• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Hummer H1

So I'm looking to add a multi purpose all road vehicle for camping, beach crawling up and down the coast with overnighters in mind and just about everything else I like to do outdoors. I have owned the FJ Cruiser and loved it. Sold it for various reasons. I have always loved the h1 from my days in the military. So with that said, I'm thinking about picking up an H1 to add to my garage. Has anyone here owned one? I'm always interested in hearing the opinions and stories from the forum family! I already know they drink lots of fuel and are maintenance heavy if neglected. The military version is the same way. :biggrin:

The he reason for the FJ reference is because that's my other choice. Buy another FJ and outfit it for the same outdoor duty described above. Our first stop Moab and arctic circle...in the springtime, not winter!

Last edited:
For the money of an H1, I'd prefer a newer Jeep Wrangler 4 door. Put a decent lift on it and away you go. Plus, there are endless accessories for those now.

I drove my cousins 94 around for a while, it was done up all bad ass but slowwwww as could be. I think the newer turbo ones should be a bit better. They're holding value pretty well so won't depreciate like the FJ, just depends on the level of comfort you want.

I do not own a H1, but I am in the middle helping a friend swap an engine in his H1.
He has owned 2.
He drives them like you would like to. He has taken them across country many times and to Alaska.

The reason for the engine swap is for reliability/economy/performance, + current engine and trans are both inoperable. Truck has sat for 4 years.

He purchased a wrecked Chevy truck with an EcoMax.

Will end up costing him about $25K when done.

The H1 Alpha is the one to buy, It has the EcoMax installed by the factory... Its a little more $ than an FJ.:wink:

hummer.jpg

Drove one a few times. Interesting experience to say the least. You are already aware of the cabin layout et cetera given your prior experience. FJ is great, have driven my father's a couple thousand miles. As unique as the H1 is, I would be taking the FJ on any cross country trips.

Back