• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How to bend hood safely.....

Does anyone know how to bend my hood back doown where the front right appears bent upwards...?
Thanks

I aill post a pic which I have circled where the hood is bent,
Thanks,
Dave

Attachments

• hood bent.jpg
    hood bent.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 1,304
Or you can use one of these to bend the corner of the fender up. :biggrin:

264796_front200.jpg

Is the hood bent up or is the plastic of the bumper sagging a little? Are you sure it's the hood?

The hood is definately raised up a little. It is minor but I can't stand imperfections.
Any advice is welcomed, even from the hackers!:rolleyes:
Dave

Attachments

• P1010100.jpg
    P1010100.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 1,173
Take it to a bodyshop who has experience with aluminum. Usually they might to pound it with a small mallet lightly and hopefully it will bend it back......its tough to fix something like that.......but its not that noticeable unless you point it out.

Good luck though

The hood is definately raised up a little. It is minor but I can't stand imperfections.
Dave

before bending... try seeing if there's any adjustments that can be made with the rubber stoppers (not sure if there are any in the hood area)...

I have had the same problem with my hood, which was just a little higher on the left.
Take it to a well equiped bodyshop. There are tools/machines which can fix exactly that kind of problem. I wasn't there when they did it but it works with some kind of laser device to measure the difference between left and right. It worked out perfectly for myself.

Dave

I would just try to shim the bumper. I had the same problem with my after market hood. Just remove to two screws and slide a shim or washer underneath the bracket to raise it up a hair. There is quite a bit of play with the bumper when you lift on it. Don't try to bend the hood there is a good chance you might crack the paint.

Last edited:
Bending the hood is not the answer please do not attempt to do this.
The photo(s) shown here do not portray enough to adequately advise you as to how to correct the source of the problem.

How does the hood height compare to the left and right fender edges directly behind the headlamps all along going back to the doors?

Can I get a straight down shot of where the headlamp doors meet the bumper, at the front about 3' away?

Can I get a pic of the problem area from car level looking straight at the hood corner where it meets the headlamp door and bumper on both sides?

I would recommend you listen to Pbassjo and give him whatever additional photographic "evidence" you can provide. I could not recommend Joe and Vince's Auto Body any more highly than I have for years after having him repair my NSX twice and now having him do my Mercedes E55.

Now, Joe, will you please stop holding my dog hostage? :wink:

I would just try to shim the bumper. I had the same problem with my after market hood. Just remove to two screws and slide a shim or washer underneath the bracket to raise it up a hair. There is quite a bit of play with the bumper when you lift on it. Don't try to bend the hood there is a good chance you might crack the paint.

This is good low-cost, low-tech way to reduce the appearance of the "bent" hood. We put washers under the bumper brackets of a local NSXers car who had a similar "bent" hood problem. A couple of washers, 30 minutes and he no longer saw the imperfection w/ the hood since we we raised the edge of the bumper to the same level.

I currently have the car in winter storage and cannot get it out until late March. I will take billions of photos and post them.
Thanks Fellas!!!! You guys all rock!
Dave

I need to know how to get the full details to show up on this post.
How can I get tehse pics to show up here with the detail that they posess on my computer?
Thanks,
Dave

Attachments

• P1010208.jpg
    P1010208.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 768
  • P1010223.jpg
    P1010223.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 752
It looks like the hood is sitting up higher than the headlamp cover and the bumper too...if this is the case you can adjust the rubber bumper down on that corner and then the latch down to hold the hood closed further.

But I am not a body guy so what would I know:wink:

You should email the closer photos to Pbassjo and he can tell you the best way to address the issue.

I recently noticed the same thing after installing my NSX-R chassis bars after taking off and reinstalling my front bumper.

The two non brute force approaches I've tried, but I prefer messing with the hood stops and latch a bit method versus the shim the bumper up method.

The reason for this was because the bumper would have been jacked up so high with the shims that I was uncomfortable with the clearance between the headlight cover and rubber "wiper" on the bumper cover.

My recommendation is to move the latch down a few mm and play with the stops for the hood (the ones above the head lamps, not on the radiator supports) by making 1/2 turn then 1/4 turn then 1/8 turn adjustments until you are at a happy medium. By the time you get to 1/8 turn adjustments you're really splitting hairs. This of course if just plagiarizing Pbassjo's post after I did a search on hood alignment.

Takes a bit of trial and error but it's easy to do and you can get there with enough patience.

--
George

I love your suggestion!!!!!!! I can't wait to get it out of storage and look into it.
I was rady to use a rubber sheet and cover both side of the hood and bend it downward.... "YIKES"!!!

It is minor but I can't stand imperfections.

Man it must suck being anal :biggrin: I drive mine everyday, except for the days I'm in Iraq, and I can't even remember the last time I washed it :eek: :biggrin:

Ha! I'm not the only one! Mine's so bad, every time I went to leave the pits at this past nsxpo they'd stop me afraid my hood wasn't latched.

Its frustrating because just a few years ago it was perfect. I haven't so much as bumped the car into anything. How does something like this develop?

I tell you what though, after looking closely at the panel gaps and alignments between the hood, headlight, fender and bumper, I really think its the bumper cover sagging rather than the hood being bent. The hood still matches perfectly to the headlight cover and fender, but the gap between the bumper cover and the fender is definitely bigger on the right side than the left.

Attachments

• 20061008Sebring020.jpg
    20061008Sebring020.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 1,066
I have a fiberglass NSX-R hood and there was a gap between the hood & bumper (oh so slight). I added electric tape about 1/4" (maybe less) on the hodo latch (?) to pull the hood in and so far it is ok... It's still not perfect, but I'm afraid of going anymore as it might break...

Back