• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

I get about 220miles for a full tank, is this normal?

Miles per tank is an ABSOLUTELY USELESS measure of fuel economy. How empty is the tank when you refill it? How accurate is YOUR gas gauge? Is your tank filling completely before the auto-shut-off shuts off the pump? WAY too many variables.

My fillups are usually around 13 gals and 300 miles. That's about 23 MPG. A/C is on most of the time this time of year in Texas. And I regularly see redline in bursts.

When I drove it home from Colorado after I bought the car I got 29 MPG on one tank.

For my '92,
Best was ~28 mpg coming back from Chicago with two people and the car fully loaded.
Average highway way is 26-27 mpg.
Mixed city/highway is 24-25 mpg.
Aggressive driving no less than 20-21 mpg. (I have to try really hard to make it go under ~23 mpg.)

Driving home after I bought the car, I hit at least 450 miles on one tank from Miami to the Georgia border before filling up (driving straight through, I did not stop once while going through Florida). I knew I was pushing it though as I definitely had less than one gallon of gas left (filled up just over 18 gallons if I recall correctly). This made me truly appreciate the NSX even more.

For me, each tick mark is ~2 gallons/~50 miles, therefore 1/2 tank mark is ~8 gallons/~200 miles, and empty mark is ~16 gallons/~400 miles.

The past 9 months:

rsufFtth.jpg

Average MPG: 26.12
Maximum MPG: 33.56
Minimum MPG: 20.64
Total Miles: 20168.9 (about 2/3 highway, 1/3 surface streets)
Miles per Fill Up: 280.12
Miles per $: 6.75

Typically I will be at about 220 - 230 miles driven at the halfway mark on my tank. "In theory" I can probably get down towards 400 miles on a tank before the gas light comes on, but I've only let it get that low once.

- - - Updated - - -

That crazy max/min spike was from going up to the NE NSXCA River Run. Great MPG on the drive up; terrible MPG driving around with other NSXs hahaha

Can anyone confirm when their fuel light comes on and appx how much is left when it does? I pushed it to the last mark the other day but still didn't get a light.

Can anyone confirm when their fuel light comes on and appx how much is left when it does? I pushed it to the last mark the other day but still didn't get a light.
Click here for the answer.

If you filled the car and it took less than 16 gallons, you just didn't get the fuel level down enough for the warning light to come on.

You have to go past the last mark before the light comes on. I have found right when it starts to dip below the last mark the fuel light will start to flicker on and you have about 3 gallons of gas left. Once it comes on steady, you have about 2 gallons of gas left. I just filled my car up yesterday and put in 16.5 gallons when the light came out steady, give or take a few miles to find a gas station. Although these are just estimates, it's pretty consistent for me. I get about 22.5-23 MPG generally. My light starting to flicker on at my friend's house which is a little over 20 miles from my house. By the time I got to the gas station in my area the fuel light was on steady. Given I get about 22-23 MPG, and I traveled about 21-23 miles, I think those are pretty good estimates.

So for those of us getting 18-19mpg, what repairs/modifications can we do to improve that? Over the winter I plan to store the car, so I can have the car immobile for several weeks (mail parts out for restoration??). I have a '96 with 60,000miles, completely stock....... not sure why I get such horrible mpg??

Ok, guys I get about 16-18 mpg (250 per tank).

But I didn't buy my NSX to get good fuel economy.
I just drive it and enjoy every mile...MPG never enters my mind :cool:

Ok, guys I get about 16-18 mpg (250 per tank).

But I didn't buy my NSX to get good fuel economy.
I just drive it and enjoy every mile...MPG never enters my mind :cool:

Nice shades cool guy.
I'm merely saying that if EVERYONE ELSE is getting a hell of a lot more mileage than I am, than I'm thinking something is WRONG with my car. I have 60k miles, and people with 150k+ are telling me THEY get better mileage??? I'm a tad concerned something is wrong. (only owned mine 6 months... and already found out about one "thing" I got SCREWED on)

Again, I *can* get 23, if I drive it like an Accord. But I drive it like it was meant to be driven and I get 17 MPG. 87k miles on the car.

I'm seeing close to what some are getting. 2005 NSX, air filter is clean. All city driving including the daily commute. AC always on (even with targa top off; I like to blow it on the feet).

Damn 99 rs, I've never had the needle that low! I guess I WOULD get 300 miles if I let it go that low. (someone once posted something saying it was bad for the fuel injector or something else if you let it go that low, so I always fill-up by the time it hits that last little white line)

If you want better fuel economy, drive more on the highway with the cruise control on. I've put over 100,000 miles on my NSX and my fuel usage is remarkably consistent. I get between 19 and 21 on surface streets and 27 to 29 on the highway. Mixed driving gives me something in between.

I'm merely saying that if EVERYONE ELSE is getting a hell of a lot more mileage than I am, than I'm thinking something is WRONG with my car. I have 60k miles, and people with 150k+ are telling me THEY get better mileage??? I'm a tad concerned something is wrong. (only owned mine 6 months... and already found out about one "thing" I got SCREWED on)
All you need to do is make sure the maintenance is up to date, including things like the air filter and valve adjustment. Other than that, the big variables are things like driving style (gentle acceleration and steady speeds vs hard acceleration and varying speeds), highway driving vs in-city with stops at red lights, and calculation errors (you'll get more accurate figures if you average mileage over several tankfuls).

Damn 99 rs, I've never had the needle that low! I guess I WOULD get 300 miles if I let it go that low. (someone once posted something saying it was bad for the fuel injector or something else if you let it go that low, so I always fill-up by the time it hits that last little white line)

I've heard that before as well but I've never seen any evidence to back it up. I'm not sure what their worry is whether it's condensation, sediment or something else. The fuel pump pulls from the bottom and I have complete faith in the fuel filter to catch any solids. Personally I make an effort to not fill up until I see the gas light which in my car is right at the bottom of the last thick line (the picture above is a bit exaggerated since I'm holding the phone at an angle).

The mileage on my 91 has averaged 22.21 mpg since new.
The best tankful was 28.9 mpg.
This includes track sessions, city and highway driving
These numbers are based on using 4156 gallons over 22 years.
If your mileage is significantly lower than these numbers something is amiss with your engine

The mileage on my 91 has averaged 22.21 mpg since new.
The best tankful was 28.9 mpg.
This includes track sessions, city and highway driving
These numbers are based on using 4156 gallons over 22 years.
If your mileage is significantly lower than these numbers something is amiss with your engine

Now that's pretty cool.

Weighing in here FWIW with very similar numbers to heySkippy and fellow member of the Commonwealth JD Cross in my /94 with 42,000 miles on the clock. City never below 20 and usually close to 22 and highway anywhere between 27 and 29 miles per US gallon. My driving style is spirited but sane.

Best,
Jeff

Back