• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

I gave-up and bought this...

I've been checking this section for the next NSX since I saw my first photo of the HSC back in 2003? My wife owns a new Civic SI ... and I've been a Honda fan for 20 years. But waiting for the next Honda sports car (S2000 or NSX) I just don't see anything happening. I always wondered why Honda sponsors Indy car (which I follow) but doesn't sell a sports car?

Well, I finally stepped into a Porsche dealership, and although I found the 911 a little too "GT" for my taste... The Cayman was so much fun to drive that I bought a 2012. I like the retro looks, and found the recent spy photos for the next Cayman due out in 2013, a bit too Nissan-Z looking.

If you haven't seen it yet... here's a design comparison looking at changes over the years (3rd car down is the 2013 Cayman vs 2012 Cayman) with the classic 911 and 944 tossed in for evolutionary design comparison.
BlackfamilySmall-1.jpg

Last edited:
While I sympathise with your thinking - you're missing out on a used NSX - or did you have one? Not sure but if not you should have gotten the NSX and you'd at least know what it was all about.

I like the Cayman too - and I like the others you show but the 2013 Cayman will most likely look a lot different than the spy photo you posted. They always do. Interesting that you chose a Cayman and still have a handle with NSX in it? Curious.

thats a good car, but certainly not an NSX nor a Honda. at the time you could have gotten a new 2002+ NSX... not to mention the S2000 was available up til recently.

I like the Cayman as well. My choice would have been the new Cayman -R.
Before I purchased my NSX. I had a deal on a 06 Cayman S. The seller backed out last minute and I got the NSX instead.
Oh, and I still had $30K leftover in my back pocket...

I've owned a Ferrari 308 and a Lotus Esprit in the past. In 2003 I was looking at buying a new NSX, but saw the HSC and decided to wait for the new model. Its been a long wait.

Recently I thought about buying a used NSX or Gallardo. The Gallardo caused too much unwanted attention. My wife likes to drive also, and she felt uncomfortable when she drove the Lambo. The NSX is a long-time favorite... but after 20 years, the original NSX design is starting to grow old for me (notice I just said "starting").

Its just a shame, because I love Honda and have never been a Porsche fan-boy, but I needed a car that could be both (daily driver and weekend fun car) and Honda has just dragged this on for way too long. (If you haven't driven a Cayman, give one a try. It reminds me of what the 911 was 30 years ago- light, agile, small, and fun):smile:

Last edited:
I've been checking this section for the next NSX since I saw my first photo of the HSC back in 2003? My wife owns a new Civic SI ... and I've been a Honda fan for 20 years. But waiting for the next Honda sports car (S2000 or NSX) I just don't see anything happening. I always wondered why Honda sponsors Indy car (which I follow) but doesn't sell a sports car?

You are not the only one, I've been hoping for the NSX true replacement for years...along with many others.

Well, I finally stepped into a Porsche dealership, and although I found the 911 a little too "GT" for my taste... The Cayman was so much fun to drive that I bought a 2012. I like the retro looks,

There are a few Porsches I really like, Carrera GT, new Hybrid roadster...that said I think it's funny that you say the Caymen has retro looks when I think in the grand scheme of things Porsche hasn't done anything evolutionary in a long time with regards to looks.

If you haven't seen it yet... here's a design comparison looking at changes over the years (3rd car down is the 2013 Cayman vs 2012 Cayman) with the classic 911 and 944 tossed in for evolutionary design comparison.
BlackfamilySmall-1.jpg
[/QUOTE]

You should drive an NSX just for kicks if you haven't already. Only thing you may hate is the HP, but it should be close to that of a Cayman.

Very nice acquisition. I realize that this thread is digressing some, but I, too, fell in the "lets wait and see what Honda will come up with". What a mistake! In 2004-05, I was ready to buy a NSX; however, the dealership & media were all talking about the "next" NSX. I decided to wait and in the interim acquired a S2000 (which I still have). Now years later, after multiple rumors of the "next" NSX...nothing.

Like others, I am now shopping around for other brands. Honda/Acura is about to permanently lose some die-hard fans to their competitors. The multiple "next" NSX posts and media blurbs have almost become comical for they seem like discussions about alien abductions. You are curious to read about it and then just laugh.

Personally, I think Honda/Acura is in a sad state of affairs. When I recently visited the dealership to pick up some parts, I perused through the dealership to look at their current vehicular offerings. Nothing grabbed my attention. Sure they were nice, clean and shiney, but definitely not attractive or exciting.

Personally, I think Honda/Acura is in a sad state of affairs. When I recently visited the dealership to pick up some parts, I perused through the dealership to look at their current vehicular offerings. Nothing grabbed my attention. Sure they were nice, clean and shiney, but definitely not attractive or exciting.

+1, there is nothing in the current Honda line up that I want, let alone lust after:frown:

Unfortunately Honda sports car days are over, nice cayman btw

Cayman is a great choice! I love my NSX and thats my sports car until it falls apart (I save the automotive ADD for me and the wifes daily drivers), but you CANNOT go wrong with a Cayman at all.

Pound for pound the Cayman is *the* sweet spot for Porsche IMO (better value than 911, and I love 911)

Back