• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How to gain power on Honda nsx?

Good morning nsx lovers and haters!
I came up with th question about,,,”How to gain power on Honda nsx 1st gen”.
So, it won’t be big damage for car itself, still being fuel efficient,,, disclaimer, I don’t want to have a nos under my passenger seat like Paul Walker.😅
Indeed, there are lots of ways I’m thinking to do anyways, ECU re-mapping, and placing stiffened fly wheel, pistons, crankshaft. To prepare for power gain.
I had some ideas like,,twin turbo, or even bore up.

Want to hear your thoughts.
Please forgive me for late responses and if I don’t understand in mechanics.
I‘ll hope for your kindness.

This is a well travelled topic. Search this sub-forum and the forced Induction sub-forum and you should find most of the options discussed. A few observations
- ECU remapping without changes to the engine which change its volumetric efficiency will not net horsepower increases. There may be a small increase in power with ignition re mapping if you are prepared to commit to using 93 (R+M)/2 or higher fuel.
still being fuel efficient
- you can probably kiss that idea good bye
- you have not provided any indication of what your expectations are for the power increase. If you are looking for more than 350 - 370 hp then forced induction is the easier lower cost path to a power increase.

@Old Guy I'm pretty sure this is a bot that made it through our filters, but I'll leave the thread up for now.
If that is the case, the BOTs are getting better at not looking like BOTs. I assumed an English as second language author.

You would be surprised. You can do some wild stuff with AI.

All jokes aside you want big power I would swap out the stock motor and use something much cheaper to build. Lots of “kits” available for various substitute motors you won’t mind if it goes boom and 1/4 the price to build and replace.

classic terminator member....we will soon need dogs at the door.

This is a well travelled topic. Search this sub-forum and the forced Induction sub-forum and you should find most of the options discussed. A few observations
- ECU remapping without changes to the engine which change its volumetric efficiency will not net horsepower increases. There may be a small increase in power with ignition re mapping if you are prepared to commit to using 93 (R+M)/2 or higher fuel.

- you can probably kiss that idea good bye
- you have not provided any indication of what your expectations are for the power increase. If you are looking for more than 350 - 370 hp then forced induction is the easier lower cost path to a power increase.
Sounds great, thanks for that!

You would be surprised. You can do some wild stuff with AI.

All jokes aside you want big power I would swap out the stock motor and use something much cheaper to build. Lots of “kits” available for various substitute motors you won’t mind if it goes boom and 1/4 the price to build and replace.
That’s waste of vtec, I know is better to swap but,,,

I need to post a bunch of pics with bicycles..:p

That’s waste of vtec, I know is better to swap but,,,
Both the K20 and J30 have VTEC so you're not losing it if you swap. We have this forum and the FI (turbo and supercharger) forum and you should read through as much as those as possible.

No matter which way you go, building the C30A or C32B for power is very, very expensive. My understanding is both of those engine blocks are permanently out of production, so if you blow one up, it's going to be difficult and expensive to replace it. With that said, here are the traditional pathways:

NA = Sleeved stroker (3.4 to 3.6L), high compression, big cams, ITB. This will get you close to 400 crank hp and up to 10,000 rpm of sweet, sweet VTEC. A full build like this will be around $30,000.

Supercharger
= SOS or Comptech, forged pistons and rods, ARP bolts. This will get you to 450-500 crank hp @ 9 psi. You're probably looking at around $15,000-$20,000.

Turbo = The ultimate power. SOS twin turbo or ASM single turbo, forged pistons and rods, ARP bolts. You can go to 600 hp or more, but now you need to start thinking about transmission, etc. $20,000-$30,000.

No matter which way you go, you'll need to do the supporting mods like brakes, clutch, radiator, oil coolers, wide tires, etc. because the stock NSX components won't support that kind of crazy power reliably.

Historically, most people have done the supercharger because it's the most cost effective. The Gen 1 Comptech units can be run on the stock engine at 6 psi without needing mods, other than a modern engine management system like a Motec or Haltech.

Both the K20 and J30 have VTEC so you're not losing it if you swap. We have this forum and the FI (turbo and supercharger) forum and you should read through as much as those as possible.

No matter which way you go, building the C30A or C32B for power is very, very expensive. My understanding is both of those engine blocks are permanently out of production, so if you blow one up, it's going to be difficult and expensive to replace it. With that said, here are the traditional pathways:

NA = Sleeved stroker (3.4 to 3.6L), high compression, big cams, ITB. This will get you close to 400 crank hp and up to 10,000 rpm of sweet, sweet VTEC. A full build like this will be around $30,000.

Supercharger
= SOS or Comptech, forged pistons and rods, ARP bolts. This will get you to 450-500 crank hp @ 9 psi. You're probably looking at around $15,000-$20,000.

Turbo = The ultimate power. SOS twin turbo or ASM single turbo, forged pistons and rods, ARP bolts. You can go to 600 hp or more, but now you need to start thinking about transmission, etc. $20,000-$30,000.

No matter which way you go, you'll need to do the supporting mods like brakes, clutch, radiator, oil coolers, wide tires, etc. because the stock NSX components won't support that kind of crazy power reliably.

Historically, most people have done the supercharger because it's the most cost effective. The Gen 1 Comptech units can be run on the stock engine at 6 psi without needing mods, other than a modern engine management system like a Motec or Haltech.
Mhhmm thats true,,, I’m living in Japan so myb it will be easier,,, but you got the point! Thanks mate

Supercharger

I really like the idea of NA,,, if it becomes boring which is rare? I’d at turbo lol.
Probably 3,6 NA will feel like v8.

It’s an RSX Type S motor. Any way you slice it expect to pay 2x-3x the cost to make big power. You’re also going to break a bunch of stuff as the car is getting older. Parts are getting harder to find and more expensive.

Last edited:
Damn that’s really cool!
i live in Japan and it seems like there is more perspectives for tuning and car culture abroad. Even in Russia, there are more tuned Japanese cars than here. Also, ofc in states. It’s huge.

Last edited:
For real? Is that an engine name? never heard of it 😓 I’ll try search. Thanks!
btw tho, are you all guys having nsx?

Are you sure you aren't a bot if you don't know K20 engine and you are living in Japan? But yes, most of us have an NSX. I put a Mine's Racing ECU into my car this summer and I do find it to be more responsive than before. It requires 100 RON Octane so easily obtained in Japan. I have not dyno car with this ECU so I don't know if there really is more power, or if just the same power as before is applied differently, but the car definitely performs better with this ECU.

yh I was pretending human I’m actually bot lol sorry,,,
What about using head of k20 and block from 24? I’ve heard it’s best thing you can do.

Do you dream?

Back