• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How's the NSX community in N.Carolina (Duke area)

I'm thinking about relocating at some point and just curious how the overall scene is over there? How's the weather throughout the year?

We plan to make a trip there to look at houses, any good areas that make a great place to live?

Safety
Social activities
Ease of Access
Family friendly area for kids
Car / show scene?

thanks
rick

Rick,
I live in the Raleigh, NC area, part of the "triangle" that includes Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill. Duke is in Durham. You have a lot of options as far as locating your home since commuting here is relatively easy by big metro standards.

Your NSX can be driven all year round here in NC, as the weather is pretty moderate. Winters will see a few days of freezing temps, and summers will see a few 100+ degree days.

I have had my NSX for about 3 1/2 years and have been very active in the local NSX community. I maintain a roster of NSX owners in the immediate area that currently numbers about 40. We also have the good fortune of having a certified NSX technician living in the area (Steve Gooding) who works on our cars. By the way, Steve also owns "Realty World", a real estate firm and can provide you with a lot of local information about the area. Do a search on Steve and you'll get all the info you need. Also search the Southeast forum to see some of the local activities. VIR (Virginia International Raceway) is about an hour and a half from Raleigh and is considered one of the best road courses in the country.

Let me know if I or anyone here in the local NSX community can be of help.

Good luck. I've lived down here for 10 years (originally from Pennsylvania by way of Wisconsin) and love the area.

John

John is our anchor man here in RTP. Does a good job of getting us together several times a year for NSX events. Probably one of the tighter NSX communities you will find. We all know each other and our cars. For example: I was buying a new suit the other week, the guy fitting me saw my car asked me about it and told me one of his friends offer to let him borrow his car when his was in the shop. I told him who owned that car to his astomishment.

Steve is our local mechanic who can do just about anything you want to have done on your car from simple maintenance to more involved things. Accolades abound about his work. Nice to have someone who knows these cars inside and out here. We would have never have found him eexcept for the fact that John had organized a meet for us at Grill 66 where we met Steve. (riding his Harley that day)

Pretty NSX friendly area by any standards.

The weather? Well it beats the crap our of Chicago land. Lived in both places and I'll never move back. Right now its humid and muggy and downright unpleasant to do work on cars. I changed plugs the other day and although sweat was dripping in my eyes contsantly, its doable. Chucked the wrenches to the side when I got to the fuel filter. (Anyone got a spare pair of hands they want to lend me this weekend? Its a two man job) Typically the humdity breaks the last weekend of August and you have good weather through early November. December through late February are a bit too cold for me to work in the garage, but basketball season is on by then, so I'm usually at an NC State ball game a couple times a week then. It is good driving weather for the most part. Snows two or three times, but is gone in a day or two.

You will need to make a choice when you get to town as to who you support college wise. State, Duke and that other school 28 miles to the west of Raleigh are your choices. Its a basketball state and you will need to pick a team. People at work will not accept the "I like all the teams" excuse. You don't have to decide right away, but a choice is expected. The people you will be working with will want to talk college basketball and it will be a constant thing. Get used to that. Three major universities less than an hour drive apart is quite unique and makes for a lot of fun.

We have NHL Hockey here too (Carolina Hurricanes), so being from the north land, that may be of interest to you as well. They play at the RBC center (which is where NC State plays basketball and the football stadium is right across the street) which is an easy drive from anywhere in the RTP area. Right off I-40, easy in, easy out. Leave it to the Engineering school to figure out how to move traffic quickly and efficiently. Yea, I'm biased towords NC State. Steve also gives an NC State discount (he tells me) since his kids are currently enrolled there. ;o)

An added bonus is that the mountains are a few hours away, so if you want to do some spirited driving on curvey roads, it makes for a good weekend. VIR is a little over an hour away, so if you want to track the car, that is almost too convienent.

Good luck, hope to see you here soon.

Tim

Last edited:
thanks for the replies and awesome information! I'm flying out there in a few weeks to visit some friends so will be in the area.

You make some fun points about college b-ball since I'm a Purdue graduate and we alway has the friendly IU/Purdue/NotreDame rivals all in the same vicinity as well :)

My girl is from Duke so this could be a pretty easy choice for me...haha

Sounds like a very close knit group which is kinda how our norcal NSX club is as everyone gets to know each other and very generous fellas! My nSX actually is originally from an east coast owner so it would be funny if it made the trek back there one day.

I'm going to poke around MLS since I really want a nice 3-garage house if we move over there.

One questions being that I'm originally from chicago - is there a lot of bugs/mosquitos during the summer humid weather?

rick

I'm going to poke around MLS since I really want a nice 3-garage house if we move over there.

One questions being that I'm originally from chicago - is there a lot of bugs/mosquitos during the summer humid weather?

3 car garages are aplenty- Coming from Northern Cal you should be able to take your pick.

Invest in OFF, it will be your friend in the summer months. Born in Raleigh and now live in Charlotte, the bugs and the humidity are small prices to pay for the quality of life and the ability to drive your NSX year around!

Good luck.

Michael

Hey M-P,
Thanks for posting these. i hadn't thought of that, but that certainly is representative of some of the local activities here in the Triangle area.

What's status of your transmission issue? Let me know if there is anything I can do to help???

John

Hey M-P,
Thanks for posting these. i hadn't thought of that, but that certainly is representative of some of the local activities here in the Triangle area.

What's status of your transmission issue? Let me know if there is anything I can do to help???

John

Thanks John. I have been in contact with Steve, so we are going to figure everything out shortly.

Rick,

Give me a call while you are in town you cam PM me or get the information off of my profile.

Some additional info I grew up in Chicago and started as a B H fan and going to Cubs games.

You are welcome to visit the shop and I can set you up with some homes to look at. Because I worked in the automotive field for so long I specialize in homes with shops and large Garages!!

I have a Real estate company with 35 agents we are one of the top producing offices in North and South Carolina (with Realty World)

Just to let you know If I am right we do not have a white NSX in the group and it would be nice to add an another color.

Be good drive hard have fun and we will talk soon.

Steve

thanks for the warm welcome, I will definitely be in touch with you on some home recommendations.....

my personal email is: [email protected]

If you have some MLS listings for homes that would help and I can share it with my fiance.

I'm still not sure if I'm going to bring my nsx to N.C. or leave it in my CA home for now. We will definitely be in touch.

rick

Rick,

Give me a call while you are in town you cam PM me or get the information off of my profile.

Some additional info I grew up in Chicago and started as a B H fan and going to Cubs games.

You are welcome to visit the shop and I can set you up with some homes to look at. Because I worked in the automotive field for so long I specialize in homes with shops and large Garages!!

I have a Real estate company with 35 agents we are one of the top producing offices in North and South Carolina (with Realty World)

Just to let you know If I am right we do not have a white NSX in the group and it would be nice to add an another color.

Be good drive hard have fun and we will talk soon.

Steve

Been debating a few things:

1) Buy or rent first to get to know the area....

2) Bring my nsx or leave it at our cali home...

how is Cary vs. Raleigh/Durham areas? I guess I'm looking for something similiar to our current norcal bay area style living :)

It is up to you on the area Cary is more like CA and Raleigh is more like Raleigh. Either way I think you will like it. Most people who move hear wonder why it took so long to find this place. Great people and great weather except for one month but not bad considering. Feel free to give me a call 919.524.9848 :smile:

Just sent you an email. Welcome (in advance) to the Triangle- I moved here from the DC area 4 years ago and would never go back.

Just sent you an email. Welcome (in advance) to the Triangle- I moved here from the DC area 4 years ago and would never go back.

Where did you send the email? I didn't get anything? my email is:

[email protected]

You will need to make a choice when you get to town as to who you support college wise. State, Duke and that other school 28 miles to the west of Raleigh are your choices. Its a basketball state and you will need to pick a team.
Tim

You can tell there are those who have difficulty with coming to terms by stating the "other" school to the west --- is of course THE University of North Carolina. TARHEELS!!!
I think they won the National Championship last year.......let me check.... yep, they did.

Any room here for a Purdue Boilermaker fan! :biggrin: :biggrin:

Well I could sense the rivalvry being displayed by the students even on a holiday with the definitive color differences! We were walking around UNC campus to dinner and she had to hide her Duke jersey :eek: It seems UNC is all about the baby blue ~ yuck not really a man's color! jk

Any room here for a Purdue Boilermaker fan! :biggrin: :biggrin:

Well I could sense the rivalvry being displayed by the students even on a holiday with the definitive color differences! We were walking around UNC campus to dinner and she had to hide her Duke jersey :eek: It seems UNC is all about the baby blue ~ yuck not really a man's color! jk

Always room for a Boilermaker. They would be a challenge for the Wolf Pack boys.......

Carolina Blue...will grow on you......

Do you play golf?

Back