• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

I need some help.

Hi, I am new to this forum and I wanted to get the opinions of some people who actually own and drive nsx's. Right now I am looking to purchase a new car and I am torn between the new Nissan Z, a used NSX, and a 2001 Corvette Z06. I am 20 and everyone keeps telling me that a NSX is impractical for me and that the maintenence on it will kill me. I would really like some info on what you think I should do. Also is $50,000 a good deal for a 96 with 13,000 miles on it? Thanks.

This is going to come down to personal preference. Being a Nsx ower I like the idea of a low mileage Nsx. But I do respect the Z06's power, it is a potent machine. If you go with the vette and your price range is around $50k make sure you are getting a 02 Z06, +20 hp!

I appreciate your response and I knew coming to this forum the responses that I would get would be pretty biased. But do you think that the NSX would be impractical for me as a second car my primary car being a 97 Cavalier.

I think it would be as practical, if not more so than the 'vette. I do not know enough about the new Z to speculate. The biggest problem I forsee for you at your age is not being able to have more than one friend with you at a time. When I was twenty, being able to pile 3-5 friends into the car was crucial. If I had a great sports car, and a cavalier, I would only want to drive the sports car, not the cavalier.

If the '96 has good records, then I would jump all over it. Make sure you can get feasible financing for an older car. Some on this board have used Peoplefirst.com, or you can check with a credit union if you are a member. Most banks get really wigged about cars over 4 years old.

The Z06 is a great car, but will not be as comfortable to drive on a daily basis as the NSX. It is faster, but gets much worse gas mileage (I regularly get 18-20 in town and 27-30 on the road, only 8-10 at the track) in my '95. Good luck in your decision.

------------------
Gary Yates
1995 Red/Tan

Sometimes it comes down to which car suits your character as a person, and isn't so much a matter of which car has better numbers. That, which we hold on to in life, is what defines us.

The Z06 and the NSX are both great cars and it appears that the 350Z will be, too. However, these cars are very different from each other. For example, you're looking at one open-top car (the NSX-T) and two coupes. Why? If you don't care about the open top, then consider the '91-94 NSX coupe and save some money.

These cars are very different from each other. What are you looking for?

Acceleration: Z06
Handling: NSX (350Z handling not known yet)
Reliability: NSX or 350Z
Exclusivity (won't see them everywhere): NSX
Purchase Price: 350Z
"Wow" Factor: NSX or 350Z for the first year, NSX after that

You shouldn't have any concerns over the cost of maintaining the NSX. The schedule and cost of routine maintenance is similar to most other cars, as you can see here and here. However, you have to be prepared that every once every several years, you may need a repair that's expensive, like a clutch replacement ($2K) or an A/C repair. I think you will find that maintenance on an NSX is no more than on a Corvette or a 350Z once those cars are no longer under warranty.

Have you checked with your insurance agent yet to find out how much insurance will cost if you buy each of these cars? He/she won't have figures on the 350Z yet, but should be able to tell you now how much it would be. Good info to know before you decide to go ahead with your purchase.

You might also consider that the newer cars come with factory/seller warranties, which CAN tilt the near-term ongoing cost-of-ownership equation towards them.

That being said, an early NSX that has reasonable mileage, working A/C, t-belt changed, snap-ring free (91-92), and an OK clutch will serve you quite well.

################

As far as ownership and "space - the final frontier" go:
- I've yet to own a car with more than 2 doors
- one NSX nut I know has only owned red, 2-door, 2-seat, mid-engined cars (Toyota MR2, NSX, F355 and S2000 -- I think he still has em all) and he's doing fine

I appreciate all the responses and yes I have checked with the insurance company and it won't be cheap but I don't want to drive around in a common car so to me the extra money is worth it. As far as what I'm looking for in a car is this, everytime I go to drive it I want to feel the same way as when I first bought it and I think I'll get this feeling more with the NSX than any other car. I have a question for those of you that have NSX's have you regretted buying it or have you gotten bored with it?

My only regret was not buying Eddie Lee's 91 with a six speed and making it into a dedicated track rat, so I could enjoy my '95 without having two sets of wheels, removing the seat cushion, etc.

I have never regretted buying the '95, even every month when that monster car payment comes due. It only takes 5 minutes in the drivers seat to overcome that, and that happens on the way to the post office.
biggrin.gif

------------------
Gary Yates
1995 Red/Tan

Originally posted by ncdogdoc:
My only regret was not buying Eddie Lee's 91 with a six speed and making it into a dedicated track rat
I regret missing out on 3 (of the 6 sold in the US) 91 silver/ivory 5-speeds (an additional 3 slushboxes were also sold):
- one to our friend Miled Salheb in da Bronx
- one to James West in TX (formerly Mike Wilhoit's)
- one sold to Dan from Stratford CT in Sep-2001 (from Bay Area Motorsports in Walden MA)
- I found a fourth, but it had high miles
- no idea where #5 and #6 are

Hi,

Just thought I'd chip into this conversation to give a Brit perspective on the NSX.

I haven't had my '91 NSX for long, but I've been thinking about buying a Merc 500SL, or a Jaguar XK8 or XKR, or a Porsche 996 (New 911)

Anyway, after driving a '99 Porsche 996 today I was disappointed with it. The NSX goes harder, sounds harder (especially with the Remus after-market exhaust she's got on),
and looks so much lower and DIFFERENT. I believe the NSXs are much more common in the US than they are on this side of the pond, but here everyone stares when you go by...

Perhaps I'll get a 996 when I'm 50 and boring..The same goes for the XK8 (haven't tried an XKR yet!)

Has anyone tried an Merc SL500 ?? (Old shape, ie the one just gone out..)

Looks Mr Honda's got me hooked !!!

I haven't driven

Originally posted by undecided:
NSX1164. I was just looking at a red 1991 NSX in West Chester, PA. It only had 12,000 miles on it and it was beautiful but it was $44,000. I thought that was a bit much for a 1991.
I think that's a bit high... upper 30s for a decent-condition car sounds about right.

For a car with that low mileage check for:
- time-based service items (rubber parts, seals, hoses, belts)
- that the AC system works OK -- these have been known to fail after excessively-long periods of non-use
- (minor item) the air pump is probably shot, if its never been used

As its a 91, you'll need to check on snap ring failure as well.

#############

For reference, I paid about $40K in 1998 for a mint 1993 silver/black (5 year old) with 8K miles.

[This message has been edited by nsx1164 (edited 26 January 2002).]

OK.
20 years old, $50k to spend.
If you're looking for long glances from
chicks althought more guys seem intrigued
by the NSX, select the least visible car around-- the NSX. If you want blood and guts acceleration, which comes in handy on occasion, go with the Vette. However, as an owner of a '91 NSX and third generation RX7, for less expensive fun and neck snapping acceleration and crisp handling, the RX7, particularly a wel-cared for R1 or 2 would surely satisfy your needs and urges. If any are around, go for the R2-- softer ride. The NSX is like a DR. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde sports car (and it was intended to be that way). Once your down in its spartan, but comfortable cabin, overlooking little more than windshield, two small humps for wheel wells, its all road all the time. This is the view from a GT race car without a doubt.
Back to Dr. J and Mr. H. The car peforms like an everyday driver around town. It growls but politely at 25-40 mph. But take it on the hiway and the beast emerges. The faster you go the more planted to the road you become. So, what you have is an wolf in HONDA clothing. I'd definitely take the flexibility of the NSX over the single-minded-personality of the Vette.

------------------

I tried looking for a RX7, Supra, 3000GT, and a 300ZX, but I couldn't really find any with low miles on them for a decent price. If they have low miles the price is just too high, I might as well go for the NSX that I know has been well taken care of. But I agree with you I am still looking for a decent RX7, but I am worried about the reliability issues with the rotary engine. It seems like it won't last past 100,000 miles. But maybe I'm wrong, let me know if I am.

Back