• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

I am in the market for an NSX but I am in a dilemma ...

I have a budget of $60K for an NSX. I have been keeping an eye in the market for quite some time and realize that for $60K I can only get pre 97 model with relatively high mileage. My primary preference model year is 00-01 with better interior while still having the flipped lights and my secondary preference is 02-05 under 50K miles. I have a mint 08 S2000 that I can sell for over $25000, which means my budget can be extended to $85K that will offer me a lot of choices, but I really do not want to sell my S2000 for funding an NSX. Here is the dilemma, should I keep my S2000 and lower my requirement to pre 97 model with high mileage or should I just sell my S2000 to fulfil my NSX requirement?

Rudy

Last edited:
Have you driven an nsx yet? Most S2K owners like the nsx better and some like both.

No, I have never driven an NSX and so I have no way to compare the difference. I do not use my S2000 for tracking/autocross and also no plan for the NSX for the same purpose. They are just my weekend's car on the country side road.

The nsx is very old technology, that’s what makes it fun to me. If you daily drive, you may like the S2000 more, hard to say. The worst thing you wanna do is sell your mint condition car until you’re sold completely on the Nsx platform. Unfortunately test driving these vehicles is almost impossible unless you have cash on hand. I’d drive one first and decide.

i can't see any reason to keep an S2000 after you buy an NSX. i had an S2000 owner come to test drive my '96 NSX years back, and he had no desire to keep both after he drove the NSX.

there's no comparison...

fastaussie I dunno. I've driven S2000's and still like them lots. Different from my NSX's (which had first)!

Welcome Rudyy!

You are in a good place with your car interest budget at $85K.

Appears your 2008 S2000 is paid for. I certainly would not move it to get into your dream NSX right now.

$60 K 1997 and newer NSX cars are out there. See this thread of a NJ NFR for sale recently. It sold well below its first listed price.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...r-3-2L-NO-RESERVE-car-will?highlight=red+1998

Appreciate your desire for a 2000-2001 NSX – perforated leather interior and still pop ups. Also, the 2002 and newers – of which you have your choice of 858.

If you have not already, post an NSX WANTED add here, outline your budget and expectations. Provide your geographical location for viewing availability/shipping/PPI’s. Then monitor this forum for signs of present members feeling the urge to………to……….. to move on.

Good fortune in your search.

-aluminum, 2004, and orange

:smile:

I’ll let mine go for 67k and it’s supercharged. Check it out. Also, if you don’t want the blower you could take it off and sell it for 6,000. Though once you drive it you will love it.

It’s not that much of a stretch with your budget. Keep the s2000 and eat ramen noodles for a few months. :)

Last edited:
Ever thought about a non-targa 93-94 car?
With the cash you have (and keeping the S2K) you should be able to get a nice car in this range and have money to make it as you wish.
These cars are a little more rare, but if you wait they come up.
You don't get Electronic Power steering - but you do feel the road maybe a bit more (but have to crank the wheel sometimes).
In MN I am fine without the removable roof 90% of the time - sometimes in the middle of summer - well I just roll both windows down.
Good luck on the search.

I’ll let mine go for 67k and it’s supercharged. Check it out. Also, if you don’t want the blower you could take it off and sell it for 6,000. Though once you drive it you will love it.

It’s not that much of a stretch with your budget. Keep the s2000 and eat ramen noodles for a few months. :)
Good deal here and you get a CTSC on top!

Help us understand what exactly do you like about a 97+ car?

I prefer the traditional flipping lights, better interior with perforated seats, and the 6 speed transmission. Those are the reasons why I go for 00/01 model. My 08 S2K color is NFR with black interior and is completely stock without any modification. I am also looking for the same for the NSX so that both cars will compromise each other. With the limited budget of $60K, I know it is very difficult to find but I am not in a hurry.

Last edited:
Ever thought about a non-targa 93-94 car?
With the cash you have (and keeping the S2K) you should be able to get a nice car in this range and have money to make it as you wish.
These cars are a little more rare, but if you wait they come up.
You don't get Electronic Power steering - but you do feel the road maybe a bit more (but have to crank the wheel sometimes).
In MN I am fine without the removable roof 90% of the time - sometimes in the middle of summer - well I just roll both windows down.
Good luck on the search.

Sorry - OK- I neglected the six speed - have thought about this - what am I missing. Even watched the parts for conversion.
This could be a deciding factor. (Still love my car though as is - no one looking at it knows it has five speed unless they are NSX-ers)

I prefer the traditional flipping lights, better interior with perforated seats, and the 6 speed transmission. Those are the reasons why I go for 00/01 model.

i think you'd be very hard pressed to tell much difference between the 3.0 and 3.2 engine unless you drove them immediately back-to-back. and honestly, i think the 5-speed transmission works better on the street than the 6-speed. i've owned both NA1 and NA2 cars, they're pretty much the same in almost every way. the newer the model is obviously the more superior overall, but the real world difference isn't much. the '95+ transmission has tighter gear ratios though, which definitely help the car stay in the powerband better.

as you said, take your time and find exactly what you want. they're all great cars...

Sorry - OK- I neglected the six speed - have thought about this - what am I missing. Even watched the parts for conversion.
This could be a deciding factor. (Still love my car though as is - no one looking at it knows it has five speed unless they are NSX-ers)

Albert86, your from Falcon Heights, MN? Are you part of Minnesota NSX club yet?

Ruddy - if 6 spd and 3.2 is what you desire, its not too expensive to get seats and door cards reupholstered unless your original oem preforated seat covers matter that much.

I just wanted to chime in on the s2000 aspect. The s2000 is a completely different car. I just bought my NSX and all I can say is that it's much less frantic and in another way much more direct than the s2000. Both are great cars, and I would suggest keeping both. But to be honest, I think the NSX is a better car (Shhhhh don't tell my s2). I am keeping both and I would have it no other way.

Thought I'd give my 2 cents as a fellow NFR S2K and NSX owner. I'll be honest, the first time I test drove my NSX I wasn't very impressed(But wait!). Perhaps, because I'd hyped it up to be some video game speed machine. The more I drove it and switched back and forth, the more I realized how the drive was more refined and how much more I enjoyed the NSX experience. Coming from an S2K I can't imagine not having the Targa top and losing that top down feel. I daily my S2K, and consider my NSX my weekend vacation experience. Don't let a higher mileage NSX scare you as long as you have awesome maintenance records. I've got a 3 inch binder full of almost every record of service done to my 127K NSX from the previous owner and I sleep well at night knowing it's been cared for, maintained, and most importantly driven. If you're ever in the Dallas area I'd be willing to let you test drive mine to see what you think of the 5 speed.

It all comes down to what purpose will your NSX serve you?
Are you going in with the thought of selling it eventually to break even or make a profit?
Are you going to get it meticulously detailed, remove every swirl/scratch, and keep it that way?
If you plan to daily drive it, are you ok with the possibility of the occasional door ding, scratch, rock chip?
When you take a friend out for dinner are you the type to worry about your car to the extent you can't enjoy the dinner?

Rudyy - PM me. I have a lead on a couple 97’s if you are interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ll add that both are red/tan and one has 37K miles and the other 57K Miles. I tried to PM you but it wouldn’t allow me to. You must have that feature turned off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Going to chime in as well. I came from an S2000 to NSX. At the time I had to sell the S2000 to get the NSX. I hadnt driven one before and they are very different cars. The S2000 is more fun on the track and for every other situation the NSX is the better car. I missed the S2000 and bought one again for a short time but realized I did not need it. For my nsx I knew what I wanted. a coupe not a targa and a car that was the lightest purest form. I have a 1991 with a few upgraded and shorter jdm final drive and gearing. I would suggest you take you money and find the best example you can for the $$$ you have.

Sorry, I am new to this forum. I do not see anywhere I have a mailbox that I can send and receive private messages.

Welcome. Your account is to new to be able to send / receive PM's. You can 1) post a phone number for texting, 2) post an email address, or 3) become a forum member ($25 per year) and have full privileges plus increased storage limits for photos. Plus you help support this great site and its resources.

Back