finally, I cover the entire engine compartment with a tire spray and start the engine. Once everything is dry, it will look brand new. I complete the process with a coat of wax in the engine compartment itself.:biggrin:

Dtrigg said:
What I do is cover the electrical components with some plastic wrap
Which electrical components? Obviously the fuse box on the left side. The alternator? Anything else?

Any need to cover the air filter box?

Dtrigg said:
Finally, I cover the entire engine compartment with a tire spray and start the engine.
What's the tire spray for?

nsxtasy said:
Which electrical components? Obviously the fuse box on the left side. The alternator? Anything else?

Any need to cover the air filter box?

What's the tire spray for?

Yes, the fuse box and the alternator. Nothing else. The tire spray, for some strange reason makes the engine compartment look as if it was totally detailed. All of the rubber and other parts within the engine compartment look new. I don't take credit for this. It was posted on an auto thread with before and after photos. It could have been a NSX post, but I am not sure. I was a true sceptic until I tried it myself. The results were remarkable.

Good Trick!

We used that secret when we detailed Engine Compartments during my detail days!!

Well I agree the Tire Dressing in the Engine Compartment trick will produce great results…there is a drawback!!

The Engine Compartment gets dirtier faster.

Dirt and Dust clings on to the dressing a lot faster than if nothing were sprayed in the compartment.

If you don't drive the car much it's great.

If you do I would recommend the cleaning but not the dressing!!

yeah that is what i was thinking. A nice deep clean but no dressing. Possibly a little quick detailer on the cover might help.

Also, we have always used tire dressing on our engine compartments at car dealership.

I was also thinking the red valce cover from SOS.

Thanks alot.

When I first got my car, I bought 2 bottles of $0.99 engine degreaser and I can of ArmourAll Tire Shine foam spray.

This is what I did
1) Start with a semi-warm engine (run for about 2-3 minutes from a cold start)
2) Turn off and spray most of the really dirty parts with engine degreaser, even the painted bay.
3) Let set for 10-15 minutes
4) Respray and use a brush/agitate on those more grimey spots
5) Wait another 5 minutes
6) Rinse with a standard hose (no attachments) and low pressure.
7) I used a shop vacuum (with the hose on the exhaust side) to blow dry the engine bay.
8) Apply the Tire-Foam, everywhere in the engine bay. Be sure to get all hoses at all angles. Get it all over the place, plastics, metal, it doesn't matter.
9) Let it sit for about 5 minutes, and see if you missed any spots and respray
10) Got for a 20 minute drive and let the engine burn off the excess foam.
11) You have a sparkling shiney engine bay with all plastics back to the their original black color!

Dtrigg said:
Yes, the fuse box and the alternator. Nothing else. The tire spray, for some strange reason makes the engine compartment look as if it was totally detailed. All of the rubber and other parts within the engine compartment look new. I don't take credit for this. It was posted on an auto thread with before and after photos. It could have been a NSX post, but I am not sure. I was a true sceptic until I tried it myself. The results were remarkable.

I use this method as well except I use aerospace 303 vinyl protectant. I did my engine months ago and it still looks good. In fact my car was just in a car show and I was going to redo it but didn't need to as it still looks good. Did the same under the hood, covering all electricals, works well there too. Happy cleaning:smile:

The degreaser/tire foam method is terrific. Towel-off the surrounding painted areas well before doing it though.

I use alloy wheel cleaner that is safe for painted alloy wheels then I follow up with tire foam. When using the alloy wheel cleaner use it on a COLD engine, rinse thoroughly and dry any area that you can reach . As for the tire foam I apply it let it sit for 10 minutes, start the engine let it idle for 5 minutes, let it cool down and then wipe off the excess tire foam.

30 seconds with Black Magic Tire Foam and voila!

clean_engine.jpg

Dtrigg said:
What I do is cover the electrical components with some plastic wrap...
If you have aftermarket coil covers you might want to check the gaskets. Some were sold and shipped without gaskets.

NsSeX said:
My friend uses a pressure washer to clean out his engine bay. I personally don't see the point in cleaning one's engine bay.:confused:

The first one is a bad idea, may damage electrical components etc. As for cleaning your engine bay, personal choice, but I like a clean engine bay.

Back