• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

I am looking for a good mechanic

It's time for a new clutch and I have never used a mechanic on my NSX yet. Anyone have any recommendations on a good mechanic for a clutch job in the Southeast New England area? I have read about some bad experiences on NSX Prime and I am hoping to avoid any problems.
Thanks!
Nick
Swansea, MA

Hey guys thanks for the solid recommendations. It's a 90 minute drive for me but it sounds like it's worth the trip.
Nick:smile:

I just had a TB/WP service and several misc repairs done by Larry. This is my first experience going to Larry and I'm very happy with the outcome of my NSX. The quality of his work and knowledge of the NSX is phenomenal. If you're looking to have any major repairs or services done on your NSX. Larry is without a doubt the man for the job.

Larry B for sure... he did mine 3yrs ago? or so and its still holding up (knock on wood!!)

Can Lud please make a sticky stating that Larry B is the ONLY mechanic worthy of your time and money in the entire Northeast region!!!! :biggrin:

Folks,

Thank you all for your kind words. Nick will be in good hands with Mitch, that is for sure.

Regards,
LarryB

Many thanks to all replies. I made an appointment with Mitch at Mechanics Direct. Sounds like a good guy and his prices were definitely better than the local Acura dealership who did not inspire much confidence.

You won't go wrong with Mitch.

If you would rather have the work done by an Acura dealer I would call Sunnyside Acura 603 880-6550 and talk to David Boucher, Service advisor extrordinaire. They have two veterans there who have been working on NSXs since they came out. They have done great work for me and always bend over backwards to honor warranties, etc. Tell them William with the 03 NSX Silverstone recommended them to you. (I am NOT knocking anyone else!)

Oh yes, there is still no sales tax in the great state of NH.

If you would rather have the work done by an Acura dealer I would call Sunnyside Acura 603 880-6550 and talk to David Boucher, Service advisor extrordinaire. They have two veterans there who have been working on NSXs since they came out. They have done great work for me and always bend over backwards to honor warranties, etc. Tell them William with the 03 NSX Silverstone recommended them to you. (I am NOT knocking anyone else!)

Oh yes, there is still no sales tax in the great state of NH.

Thanks for the info! I already sent my car to Mitch at Mechanics Direct. I haven't got it back yet but he has evaluated my NSX and so far I am impressed with his attention to detail.
Thanks!
Nick

Hey Nick,

I would be interested to hear what you had done and how it all worked out for you.

Thanks!
-Randy

Hey Nick,

I would be interested to hear what you had done and how it all worked out for you.

Thanks!
-Randy

Hi Randy,
I originally sent the car to Mitch to have the clutch replaced with a new factory clutch and have the valves adjusted. He went through the entire car since I have not had the car professionally service since I have owned it. He found some other things that needed attention:
- replaced spool valve seals
- replaced camshaft end gaskets
- replaced oil pan gasket
- upper radiator tank leaked so he had it repaired
- replaced upper and lower radiator hoses as a precaution
- replaced clutch master and slave cylinders
- Wheel Alignment
- repacked and reband left CV boot
- Replaced Battery

After picking up the car and driving it for a few hundred miles the check engine light came on I also noticed that the clutch chattered slightly when taking off and I could smell oil burning off the engine. I called Mitch and he was very good about getting the car back in to look at and correct the issues. He also sent a flat bed truck to pick the car up at his expense since I live 90 miles away. He still has the car. I spoke with him yesterday and he found that two of the oxygen sensors on the left bank are "kind of lazy" and need to be replaced. He says this means that they don't kick in right away and they trigger and engine code which in turn turns on the check engine light. He is keeping the car for a few days and driving it to make sure that all problems are solved. I'll let you know how things are when I get her back. Even though I had a problem and needed send the car back, I do not at this time, hold it against Mitch. He was very professional and did the right thing. I am in a service business myself and understand that things do not always go as planned. Sometimes you learn more about a person and/or company by how they respond when there is a problem. So far so good.:wink:

oxygen sensors are wired in series in the later cars. One could be good and the other bad; no way of telling in situ so best best replace them both but I'd keep the old ones - one might be good and ok for an emergency.

oxygen sensors are wired in series in the later cars. One could be good and the other bad; no way of telling in situ so best best replace them both but I'd keep the old ones - one might be good and ok for an emergency.

I have a '96. I am not sure if that's the case with this year. Mitch says he was able to test them individually. The two on the left bank are the problem. One is not working at all and the other is out of spec. One on the right bank is just within spec but he recommends leaving it until it fails or causes a problem. Thanks for the info.

This is not true. 02 sensors are independently wired and have their own isolated codes. It is easy to isolate them when you troubleshoot. The only vague issue is when the car is not quite running right and there are no codes. My other post in the "hesitation" thread defines how to isolate and fix this.

LarryB

I have a '96. I am not sure if that's the case with this year. Mitch says he was able to test them individually. The two on the left bank are the problem. One is not working at all and the other is out of spec. One on the right bank is just within spec but he recommends leaving it until it fails or causes a problem. Thanks for the info.

96 are cover under Emission Warranty Extention. Good for 15 yrs and 150,000 miles.

Back