• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How to recognize a dreamer (fraulent buyer)?

That kinda looks like my only option also since any I'm intrested in are far from me. I have thought of shipping it! I really hate asking sellers countless questions via email, but sellers please understand, buying a car online through email is stressfull.:frown:

I have bought my last 3 cars off the net, including my nsx here on prime. E-mail use is your best paper trail for communication. I also have never had a seller ask for a deposit since I was interested enough to pay for a third party to do a ppi. All cars were over 800 miles away. The ppi's cost about $200. They take an insane amount of pics and will perform all kinds of tests if you option that. Including scoping the engine, checking oil for foreign agents, and emissions. By this time the seller is also more than willing to take additional/higher res pics for you. I also had all 3 shipped. AVERAGE cost was about .75 a mile. So NO I never personnally inspected any of the 3. Not when I can get a ASE mechanic with a mobile lift and about 80 pics. I have found this works for me only when I look at high-line vehicles. Repair and maintenance seems to be better documented. Anyway, I could go on and on about this. Hope my input helps.

By the way, we were all "dreamers" at one time. I have had my nsx for one year 5/01/2006. I dreamt for 16 years! Sometimes dreamers ask some questions out of not knowing what to ask. They also don't realize how easy it can be to become an "owner" if they just take it step by step. My dream turned to reality with a simple e-mail. And a couple generic questions to just get it going. Yours probably did too. To all the "dreamers".

By the way, we were all "dreamers" at one time. I have had my nsx for one year 5/01/2006. I dreamt for 16 years! Sometimes dreamers ask some questions out of not knowing what to ask. They also don't realize how easy it can be to become an "owner" if they just take it step by step. My dream turned to reality with a simple e-mail. And a couple generic questions to just get it going. Yours probably did too. To all the "dreamers".[/QUOTE]

We might want to relable the thread ", B.S'ers" or " Talkers." Dreamers really isn't the right term.

your totally correct....

I logged on to prime to just see what was new in the NSX world...and bought one off here the next day.

I had never driven one before that.

This thread is an interesting read. While I understand that not everyone is like I am with being more open to people being able to experience the NSX by driving or riding in it, I also think some people need to relax....espeically when selling a car.

Here is my story...

1st NSX:

When I was on the search to buy my first NSX I was barely over 21 years old and it was darn near impossible to get someone to help me with anything. Even the Acura dealer that I had bought over a half dozen cars from already would not even bother looking for a used NSX for me. In all reality, if I had not had an NSX in the family before that which allowed me to be able to drive one, I probably would have said 'to heck with this' and bought something else. Dealers would not help me because they seemed to think I was too young to afford one. What I did not understand was that at the time I was driving an Integra GS-R that was only a few months old that had listed with all of the options for over $24,000, and used NSX's were only about $10,000 more than that, so it was not like I was asking them for a new one that would have been out of range. What was the big deal? :confused:

Eventually I ended up buying one from a friend and went about my merry way. The funny thing was that the dealer had the balls when I took the car in for service to say I was lying when I told them it was mine and I had bought it!! Classic job of alienating a customer even more just because your sales guys were too lazy to help him.

2nd NSX:

This one I will make short and sweet. This car was purchased when I was in my mid 20's, so still a younger guy. I did the deal over the phone entirely. Never even saw the car, and it was in another state. I go to pick it up, the dealer had misrepresented the overall condition terribly, and when I walk in the showroom NOBODY helps me. There were literally a dozen salespeople standing at the Sales Managers desk eating hamburgers and just talking. A couple of people looked at me, but nobody helped me. Finally, after standing there for a while I had to go ASK for someone to help. I told them I was here to pick up my car, they asked what car it was, and I said I wanted to get the NSX that was outside. For some stupid reason they seemed to think I was kidding until I showed them my check for the total amount of the car. Once realizing that I was serious they then tried to jerk me around and make me pay more than the agreed upon amount and all sorts of other stuff. It was like pulling teeth. What was supposed to be a 40 minute total deal (I had told them in advance that I lived several hours away and wanted to be in and out in under an hour) turned into almost a 5 hours ordeal. It was horrible. Just trying to drive the car before giving them the check was a pain.

I think that because of all the crap and down talking that people did to me, including some people on this forum who publicly accused me of not having an NSX until they saw it in person, I am a bit more understanding of people and who may be a real buyer. Granted, if someone shows up at my house in a rusted out Nova farting blue smoke, I probably will ask a few more qualifying questions before letting them go for a drive. But you cannot rule out EVERYONE just because they will not sign papers and give you a check before even driving your car. Well...you can....but it is taking the long road to selling your car.

Meetachy1: Interesting stories. :wink:

Mine went a little bit different. I was at the dealer with my Integra (GS-R) and asked him very specific questions like timing-belt change, service history, owner history BEFORE I asked him to drive the car. So he should have realised that I was a serious buyer. But while driving the dealer rolled his eyes to my questions I didn't know why. Ok, the dealer is known to be an unfriendly a**hole so I didn't care about it.

If a buyer FIRST wants to buy drive the car WITHOUT investigating the 'papers' that's a warning sign.

But the story I've heard and I was referring above went different: The 'talker' asked the seller question over question, how to import the car and finish the deal and the seller did literally everything to sell his car in perfect condition (invested money) but the 'talker' simply went another route in the last minute and never informed the seller in any way.

Meetachy1: Interesting stories. :wink:

Mine went a little bit different. I was at the dealer with my Integra (GS-R) and asked him very specific questions like timing-belt change, service history, owner history BEFORE I asked him to drive the car. So he should have realised that I was a serious buyer. But while driving the dealer rolled his eyes to my questions I didn't know why. Ok, the dealer is known to be an unfriendly a**hole so I didn't care about it.

If a buyer FIRST wants to buy drive the car WITHOUT investigating the 'papers' that's a warning sign.

But the story I've heard and I was referring above went different: The 'talker' asked the seller question over question, how to import the car and finish the deal and the seller did literally everything to sell his car in perfect condition (invested money) but the 'talker' simply went another route in the last minute and never informed the seller in any way.

The second story would be upsetting for sure. The funny (or sad) thing about when I bought my NSXs was that I had agreed to buy the cars from the dealerships before even driving them....all they had to do was find me one. When I went in to the dealerships trying to find my first one I simply wanted them to locate a car for me to buy. I never asked to drive one, eventhough they had new ones on their showroom floor. If I had asked them to locate me any other 'normal' car they would have, but these slackers rudely blew me off. That was what really made me upset.

When I was shopping for mine, every owner and dealer said to me something to the effect of "I can tell you're a serious buyer".

I think they could tell because I:

1. Took considerable time looking at the car in & out
2. Told them about the other NSXs I had looked at
3. Was very specific in what I was looking for
4. Asked about service history and previous owner details
5. Knew what market value was for the car
6. Took notes on the car
7. Didn't ask for a test drive (initially) but asked them to take me for a ride around the block after all that was done

When I was ready to make an offer, I had my brother come inspect the car (he's a BMW Master tech) on their hoist.

In fact, I didn't even have to drive the one I bought when I was done going over it prior to purchase. I knew what the performance of the car would be, I knew how it rode (there were no rattles, power loss, off center steering, brake vibration, alignment issues).

If I sold mine, I'd be looking for a buyer like that.

Back