• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

I may sell my NSX and get a jaguar XK-R

Couldn't you do a pre-owned C class AMG car since the other cars you are looking at are also pre-owned?

I also like the Audi S5 although I haven't looked at them too closely. It does have beautiful lines.

Funny, I sent the link to the Audi to my wife and daughter and they asked me why I want a Honda accord? I will consider a used C coupe, although I really like the exterior styling of the Jaguar better. I also told the dealership to see about a used SL55 as well. The trade the offered was a little less than the place in Atlanta so I have adjusted my asking rice down accordingly to $20,500 on my car. At least I now have a dealer in Savannah that will trade my car if I can't sell it quickly, now they just have to find me a car I like that they can out me in, hopefully by next week.

Funny, I sent the link to the Audi to my wife and daughter and they asked me why I want a Honda accord? I will consider a used C coupe, although I really like the exterior styling of the Jaguar better. I also told the dealership to see about a used SL55 as well. The trade the offered was a little less than the place in Atlanta so I have adjusted my asking rice down accordingly to $20,500 on my car. At least I now have a dealer in Savannah that will trade my car if I can't sell it quickly, now they just have to find me a car I like that they can out me in, hopefully by next week.

I think they would change their mind the second the saw it in person. It is a stunning car, and designed by the same guy who did the jags if I am not mistaking.

I have test driven the car several times. I think you would love it.

If you get to the point that a Mercedes is in your future, please feel free to ask any questions you might have. I don't pretend to know everything but I have had 3 in my life and I do enjoy them ('97 E320, '01 CLK430 and '06 SL55).

Best wishes in your searches.

I would like to hear about the 06 SL55 as I am potentially interested on maybe an 08 SL55 if they find one. I do think I like the jaguar better but then I haven't driven a SL yet.

I love the SL as it is a rocket of a car. It has a ton of power and it is a great car to just drive around in. The wife and I take it whenever we want to somewhere in reletive comfort and in style. It is a real sleeper because when others look at it they only see a SL and think it has the smaller v8 engine. It isn't the car to have if you want everyone to know it is a 500hp toy. Owners sometimes take off the badges to keep others guessing what model it is.
At times I feel like a respected older gentleman when I am behind the wheel (typically the kind of person who would drive a SL500) but then I put my foot into it and then......... whoosh:biggrin:

The cars have gotten better as time has gone by.
My '06 is a 030 car (less than 10% of all SL55 cars produced that year came with this package) and it is a keeper. It will be a long time before I get rid of this one.
If you think you might purchase one (or any other AMG Mercedes) go to one of the forums on the web and lurk awhile to see the differences between years and what owners think of them. You can also pm me and I will give you my phone number and we can talk about the cars in detail.

With all due respect to your ladies, I can't tell you how many times females have said "is that a corvette" when I had my NSX or asked if my Porsche 928 S4 was a RX-7. :). I wouldn't use that as my final decision. Ha ha.

Audi make beautiful cars including the S5, but I drove them and they are nearly 911 range for backseat. Almost nonexistent.

With all due respect to your ladies, I can't tell you how many times females have said "is that a corvette" when I had my NSX or asked if my Porsche 928 S4 was a RX-7. :). I wouldn't use that as my final decision. Ha ha.

Audi make beautiful cars including the S5, but I drove them and they are nearly 911 range for backseat. Almost nonexistent.

I don't think the back seat is that small, but it is certainly larger than the back seat in the nsx:biggrin:

Ya'll kill me. The Audi looked nice to me but talk about a blow for them to say it looked like an accord. Gene I may be interested in the SL after what you said. I hope I can test drive one first like I did the Jag. But that sounds great. I am thinking that maybe I get the jag or the SL keep it 4-5 years and by then the new NSX will a few years old and I can get used new generation NSX :). Always have to think ahead! Gene if I get a chance to look at a SL I may give you a call for more feedback, thanks for the offer.

I don't think you can go too wrong with an sl55 or sl63. I would lean towards the 63. I wonder about the reliability of the Benz. Hudson has had issues with his cls63.

I think they would change their mind the second the saw it in person. It is a stunning car, and designed by the same guy who did the jags if I am not mistaking.

I have test driven the car several times. I think you would love it.

The new Jag XK was designed by Ian Callum, the same guy that did the Aston Martin Vanquish.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Callum

The Audi A5 design is credited to Walter de'Silva who works for the VW Group
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_de'Silva

A cool article on the 25 most influential car designers today
http://www.automobilemag.com/features/news/1012_25_most_influential_car_designers/viewall.html

You might want to look at the SL550 also. Much less money and they have a lot of hp. Over 400 I think. Much faster than the old SL500

No matter which MB you chose, I would highly recommend getting a car that is either Starmarked and/or has an extended warrantee as these cars have a lot of electronics and replacement parts are anything but cheap.
Their build quality is solid though......

Ya'll kill me. The Audi looked nice to me but talk about a blow for them to say it looked like an accord. Gene I may be interested in the SL after what you said. I hope I can test drive one first like I did the Jag. But that sounds great. I am thinking that maybe I get the jag or the SL keep it 4-5 years and by then the new NSX will a few years old and I can get used new generation NSX :). Always have to think ahead! Gene if I get a chance to look at a SL I may give you a call for more feedback, thanks for the offer.

I test drove the SL55 then took it back to the dealership and immediately wrote them a check because there was no way to get the stupid smile off my face. I kept the car for a couple of years and drove it daily. I LOVED that car in fact I am considering buying another one this summer.

I remember the test drive well. I was trapped in traffic. I could feel the car was powerful but I couldn't mash the accelerator because of traffic. I said to my wife that I felt as if I was on a roller coaster headed up the track, click, click, click through traffic knowing that a wild ride was coming on the way down the track, getting on the highway. The first time I mashed that throttle I was hooked like a drug addict. I have bought a few AMG cars since because they are so f$&@ing good. They are like really good handling muscle cars IMO. They depreciate really hard but people keep buying them because they put a perma-smile on their face.

GET ONE WITH A WARRANTY!
I blew out the rear struts on mine, dealer told me it was an 8 thousand dollar repair and not to allow the car to lose contact with the earth again.:wink::smile: yes it is that fast!

I just made a deal. I am getting a 2008 jaguar XKR Platinum portfolio with 32,000 miles on it. I will post pictures when I get a chance. Thanks for all the advice but the jag had my heart.

I got it for $47k, that was with the warranty and the car is a Platinum portfolio car which are more rare. This car is a pleasure to drive but in a different way than the NSX.

Congrats on your purchase.
Although you were open to other cars it is good to know you were able to find what you were really looking for and able to purchase it. I am happy that you were able to find your first choice model and it is everything you wanted.

I loved mine although I was happy to see it go.
I too was happy to replace it with the car of my dreams.......
Enjoy yours to the fullest.

Best wishes,
Gene Greer

Thanks Gene, I was definitely open and drove the BMW and Mercedes as well as some other cars but I kept going back to the Jag. 5 hour drive home but it was a fun 5 hour drive home. Would have been quicker if it hadn't been pouring on me the whole way.

I hope you stay on the board and keep in active.
I am sure we all would love to see pictures of you new baby :smile:

I bet even in the rain it was a fun 5 hour trip home.
Did you pick it up alone or was your wife with you? What does she think of your new toy?

Back