• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

I love the NSX but starting to like the cayman

I've had my 91 for about 5 months and in the last two will be up to a little over 3k in part repairs, no labor I do that myself. At a much discount I may add thru some connections. I have high miles, paid very little for the car compared to most, and expected some of these repairs when purchased.

Yet can only imagine how much more it would have cost if I had a Porsche. Once complete ill have my reliable supercar back up and running for much less.

NSX parts are not cheap in my opinion but are also not expensive like other supercars so u have to pick ur battles.

I upgraded from a turbo DC4 Integra... it was a daily driven 11.4 second rocket with a stock block. Makes my NSX seem slow in comparison. Analogy is backwards for me lol.

photo.JPG

these are just from an iphone.

Best color for the s2000. I know b/c it's the same color as mine. :))

S2000 was like a sewing machine on wheels. -0- interior space/storage and cheap plastic.

Handling was fine, but it wore it's welcome out in 3 months of ownership v 16 yrs w/the NSX.

S2000.jpg

In the final analysis, it's NSXSacto's option to buy any darn car he wants and good for you - it's a cool car - no argument.

I know it got a high hp/weight ratio - that's good. It's a high reving 4 cylinder and that you tube Nurburgring video was cool. It's just not an $80k car and budgets do matter - I realize that - it's what got me into the 91 instead of a much later model! So I definitely understand newer vs older and for you it's the right car. Good.

I understand having different cars - I drove the S2000 and couldn't figure out what I'd do with it - it didn't suite me but I know me pretty well too. The NSX isn't for everyone .

No one thinks you are bashing NSXs and we're not here to bash the S2000 - heck it's a Honda too - we all get that! But it's not an NSX and after all this is an NSX site. I'm glad you made the right decision for you and I know you'll most likely enjoy your S2000 - many do. But you are on an NSX site - so why would you want an NSX handle on an NSX site when you have never owned one and don't intend to own one and have just made a decision to own an S2000? I'm just curious.

When I bought the NSX after having Porsches for 8 years - I said goodbye to the Rennlist - not that I don't check in on them from time to time but I don't participate there any longer and won't again till I find myself in a 911 or some other Porsche in the future - if that day ever comes. Actually they said to me that "you'll be back". I may.

We like folks and want to help folks with the NSX and it's own brand of complexities and "woes". In Atlanta we are very fortunate to have a very good independant NSX man! Eiffel. You may not where ever you live - that may be part of your decision. But no one is quizing folks about their Integra issues, or their Porsche issues here and the guys that used to own an NSX have things to contribute to our NSX issues and info and data and fun with the car - what is it that you think you'll find interesting about the NSX site now that you have an S2000? I mean didn't you join up to get info about the NSX to make a decision. We still have comradery for anyone that wants to participate and we all have fondness for our members - you are one of our members but I think you should have S2000 in your handle. That's all - heck I don't even have NSX in my handle - it's my name. So when you put the little picture in next to yours - it will be an S2000 - not your NSX or an NSX - right. That's all I'm saying - don't you want to be known as a person - not a guy that thought he wanted an NSX but now made a decision not to - but to be an S2000 owner instead but still has a handle that says NSX - that is confusing. I'm sorry and I don't mean to hurt anyones feelings so hang out as long as you want, maybe one day you'll want an NSX again and maybe one day you might own one.

Anyway, hope you enjoy this site and the folks here and we're all glad you have a car you like. Now I'll go to another thread where I can talk about NSXs. All the best.

Last edited:
S2000 was like a sewing machine on wheels. -0- interior space/storage and cheap plastic.
Handling was fine, but it wore it's welcome out in 3 months of ownership v 16 yrs w/the NSX.

S2000.jpg

Yellow S2000. Another great color on that car.

Zero interior space, yes, which means it was designed more for driving and less for hauling two golf bags :wink:. My wife and I did, however, manage to get a weeks worth of gear into the S2000 on past trips - packed light of course.

The interior/plastic got better in the later models (2004+) and felt much better. Not quite as nice as the NSX, but certainly not econobox.

My S2000 was a daily driver for a couple of months and yes, the handling is fantastic, but it did wear on me after a few months of daily driving. Now the smooth, comfortable ride of my Lexus or BMW works better for daily driving.

That being said, I drove my S2000 today. Top down, 60 degree weather. It was awesome!

NSXSacto, I hope you drove your S2000 today. My office is in Sac and it's a great day for S2000 driving!.

If you ever want to look at NSXs again, PM me. I'm the local NSXCA Sacramento Chapter President and I'd be happy to introduce you to our local NSXers in the future.

And I'd like to see that '92 GS-R of yours someday if you ever come to one of our NSX meets. I just sold the 1998 GS-R w/ 68k miles I bought new in 1998 and although that car didn't suit my needs anymore, I still have a soft spot for Integra GS-Rs.

Last edited:
"It's just not an $80k car"

What does that matter? With that attitude someone with an Enzo would say to NSX owners, "that is nice, but its not a "million dollar car". Kind of a useless thing to say.

"The NSX isn't for everyone."

This is a general statement, but just in case you are insinuating it may not be for me, because I choose to purchase an S2000 now, doesn't mean it is not "for me" I am sure I am younger than you, and I still would like to own one. Read my previous posts, a 1997-2002 are my NSX of choice. And right now a 1991-1996 NSX is not my choice. I started the thread asking what people thought of the Cayman. I didn't know that just because I purchased an S2000 and informed the members of this thread I would get a response as if it was way off the wall like you made it sound. "I can't believe....."

"No one thinks you are bashing NSXs"

Just added that to give my intention.

"But it's not an NSX"

And the NSX is not a (fill in the blank)*

"after all this is an NSX site."

Thanks, that is kinda why I made the thread, asking NSX owners and or fans of the car their thoughts on the Cayman.

"I'm glad you made the right decision for you and I know you'll most likely enjoy your S2000 - many do."

Why is it so hard for you to believe I would buy one then? Again it is not that different of a car to react as if I as if I bought a Hummer or a smart car?

"But you are on an NSX site"

thank you for the reminder, once again.

"- so why would you want an NSX handle on an NSX site when you have never owned one and don't intend to own one and have just made a decision to own an S2000? I'm just curious."

Well If that is a question without the question mark, I will answer, although to me it is not relevant at all. The name I thought up, I felt suited the site "NSXPRIME", and gave a hint on my geographic location SACTO "Sacramento". Since I like the NSX, and as a "potential buyer" (which the forum includes in its name). Would you have preferred I left it off and made that handle only after ownership? Some people sold their NSX or had theirs stolen or totaled you know. You might want to go police the site thoroughly so people will not get confused. I don't know why my handle matters enough for you to throw into the thread? I don't feel my Handle is any more important than your opinion regarding them. You might want to have stated that sooner, if it is such an issue for you, since my initial post it was clear I did not OWN an NSX.
Should I have changed my handle to S2000 before responding.
To me *that would be more confusing "hey it's me NSXSacto I am now S2000 guy. Guess what I bought an S2000, *don't get confused I am still hoping to own a late model NSX"

"When I bought the NSX after having Porsches for 8 years - I said goodbye to the Rennlist - not that I don't check in on them from time to time but I don't participate there any longer and won't again till I find myself in a 911 or some other Porsche in the future - if that day ever comes. Actually they said to me that "you'll be back". I may."

Well do you realize all I did was inform the readers of the thread I started, my purchasing an S2000. Figured it would be OK? Didn't know I would get the response I did from you. *I cannot participate on this thread? When did you purchase your NSX? Where you a potential buyer member for a while or just show up after you received the keys to one? I don't see a problem with staying on this site learning and discussing the NSX? Weird you seem I should leave because I don't own and NSX when I never did before.

"We like folks"

I can tell. It was clear how nice you were regarding my new car. (read in a very sarcastic tone)

"and want to help folks with the NSX and it's own brand of complexities and "woes".

This is a comparison thread that's all, not asking for much else. *You offered way too many *unnecessary opinions and comments. *But now, I think I will need to make sure you are pleased with every decision I make down to my picture and handle.

In Atlanta we are very fortunate to have a very good independent NSX man! *Eiffel."

Fortunate shouldn't be the case if they are as easy and inexpensive to maintain as many people stated. One of my concerns was that it would be tough to find parts or have it serviced. More importunely aluminum body damage if in a minor accident.

"You may not where ever you live - that may be part of your decision."

We have comptech and mechanics around northern and southern California, that is not the issue. I just purchased a newer, lower mile car that to me is an awesome ride. Enough for people that own the NSX to have them as their "sidekick". I did not go spend $36,000 or more on some other car that was even close in price to an NSX.

"But no one is quizzing folks about their Integra issues, or their Porsche issues here and the guys that used to own an NSX have things to contribute to our NSX issues and info and data and fun with the car - what is it that you think you'll find interesting about the NSX site now that you have an S2000?"

But we ARE having discussions regarding car comparisons. I never owned an NSX and found it and many cars fascinating. Your opinion is I should no longer learn or read I should just leave? " NSX owners only all others do not register unless you have a VIN number and current registration" is this your motto?*

"I mean didn't you join up to get info about the NSX to make a decision."

Nope. That is not my only reason. I just made my first thread regarding these 2 very similar cars and asking under the proper forum opinions regarding the 2. Seem to assume way too much about me.

"We still have comradery for anyone that wants to participate and we all have fondness for our members - you are one of our members but I think you should have S2000 in your handle."

Why not Mini or GSR or Integra. How is this make one for me, so I am sure to please your preferences on handles. How is this "I do not own the car this site is dedicated too" I would make it "I don't own an NSX" but NSX is in there.

"That's all - heck I don't even have NSX in my handle - it's my name."

Your handle should have "I own an NSX it is an $80K Exotic car, all other cars are not an NSX"

"So when you put the little picture in next to yours - it will be an S2000 "

Why not a mini or a motorcycle I may own? Or my Dog?*

"- not your NSX or an NSX - right. That's all I'm saying"

So you tell me the rules to follow, and what I can have as a handle my goal is to meet your requirements? Just curious Are you a plan checker or an Architect that designs?

'- don't you want to be known as a person - not a guy that thought he wanted an NSX but now made a decision not to - but to be an S2000 owner instead but still has a handle that says NSX - that is confusing. "

** Find others handles and police the site, this might put your mind at ease.*

"I'm sorry and I don't mean to hurt anyone's feelings so hang out as long as you want,"

What are you sorry about? Thanks for the invite, means allot to me. No hurt feelings just want to be sure to answer your questions and concerns about my decision making.

" maybe one day you'll want an NSX again and maybe one day you might own one."

I have always WANTED an NSX and never decided not to purchase one. I just purchased an S2000 that's all. You over analyze things, and speak for me as if my window of ever owning an NSX is gone.

"Anyway, hope you enjoy this site and the folks here and we're all glad you have a car you like."

I have 3 cars i like and i like them allot. Seems you are speaking in general for other members. not sure I would agree if they made general comments, like how pleasant members are here, I feel it would contradict your presence on this board.

"Now I'll go to another thread where I can talk about NSXs. All the best."

The thread was to cover the Cayman S and NSX. I purchase a car many people suggest I look at and drive. I find one on a 3 day weekend and decided I liked it so much I would buy buy one, then inform the members following this thread. And you ask questions like.

why would you....
why would you....
You should....
You should....

I don't really think there is much more to offer others with these posts. Hope I answered all of your questions and concerns. I look forward to your ideas on my handle name.
Hope it is ok with you I stick around and ready any issues and experiences they have with their NSXs so it may help me decide on one when I am ready to pull the trigger on an expensive toy.

Last edited:
In short for all the garbage above. I just bought an S2000 STILL LOVE the NSX but am waiting for the ability to buy a 1997-2001 maybe 2002 :biggrin:

I know ALLOT about the NSX, but am not in the market. I enjoyed everyone's thoughts on the Cayman Cayman S S2000 and the kick ass NSX.

It seems the NSX is as bullet proof as the 1992 Integra I own and the S2000 Hopefully I will have all 3 some day!

2nd Generation GSR Integra
S2000
Spa Yellow, GPW, any color NSX It's nice to Dream :biggrin:

In short for all the garbage above. I just bought an S2000 STILL LOVE the NSX but am waiting for the ability to buy a 1997-2001 maybe 2002 :biggrin:

I know ALLOT about the NSX, but am not in the market. I enjoyed everyone's thoughts on the Cayman Cayman S S2000 and the kick ass NSX.

It seems the NSX is as bullet proof as the 1992 Integra I own and the S2000 Hopefully I will have all 3 some day!

2nd Generation GSR Integra
S2000
Spa Yellow, GPW, any color It's nice to Dream :biggrin:

Hey.

It's okay. Everywhere you go there's always somebody that thinks he's the spokesperson of the place.

Please disregard him and continue (not that you didn't intend to) to contribute to this site. NSX enthusiasts are always welcome here (or should be, anyway.)

First of all let me say this - I am not the spokesperson for Prime or any other site - it's just my little silly opinion. This opinion and stuff I've written to you NSXSacto has obviosly been a lot of stuff I should have just kept to myself. Sorry to impose this upon you and the others - it's very, very misguided.

It is obvious that you are an NSX enthusiast and really love the cars - just like many do that don't have them on this site. Some here have been participating so long that everyone thought they owned one - when they never have and then when they do finally get one everyone is saying - I thought you had one - great - good for you, etc., etc. Silly point - to me handles speak of what a person has or is - it's just my interpretation. You shouldn't get so excited and I shouldn't go on about something that really only seems to bother me. It obviously doesn't bother anyone else. So I apologize for making you crazy or uncomfortable and I really do hope you enjoy your S2000 - they're neat cars.

BTW - my comment about an 80k car - I really didn't finish my thought and it really doesn't matter. My point was to be this: an 80k car that depreciates down to whatever over time depending on year and model - is different than a 35k car that depreciates - the 80k car has many things that the other one doesn't at the same price - that's all. It's like buying a 35k Porsche that started out as an 80k car - it's different than any other car at 35k - no big earth shaking news to anyone - but it does make it hard to compare the two cars even though they cost the same. That's all I meant by that and surely the difference between and NSX and a Lambo or Enzo - is absolutely huge and so better be your ability to maintain them.

I won't bore any of you any more with this bs. I shouldn't have bugged you NSXSacto - you keep your handle - it really won't matter if someone may be temporarily confused by the title/handle. I'm surely no policeman of this site - I will go back to sleep now. Enjoy your car and this site - really - no sarcasim intended. All the best from one sports car enthusiast to another! How's that - whew and you guys thought I wrote long emails. Geez - I think NSXSacto is a man I can truly appreciate...lol - you'll see what I mean if you keep reading - I'm known for my epistles on here. :wink:

Adios Amigos

Regarding the $80K NSX price tag, the 1991 NSX which you own, had an MSRP of $62,000. It was actually almost 1/4 less than $80,000 (22.5% less to be exact) It did increase over the 15 or so years of production.

This was another thing that made it an attractive car to own, it was not a crazy amount of money for what the car had to offer the consumer.

Last edited:
but do you know how much a clutch, tb/wp is for an S2000? I mean how much cheaper can it be.

The S2000 does not have a timing belt. :rolleyes:

Like a gaggle of geese honking away.

I have a Black/Red S2000. I love it.

Last edited:
I thought this was in reference to the nsx >>> cayman. Well aside from the
s2000 fellas

I have extensive amount of time in the Cayman S and actually I find the whole cars driveability quite nice. I am not too fond of that hemeroid rear end. Currently having the Tech art kit installed and the GT3 throttle body by F Braumer being done. Throttle response is a lot more active than the NSX. Interior the car feels like an updated BUG. Outside noise at idle it sounds like 20 fans blowing. Kind of annoying but atleast all the outter vents are used. I will get back with all mods done. Stock for stock the nsx 02+ and the cayman are on par as to performance feel without the go getter magazine/brochure SME's. Pre 02 nsx's will get pulled on slightly.

Fuel consumation the car sucks but who cares.

Driver view, the car isn't fighter jet fancy. I had to get use to the buick styled upright dash. Other than that I like it.

=)
=g=

s2000 fellas

The S2000 came into the thread when the OP decided to buy a S2000 which he brought up in post # 34. Gotta be quick, things are movin' fast.:biggrin:

Regarding the $80K NSX price tag, the 1991 NSX which you own, had an MSRP of $62,000. It was actually almost 1/4 less than $80,000 (22.5% less to be exact) It did increase over the 15 or so years of production.

This was another thing that made it an attractive car to own, it was not a crazy amount of money for what the car had to offer the consumer.

You're forgetting this little thing called inflation. The original owner of my car paid the equivalent of $116k in today's dollars for it.

"What cost $62000 in 1991 would cost $96436.76 in 2009."

Newer Porsches are very reliable. I owned my NSX for 6 years and have had a Porsche for several years now, and would say they are comparable as far as reliability goes.

If there is a problem, the Porsche parts may cost more, but the labour is now comparable between dealerships. There are many good indy shops for P-cars now as well.

Don't decide based on numbers, or performance stats. Go drive both and see which car makes you drool more. Buy that one.

PS. I owned a GSR for 5 years. Awesome little car, I used to think I'd be disappointed getting out of the NSX into the Integra. I never was. It's not an NSX, but it is a fantastic DD.

Last edited:
s2000 fellas

I have extensive amount of time in the Cayman S and actually I find the whole cars driveability quite nice. I am not too fond of that hemeroid rear end. Currently having the Tech art kit installed and the GT3 throttle body by F Braumer being done. Throttle response is a lot more active than the NSX. Interior the car feels like an updated BUG. Outside noise at idle it sounds like 20 fans blowing. Kind of annoying but atleast all the outter vents are used. I will get back with all mods done. Stock for stock the nsx 02+ and the cayman are on par as to performance feel without the go getter magazine/brochure SME's. Pre 02 nsx's will get pulled on slightly.

Fuel consumation the car sucks but who cares.

Driver view, the car isn't fighter jet fancy. I had to get use to the buick styled upright dash. Other than that I like it.

=)
=g=

Which part of the Cayman interior reminds you of the VW Bug's?
Steve

I did not forget inflation I wanted to post the fact it did not retail for $80,000 in 1991. And a used car with depreciation as little as it may be does not make a 1991 an $80,000 car.

I did not forget inflation I wanted to post the fact it did not retail for $80,000 in 1991. And a used car with depreciation as little as it may be does not make a 1991 an $80,000 car.

Add LED, HID, big rims, lowered, side skirts and when you're hang'in it's a 90k exotic car. "Man it's like a Lambo or Ferrari". I have arrived!:biggrin::biggrin:
6a00ccff8b449e673100e398c5ff5c0004-200pi
(It was how much? Who IS he?:biggrin:)

Back