• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How to reduce flex?

As has been said before, there is no way to fully stiffen the car without connecting the top. There is a reason why no NSX-Rs are targas.

Turbo's pic and the first 25 seconds of this vid:

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/ksbclJ4nGSQ?hl=en_US&version=3&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/ksbclJ4nGSQ?hl=en_US&version=3&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

There goes Dave name droppin' again ;)

Honestly, If I wanted a 3.2L + 6spd that bad i'd have welded on that top looooooooooooooooong ago.

Probably cheaper to do a full 91-94 to 02+ conversion, including the 6 speed. Maybe.

Probably cheaper to do a full 91-94 to 02+ conversion, including the 6 speed. Maybe.
Agree.

Before I bought my 91 I thought heavily about the 3.2L and the 6spd. That combo is very nice. At the end of the day, coming from a CLK430 convertible (talk about cowl shake) and an S2000, I really wanted nothing to do with an open top anymore. Decided a gear swap, CTSC build, and 02 conversion was a better deal AND it's got the solid top. Long story short.. I agree with you... but that awesome 6spd and the 00+ ABS system would be nice to have. The 3.2L vs. 3.0L ... I'd rather not have the OBDII and DBW so it makes the 3.0L worth it.

If wanting to keep the car stock... wow.. different story entirely. A stock NA2 would be my choice.

Ryu, seeing the pictures of your conversion is impressive. The work looks spot on. The difference between 3.0 to 3.2 is not that much, and when you are FI, it is the way to go like you said. And if you want to get crazy in the future, you always have the option of getting the 6spd and ABS.

If I do get back in an NSX in the future, it will absolutely be a 91-94. The targa was nice, but I could never get past the flex.

The flex can 100% be fixed just not with standard chassis bracing. Pretty sure my street rollcage would 100% eliminate flex. But it's major work and expensive.

Lol. Ridiculous as usual Ross! Doubtful that this brace setup will be up for a group buy, but you never know with TURBO2GO around.

And glad to see Ross posting again. Been too long.

lol...Ross and Vegas are like prime snipers........

Can the LoveFab front upper bar be used with the spare tire in place?

and the first 25 seconds of this vid:

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/ksbclJ4nGSQ?hl=en_US&version=3&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/ksbclJ4nGSQ?hl=en_US&version=3&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

I completely disagree. The part of the video you need to watch is at 3:19

Several targa top high-end exotics are using carbon fiber int the removable tops to strengthen the chassis. I know there was a discussion a while back about doing a group buy for someone to come up with that and it got shut down before it even got started. The CF tech is now to the point where this can be done a much less cost. It would be significantly lighter than the current top. I think the Lambo Aventador Top is like 10lbs.

Several targa top high-end exotics are using carbon fiber int the removable tops to strengthen the chassis. I know there was a discussion a while back about doing a group buy for someone to come up with that and it got shut down before it even got started. The CF tech is now to the point where this can be done a much less cost. It would be significantly lighter than the current top. I think the Lambo Aventador Top is like 10lbs.

Carbon isn't going to strengthen an nsx without it being bonded to the aluminum... but all carbon chassis' with carbon cabins and interior are making their way in the peoples hands... take the Lamborghini Sesto Elemento... which will have a dry weight of less than 2000 lbs

Lambo-Sesto-Elemento-top.jpg

Not sure if we are talking about the same thing. I am talking about a carbon fiber structural piece. If it has any aluminum its only for the hardware that connects it to the car. I just looked and the Aventador's two piece top weighs 26 lbs. (13 lbs. each side) and adds 2000 Nm/degree of torsional rigidity or about 10%.

I just installed Cedar Ridge Harness bar. Very very well engineered and designed. Very solid piece of kit, and the way it is bolted together is quite amazing. Just went out for a short drive, with the top off. Seat of pants say the car feels more like "one piece" and there's less shake over bumpy roads. Almost makes the car more responsive, definitely a confidence booster.

I now have Type R front bars, Taitec front strut tower bar, Stmpo's rear strut tower bar, and the harness bar. I'm about to install LoveFab's front upper bar. The type R bars and the Taitec front strut tower bar didn't do much except to add a bit more weight to the steering. Stmpo's rear strut bar and the harness bar definitely made a noticeable difference. If I was to do it all over again, I'd consider Lovefab's three bars and the harness bar as "mandatory" upgrades to the NSX-T. I can't even fathom driving a stock NSX-T with the top down...

I have the harness bar. I don't think it made any difference even though I thought it would. The problem with chassis bracing is it's easy to imagine some level of improvement. Until you tie the two "halves" of the T together.... meaning the front half and the rear half, some place other than the floor, I don't see how you can reduce flex in that area.

The Aventador's top comes off??

I have the harness bar. I don't think it made any difference even though I thought it would. The problem with chassis bracing is it's easy to imagine some level of improvement. Until you tie the two "halves" of the T together.... meaning the front half and the rear half, some place other than the floor, I don't see how you can reduce flex in that area.

The Aventador's top comes off??

Well, that is true...the T won't be as stiff as the coupe. You can call it placebo but I do feel the car stiffer. I certainly won't be going back to drive a regular T.

I am glad I started this thread, it has been very informative. I am looking forward to the two front bars from Lovefab now.

Several customers have substantial increases in chassis rigidity, steering feel, and turn-in with our chassis bar packages. All chromoly, no "flanges" to flex; all buttressed construction.
Check them out on the website, and where we are offering a sale until October 1st. There is also a link in the Vendor section.

This looks really interesting.
Might have to try it out after winter.

I was called out somewhere earlier in this thread. I meant to say "cowl shake" is eliminated with our chassis braces. Thanks.

No disrespect Cody, but that is a very bold claim.. "eliminated". I don't see how this can physically be achieved by any bracing unless you tie the A to the B pillar somehow. I asked this before in this thread and you didn't answer. Tell me how you eliminate flex in the middle of the car by stiffening the front and rear halves. I've tried everything and there is still cowl shake. And a lot of people in the past have claimed to reduce or eliminate it. It's never happened.

Back