• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

I get about 220miles for a full tank, is this normal?

Hi guys,

I haven't post anything for a while now. I was just wondering what's average miles expected out of full tank. I don't drive it hard, I don't think.

Any inputs? It's a 98 with 43k miles on it.

Thanks

I got close to 400/tank all on the highway in my 92.

Considering the size of the fuel tank and that you should be getting at least 20 MPG, 220 sounds low; 300 should be attainable.

What is the actual calculated MPG? I get 18-22 around town, around 30 MPH highway at 70-80 MPH, and about 10 MPG on track.:smile: Stock '91 5-spd with aftermarket exhaust.

Are we talking manual or automatic transmission? Automatic would be at a disadvantage in fuel consuption compared to a manual.

I see to normally get 220 driving around town. But I know there is a lot more left in the tank when the fuel is pointing at 0.

My 91 got 27 MPG on a long trip and my 02 gets just over 26 MPG Hwy cruising at 70 to 80 mph and 19MPG City. On the hwy you should be getting well over 400 miles on a tank. Is your engine significantly modded?

I *can* drive my car such that I get 24mpg, but who wants to do that? I rev it out at every opportunity and get around 17mpg. On intense canyon runs, 15mpg.

Then again I have gotten 270 miles on a tank before - but the needle was below the line at that point and I filled almost 15 gallons afterwards. Not so good for the fuel pump so I don't really plan to make a habit out of it.

Seems very low but it all depends on your driving habits.

Really depends at what point the OP is refilling his tank. Calculate MPG and get back to us...
Yup. Miles per tankful isn't meaningful because of variations in the number of gallons you use in a tankful.

In my stock-drivetrain NSX, I usually got 18-24 mpg in local mileage (towards the top of that range when a tank was mostly highway miles, lower when it was mostly on city streets), and 26-30 mpg on long trips.

Yeah, I could have gotten 220 miles on a full tank, if I filled it around when the tank was still half full. :wink:

I've had mine for 4 months and I do the calculation after every refill. (I've put 5,000 miles on it... I JUST did the math, that's about $1000 in gas so far!!!)
I get 17 to 21 miles per gallon... mixed city/highway... but mostly city (any highway trips are only like 30 mins there, 30 mins back... maybe twice per tank)
Which is right around 250 miles per "tank" (when I refill I top-off at about 13.5 gallons pretty much every time, give or take). I do run the tank pretty low, pretty much right before the E. I'm going to stop doing that.

i usually go about 330-350 miles to the tank. I generally get around MPG mixed city/highway and fill about 14-15 gallons each fill up.

well I normally play the empty tank game while driving I have gotten the needle about1/4th inch from the last mark before I get scared lol

Last edited:
Hi guys,

I haven't post anything for a while now. I was just wondering what's average miles expected out of full tank. I don't drive it hard, I don't think.

Any inputs? It's a 98 with 43k miles on it.

Thanks

One important thing to factor in here that no one else has mentioned is your aftermarket wheels/tires. From the looks of it, you're upsized which would mean your speedometer may be slightly off/getting a bit more miles to the tank than you think since the wheels are turning less than the oem 16/17 would be. You may also fill up a bit before you need to. As others have mentioned, even when near E I believe our cars have a bit more to go. I usually get around 250-300 miles per tank... on my 18/19 wheel setup with some mods.

I've never ran it low enough to EVER see a gas light come on in the 10+ years of owning, but others claim there is one.

I use to get 400 miles per tank if I pussyfoot it with stock injectors, but with RDX injectors, I consistently get more than 400 miles a tank before the fuel light comes on (which translates to 26-27 mpg). This is mostly highway driving....

I do a mix of high way and stop and go driving. I'm usually getting 300-330 miles per tank and that's filling it up with about 12-14 gallons. If I drive highway mainly with little stops I can get up to 400 miles to a tank. I don't think I've ever really drop below those numbers. I usually fill it up right when it's reaching the empty line but I don't wait for the light to turn on.

send your fuel injectors to RC for a cleaning and bench test.

I get about 220miles for a full tank, is this normal?

No, unless that is on the track. Before Charlotte got "transformed" I would get 26 mpg at steady state cruising at 80 mph. That translates to a range of 481 miles. Now that she is boosted my steady state mpg is about 19 which translates to a range of 351 miles. If I stomp on it, that all goes to hell very quickly though. :)

I just drove 1100 Km's (683 miles) this weekend on a quick road trip. Averaged around 75 mph. Used about 1.5 tanks of fuel. Well over 400 miles a tank.

Last edited:
220 miles per tank? I typically get to half tank by the time I roll 220 miles. Where in Chantilly are you, 2fast2c?

Only mods that are done to the car are uni filter, taitec gt lightweight exhaust, 18/19 set up. No engine mods.
I used to get little more around 300 miles, as it ages it's getting little worse, that's all. Over all, car is in great shape, I love this car, trying to drive it as much as I can, especially with weather like these.

thanks for all your inputs.

Now, Go drive your nsxs.....

- - - Updated - - -

220 miles per tank? I typically get to half tank by the time I roll 220 miles. Where in Chantilly are you, 2fast2c?

It's me, Andy....

Hahah Andy! Long time no see! Only several more weekends before people chicken out of the local weekend meets!

Back