• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How to FIX your Ambient Temp Fan (Dash Noise)

First off, I would strongly disagree with blasting canned air through the unit. The air is VERY cold and can damage the sensor. In addition, you are blasting dust into the rear drive mechanism of the unit. The vac approach is better, but does not always work.

Here are some links to prior discussions of this common problem:
- http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Troubleshooting/noise.htm
- http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6066&highlight=dash+noise

If you tried the above and the fan still is noisy, try this:

1. Remove the fan. (If you can not do this do not attempt this repair.) A tip for removing the upper vent assembly clips that are hard to remove without damaging the facia: Use a driver's license to push up on the clips from both sides of the vent.

Be sure the power is OFF on the car when removing the fan. It is held to the console with two BLACK screws.

2. Once removed, separate the fan halves. The two GOLD screws hold it together. Be careful not to lose the two gold Nuts. They will fall out to the sides.

fan1.gif

3. While apart, be sure there is no play in the rear half of the assembly. Push back on the electrical coils and see if the retaining clips on the back have any play. If they do, push the clips on tight. This assembly gets too close to the fan if it is loose.

4. Reassemble the clean fan/halves.

5. Take a sharp knife and remove the two BLACK retaining clips that hold the temp sensor assembly to the front of the fan housing. This will expose the BRASS nut/tappet. Back off the nut.

fan3.gif

6. Turn in the center screw until the fan does not move free. Blow on the fan to spin it. Once there is a small amount of drag, back off about 1/16 of a turn and tighten down the brass nut to secure the center screw. Reminded me of adjusting valves in a Triumph.

fan2.gif

7. Blow on the fan to be sure it spins. Go out to the car and test it before installing it

8. If you are still hearing a sound , your fan has probably moved on it's shaft. You can try moving the fan forward/back on its STAINLESS center pin until centered.

9. Reassemble/reinstall.

10. Once done, my fan was so quiet I had to look into the hole with a flashlight to be sure it was running.

11. You are done. Feels good to do it right the first time...

NSXPARTS.COM,

Your are the man! (or woman I really have no idea)

I think the driver's license idea for the center console *alone* was worth the post, but to fix that noisy fan of mine makes me like my car much more again!

I wanted to put my V1 remote display in my ash tray but did not for fear of scratching my console. I have had the thing out before but it is a major PITA to get out. And the last time the car was the the dealer they scratched my center console and had to buy me a new one. The Drivers License trick had it out in less than 5 minutes and with no scratches! Now my V1 display is sitting nicely in my ash tray away from prying eyes!!! And my fan is as quiet as a mouse!

Just wanted to post to say thanks and great work.

Jeff

Nice pictures. I did the same thing and fix lasted about 1 and a half years then I replaced it with a $13 Radio Shack ball bearing fan. I do not like to take my dash apart. Dan

I thought the ambient temp sensor is the one up front by the grill.

nsxparts.com said:
They both sense the temp of ambient air. One in the cabin, one outside.

Yes, I knew that, but let me ask you this. When you do the self diagnostic test and it tells you that there is a short in your ambient sensor, they are referring to the one outside correct? I can't imagine that they mean both.

Just wanted to update this thread since I recently went through this drama. I did all of the steps and still had the noise (including adjusting the lock nut). What I didn't do was lube the shaft... and silicone lubricant did not cut it for me. What worked was grease... I didn't have any on hand, but like the other members have posted, you can take some from the gear shift linkage and use that grease to lab the shaft.

My aspirator is not whisper quiet... after 3 tries.

I got a can of white lithium greese, the hose fits pertect in the brass hole. Load it up, and toothpich greese the otherside. Be sure to hold it the same angle as it will sit in the dash. No worries since.:smile:

How can you determine if the fan is working correct? If the fan is running do you just assume it is working correctly?

Back