• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

I am effin' sick and tired of UPS

Sorry, but I've got to vent.

I ordered the SOS Stage 1 ECU from Science of Speed on Thursday. Chris told me they had the item in stock, and he could send the item out on the same day. I remembered that there was a track event this weekend, and thought that it would be nice to have the ECU here beforehand. So, I told Chris to send it overnight and I'd pay the extra $20 to get it here.

Now I am a single guy, and I live alone. I work all day, meaning I am almost never at home when the Fedex/UPS/USPS people make their deliveries.

I had thought for some strange reason that SOS used Fedex for their shipments, and I had always had great experiences with Fedex in the past. When I'd have something shipped overnight, sometimes they would call me before delivering it to make sure I was at home. Other times, they'd leave the package with a neighbor, or even keep their pickup location open a few minutes so I could get my package on the same day that the item was supposed to be delivered. The bottom line is that I have never failed to receive a package one way or another that was sent overnight via Fedex.

UPS, on the other hand, is far less reliable. About 10% of the time I use UPS, I get the package a day or more later than their web site says. I've had packages get damaged, and been through hell trying to take off of work to meet up with them at my house to get the package. One day, they were supposed to deliver it in the morning and I ended up waiting all day at home until 4 p.m. before they delivered it. It cost me an entire day at home from work....a lot of money.

When I pay someone $20 extra for them to get an item to me overnight, then they should deliver it, give me an opportunity to pick it up, or refund me the money. I wasn't here to receive the package, but they should keep someone in an office on a Friday when an overnight package isn't delivered. It's completely unsatisfactory to make someone wait 3 days extra when they paid for overnight delivery. Surely this happens quite a bit.

My package today did not arrive at my house, and instead there was a "failed delivery attempt" sticker on my door. I called the UPS people and they told me that the earliest I can get the package is Monday. If I had something perishable sent to me (like saltwater aquarium fish) then they would be dead. My circumstance isn't a dire one like that, but it's still very frustrating that I've just been ripped off $20 and ended up without something I really would have liked to have in my possession this weekend. They close their pickup office fairly early, considering they attempted delivery at 6 p.m. and I called them at about 8. Also, they are not open at all on weekends, so I'm SOL until Monday.

I told the UPS lady on the phone that this is yet another reason why I no longer use UPS to send my packages. Their customer service sucks, plain and simple.

GRR!

/rant

Sorry to hear about your frustrating experience today. I am in the same boat as far as being single/living alone. What I've done to try to prevent this kind of thing is, I've told the UPS driver (the same guy always does the deliveries AFAIK) to put the packages behind my gate on the side of the house. This way, no roving thieves and whatnot will see the package on my porch, and the driver understands that I will usually not be at home during his route.

Regardless, that just sucks that you paid for the expedited shipment and UPS dropped the ball. :mad: :mad:

Viper Driver said:
UPS, on the other hand, is far less reliable.
Can't agree with you more - they are totally inept.
I went through a period of several months where the route driver insisted on delivering my packages to an address with the same street number but a completely different street address! :mad: The only other commonality was that my street & the delivered address both happened to share a common cross street. It was frustrating because the tracking showed it was delivered but wasn't around. The initial package was delivered early in the week & the recipients were out of town till the weekend when they brought it over to my house (we didn't know the people at all). Then it happened multiple times but I pretty much knew where to start looking.
I asked the local route supervisor how my deliveries kept going consistently to the wrong address, even after I had complained on each previous occasion? He replied it was because the driver now "knew" that to be my address after several deliveries there!!!! :rolleyes: I next asked how the driver could possibly deliver my packages to a house, which admittedly is on a corner of two intersecting streets - yet neither of those streets is mine!!!!!!! All three streets are clearly indicated with signs at each intersection too.
After ripping him a new one, I've actually had decent service since. (I believe the supervisor actually drove out to my house to personally locate it) However, I still try to avoid them where at all possible. FedEx ground rates are soooo much cheaper too!!!!!

Ya it sucks that you didnt get ur item. I know mine isnt that bad, but my ups delivery guy will sometimes just throw the package on or behind a bush by the truck. No joke. I was actually surprised once someone was expecting a package on friday from fedex, and they didnt get a chance to deliver it so they sent a person out on saturday to deliver it. Thats what i call service.

Don't you mean F'n sic n tyred!

I'm going to throw my .02 onto the table with Viper. They suck. Plain and simple. But I would like to point out that even if you are not single, it doesn't mean that the Mrs. doesn't have a full time job too. I've tried to teach my dogs how to take a pakage from UPS but they just end up delivering UPS and postal man body parts to me. ;)

I asked Seth if there was any way out of the "signature required" crap that we deal with. Because of the volume of business I geve them (Read: I'm broke!) we were able to work out an alternative this past time that has them sending my direct to my Acura Service Center where my car has a permanent bay and rack on which I pay rent monthly. :(

I definitely can relate. I'm also a single guy who works a normal 9-5 job, so of course I'm never home when UPS tries to deliver a package. Despite leaving notes for the delivery people on the door of my apartment stating to simply leave the package, they hardly ever comply, and I end up having to go to the delivery center to pick it up. The kicker came when I ordered a replacement for one of the wheels on my NSX which was bent. It took me a while to find the right wheel, since the model I have had been discontinued. Finally I managed to find a vendor that had the right wheel, but it was a Wednesday and I was planning on taking a 700mile road trip in the NSX the following Friday, so I wanted the wheel ASAP. The vendor couldn't ship the wheel that day, so I paid an extra $40 to have it shipped overnight in order to have it by Friday. I also made it clear to them that I most likely would not be home when the package was delivered, and they should send the shipment as "No Signature Required" so that the driver would leave it even if I was not home to sign for the package. Well, sure enough, I got home on Friday night to find the dreaded InfoNotice post-it note on my door, and needless to say I was livid. I wasn't sure at that point who to blame, since it was possible that the wheel shop I order from hadn't followed my request. Of couse the UPS delivery center was closed, so I had no choise but to drive my Integra on the road trip (grrr.....) and wait to find out who the responsible party was.

My answer came the following Monday when I got home from work to find the package sitting in front of the door to my apartment. Printed directly on the shipping label, in large, bold letters were the words "
LEAVE PACKAGE AT DOOR, NO SIGNATURE REQUIRED!!!!! ". Then, just to add insult to injury, I open the package to find that the wheel was slightly dented during shipping! It was only a superficial little indentation in one of the spokes, but still, the wheel was not poorly packaged, and I completely trust that the vendor I was dealing with was honest and did not send me a wheel that was damaged to begin with. I talked to them a little about trying to get UPS to pay for a replacement, but he advised me that it always turns in to a long, drawn out process and in the end they just end up blaming the damage on poor packaging. Plus the wheel was discontinued and I had a hard enough time finding one, so I figured that it just wasn't worth the hassle. In the end my only real recourse, as frustrating as it is, is just to use FedEx whenever possible. I will NEVER use UPS again unless I'm absolutely forced to. My experiences with FedEx have always been positive, and I haven't had a single problem with them.

I feel your pain...
Our UPS guy is pretty good - but the Airborne/DHL guy is a complete a*hole. Doesn't even ring the doorbell - just throws the package onto the porch - and on the ones requiring a signature he doesn't ring and doesn't leave a notice. This week I was waiting on a couple of things from the same company. One arrived with no sign of the other one. A day later still no package so I checked the web site and it says "attempted delivery" on the previous day and that it is out for delivery again. Since it was already like 5:00pm I was concerned and called them. The office was very nice, said the guy was still in the area and that it would still show up. Later I checked the web site and it says "attempted delivery" 5:37pm! Package finally shows up at like 6:40pm after I have them page the guy - and then he can't even bother to come to the door - he's kind of down the steps far enough I have to walk down to sign for the package - and he's got an attitude 'cause he had to come back. Jerk! I think he just tried to blow off the stop because it was getting late. Ah - I feel better now after venting.

The big problem with UPS is how they make it near impossible to pick-up your package on the same day of a failed delivery attempt.

When they make a failed delivery attempt (i.e. you weren't home), they leave you this "InfoNotice" slip with a special InfoNotice number. You have to then call their 1-800 number, give them the InfoNotice #, and ask to have the package held for pickup at your local depot.

The problem with this system is how the package will not be available for pickup until the NEXT day, even if you paid for overnight delivery service! In other words, if the UPS driver shows up at your house and can't deliver because you're not home (or maybe beacuse you're in the bathroom), then it's GAME OVER-- your "overnight" delivery has just failed and there is nothing you can do about it (short of driving aroung the neighborhood looking for the UPS truck).

You can try to show up at your local UPS depot just a few minutes before they close in a vain effort to pickup your package the same day, but my experience shows this is a complete waste of time. The person working the customer counter always says one of the following:

(a) I checked and the driver for your area has not come back in yet and we're closing soon anyway, or
(b) Your driver came back, but he has left for the day and they have no easy way to find your package.

I have tried at least 5 times over the past few years and never once have I managed to snag my package at the UPS depot without first calling the 1-800 number and playing their waiting game.

Contrast this to my experiences with FedEx... Every single time I have gone to the local FedEx depot, I have successfully managed to pick-up my package on the same day of a failed delivery attempt. One time I even arrived a good 30 minutes after they had closed. I knocked on the locked door and they let me in anyway and gave me my package. That is what I call good service and why I use FedEx when I have a choice.

I'll join this club....

Once I had ordered a bunch of parts from a few different places. I think it was 8 total packages. 5 sent UPS and 3 Fed Ex. These packages came (supposed to come) over a 1 week period. The 3 from Fed-Ex came as posted online. The UPS packages said "delivered" on online tracking, but I never received any of them. It turns out the UPS driver delivered all my packages to 5 different locations on 4 different days. None of these had a similar address or contact name. WTF. They were able to retrieve 2 of them, but 3 of them I had to make a claim on.

Go FED EX!

Sorry, but you guys are wrong. Most people use a carrier like UPS or FedEx because they DESIRE proof of delivery - ie: a signature that someone received the goods. You pay for this service. If YOU don't care about signing for your packages, YOU need to file a permanent sign-off notice with the carrier. Then they will leave packages anywhere you want, without your signature, unless the shipper requests a rare type of delivery that MUST be signed for. An example of that is a passport.

Note that when these carriers fail to leave your package AND you've filed your sign-off sheet, they will refund your money. I've found UPS and FedEx to be very fair when dealing with these issues, as long as you have followed thier rules.

WoW, and I thought that I was the only one who felt this way about UPS.

I completely understand.
1) I told my concierge to receive the package from UPS while I was away. When I came back, I asked the concierge if she received anything from UPS. She said no. I, then, checked the tracking system, and the package was already delivered. I have been going back and forth about this with the UPS, and still not resolved.
2) I waited at home for UPS on a promised date, and I did not get a package. My wife waited for the package the next day, and she did not get a package. We called UPS, and they said that no one was at home both days so that they took it back to their inventory?? :mad:

I will never ever use UPS, and I do not feel comfortable purchasing things from stores that use UPS.

I haven't read the whole thing but I know enough to say:

[size=+5]UPS SUCKS![/size]

Never, never, NEVER go with them. Ever.
Use [size=+3]FedEx[/size] and make your life 100% easier.

I'm not affiliated with either companies

Last edited:
You Guys are Wrong!

Sorry guys, you don't have the stats to back up your talk.

First, look at any large, successful company. A company like Home Shopping Network ships 87 million packages a year. At an error rate of half of one percent, they will still have over 40,000 packages mis-shipped. Why do I say this? Because no one and no company is perfect and to expect same is short sighted. So if you have a story about one or two packages, sorry, but statistically it doesn't count.

I am the Sales Manager for an automotive safety products company. Last year we shipped about 5,000 packages. One, yes 1, was mis-delivered by UPS and they sent a taxi to pick it up and redeliver it in a snowstorm the next day. So far this year we've shipped about 9,000 packages with no errors.

They are by far the most business oriented, consumer friendly package delivery organization. They offer superb advice and software tools FREE to businesses and truly seem interested in having their customers succeed. They have earned my business. 'Nuff said.

Re: You Guys are Wrong!

Soichiro said:

It turns out the UPS driver delivered all my packages to 5 different locations on 4 different days. None of these had a similar address or contact name. WTF. They were able to retrieve 2 of them, but 3 of them I had to make a claim on.

I have to disagree. 5 out of 5. In the end 3 out of 5. Still waiting for resolution on 1 of them, its been over 5 months.

Re: You Guys are Wrong!

Soichiro said:

Well, I could give a rat's ass about statistics on a large-scale company. Sure, UPS might be peachy keen wherever you live, but my point is valid and apparently others on this site feel the same way.

I ship and receive packages all of the time, both from businesses, friends, and stuff I buy on Ebay. I have had problems with Fedex and USPS, but they are nowhere near the number or magnitude of some of the problems I've had with UPS. Talking (okay, venting) with friends over the weekend, and I am finding out that UPS is not regarded very highly at all here in my city because so many people have the same type of issues with them.

Fedex is WAY more customer-oriented that UPS, at least here in Albuquerque. Like I said, they go out of their way to make sure the package is delivered, ESPECIALLY when it is shipped overnight. UPS, on the other hand, attempted to deliver the package to my house at 6 p.m. on a Friday night, and when I called at 8 to see if I could pick it up, they told me I was out of luck until Monday morning. This has got to happen to more people than me, and the extra $20 I spent would pay the minimum wage salary of someone to stay at their pickup counter for 3 hours! If they aren't going to follow Fedex's lead and deliver an item on Saturday, then they should at least allow someone to pick it up over the weekend sometime. Hell, even their 1-800 service line isn't open on Sundays to answer questions. For such a large corporation who's focus is on customer service, it sure seems to suck real bad to me.

Maybe their focus is on the business side, and that's why companies continue to use them as their primary parcel shipper. Unlike them, I am not treated very kindly by UPS, so I am going to use Fedex from now on. As a matter of fact, I'm having a friend in Phoenix pick up the rest of my order from (insert aftermarket NSX parts vendor here) and shipping it to me via Fedex just so I can avoid going through the same crap I always seem to go through with UPS.

/rant

I am in agreement with your hated of UPS in no uncertain terms.

Just last week I sent a body to a destination in 137 different packages via UPS. Seventeen of these parcels never made it to their destination. How can I effectively extort people with a postal service like this? :D

I signed a form for FedEx saying they can leave anything requiring a signature at my door and used the "filed" signature. I wish I could do that with UPS since I'm never home. What really pissed me off with one delivery was I called them as soon as I got home after missing the delivery and tried to schedule to pick up in the morning. But they refused! They told me I could only pick it up after they did all 3 delivery attempts. What a load of... :mad: They're warehouse is just up the road from me.

Mr.Wolf said:
I am in agreement with your hated of UPS in no uncertain terms.

Just last week I sent a body to a destination in 137 different packages via UPS. Seventeen of these parcels never made it to their destination. How can I effectively extort people with a postal service like this? :D

:eek: :eek: :ekk:

Well why don't you just take care of the postal service like anyone else? :D

Back