• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

I am really proud of myself

It's been 6 months and a day since I quit smoking cold turkey. Albeit that may not seem like a long time to some people, but I consider that quite an achievement. Just thought I would share
smile.gif

Well done! Any tips on the success story? I'm really trying to get my gal-pal to quit as well.

------------------
'96 Black/Tan NSX-T
NSX-R short gears, Exedy clutch, Dali swaybars, Carbotech brake pads, Bridgestone S-03s

Thanks! Soulstice: I wish I can give you some pointers, but the fact of the matter is a person will never quit smoking until they really want to, and I REALLY wanted to. So, I woke up one day and threw away all my cartons of cigarettes, lighters, and matches; and I haven't gone back since.

Originally posted by fangtl:
Thanks! Soulstice: I wish I can give you some pointers, but the fact of the matter is a person will never quit smoking until they really want to, and I REALLY wanted to.

Totally agree. I quit 15 years ago now, and it wasn't hard. I just had to want it. I was a 2.5 packs/day smoker.

Congrats on your achievement! After the first few months it's all down hill. The cravings keep getting lighter, and further between. Just DON'T start again. No point in going through the first few months a second time
smile.gif

I tottaly agree with fangtl, there's no such thing as physical dependancy, its all in in your head. If you really want to quit, you will. I quit smoking...err..mari.. doesnt matter what i quit smoking, the point is i wanted to stop, and i did. just like that.

one more thing,that was along time ago, before i went into the military. oh yeah, i didnt' inhale also.

Great job buddy! You have just minimized the risk of oral cancer by 50%. And, if you consumed alcohol while smoking you decreased the risk by 100%. So many people don't understand the unseen risks of smoking, and some of the effects are permanent. Also think about the cost of smoking. How many Comptech Superchargers you could have bought with all those packs of cigarettes?

Once again, congrats on breaking a real nasty habit. Start putting the money that you used to spend in a water jug. I'd say that within two years you'll have a nice SC on your NSX.

I also quit 8 months ago. It is a very hard thing to do. I have read some studies that quitting smoking is harder than quitting heroin. Cigarettes are 7 dollars a pack here in NY. In 8 months I have saved $1600 plus dollars. In another month or so I am going to reward myself with a new exhaust for the car. WOOHOO. However I did not do it for the extra money I did it for the new addition to the family, my sisters baby KYA. I really want to be around to watch her grow up.

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I am glad to see there are other NSX owners out there who kicked the habit. BTW, although I didn't do it for money, I have discovered that the money I would've spent on cigarettes will be more than enough to cover my insurance premiums for a full year eek!

Dr. Lane: What do you practice? Mind if I ask you for some medical advice
biggrin.gif

Thumbs up!!
Its my last vise.Seriously .
I have not yet been able or "totally willing to quit".
She hates that I smoke and wishes I would quit soon.
At least theres a lot of NON-smokers here to be supportive when I choose to stop.
I have noticed it is definatly "uncool" and not the "in" thing to be a smoker and that helps too. WWW.MYNSX.COM

Originally posted by fangtl:
...Dr. Lane: What do you practice? Mind if I ask you for some medical advice
biggrin.gif

I'm a dentist, but I pretend I'm a race car driver in my NSX!

Feel free to ask me anything you want. If I cannot offer assistance, I can at least help you on gathering the correct information.

Originally posted by NSXrebel:
I tottaly agree with fangtl, there's no such thing as physical dependancy, its all in in your head. If you really want to quit, you will. I quit smoking...err..mari.. doesnt matter what i quit smoking, the point is i wanted to stop, and i did. just like that.

Yes, determination and well is key to quit. But, although few in numbers,there IS such a thing as physical dependancy. People that are physically dependent on smoking is what the term "addict" really refers to. Others
(the mojarity) whom are not physcially dependent that smokes a lot is not technically "addict."

Phsyical dependence of nicotine ceases after a 48 hour period of withdraw; the rest is up in the noggin'

Dr. Lane, please check your email when you get a chance, thanks.

I am proud of all you guys. I lost my dad when I was 30 to smoking related illnesses, and the only reason I had him that long was his doctor told him to quit 20 years earlier if he wanted to see me graduate from high school. Well, he made it through 3 of my graduations, including Vet school. Those who care for you and most importantly your body will thank you for doing this the rest of your lives.
biggrin.gif

------------------
Gary Yates
1995 Red/Tan

Originally posted by Koji_NSX:
Hi Dr Lane, I work at a largest dental lab here in So.Cal. Did you ever had a chance ordering from us.

Which lab, Glidwell? If so, I've used them before for provisionals. I have a local porcelain technician who is very good, but I'm always willing to give other labs a try.

I'll e-mail you my office number and let's talk. I'm starting some full reconstruction cases that I'd love to share with you.

Also, fangtl, I never recieved your e-mail.

Yes... Congrats! I am on my Second week smoke free. I had been smoking for 17 years. I have tried to quit before, but this time I actually feel good about it! It’s nice to see a lot of support from the non-smokers; it really helps to have that support factor!

Now I can save the $1,000 plus dollars a year for NSX goodies…

[This message has been edited by NSX2B (edited 27 October 2002).]

Back