• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

I took my '94 to Autowave for a Dyno...

1994 3.0L with 94,500 miles

• OEM airbox, OEM resonator, Comptech Unifilter
  • Supersprint Headers
  • Taitec Test Pipes
  • Zee's Exhaust

272.1rwhp

dyno.jpg

1016_181337.jpg

1018_110914.jpg

Last edited:
Wow... those are some really good numbers! Do you know how much hp the test pipes gave you? Also, does it make the exhaust smell really "stinky?"

scorp965 said:
It was $75/3 runs

I don't have before/after runs for the test pipes, although my understanding is they give you zero performance gain, only an increase in sound.

how do you pass the bi-annaul smog check with the test pipes?

Scorp, not to sound negative at all, those are great numbers. But doesn't it seem that everyone going to autowave is getting rather high readings? Your car, Vance's car, a couple of others I saw.... all beyond what is expected, all on the same dyno. Do you wonder at all about its accuracy? are these SAE corrected numbers?

Maybe all of you have really strong cars... I don't know... just really suprised at these numbers.

TURBO2GO said:
Scorp, not to sound negative at all, those are great numbers. But doesn't it seem that everyone going to autowave is getting rather high readings? Your car, Vance's car, a couple of others I saw.... all beyond what is expected, all on the same dyno. Do you wonder at all about its accuracy? are these SAE corrected numbers?

Maybe all of you have really strong cars... I don't know... just really suprised at these numbers.

Dave,

Autowave dyno's a large number of nsx's, possibly a greater number than any other dyno, and they seem confident of their numbers - I am not sure if they're SAE or not, but a search on prime leads to some claims of their numbers being considered 'low'; it's inline with what I thought was a highly optimistic dyno from the previous owner, in Ohio, with SAE correction, which turned out a number of 278rwhp.

Regards,

John

Congratulations John,

Those are really great#s, I think that is the highest NA1 NSX # from Autowave up to this date. When can we take some clips of the Zees exhaust with test pipe?

Bone stock NA1 NSXes usually dyno as low as 220rwhp~245rwhp at Autowave. The weather yesterday is relatively cool and dry. I think your #s are dead on with the mods you have. The ultra lightweight SSR Type C wheels doesn't hurt either.

Assuming 12% drivetrain loss. Bone stock NA1 NSX should dyno 237rwhp with no mods. Gaining 35rwhp through header/intake/exhaust/test pipe sounds about right.

Last edited:
TURBO2GO said:

The night before USCC (8/1), we did two final preparation runs at Autowave with and without cats and got 650/637 rwhp. The next day at K&N for the USCC, we got 677 without cats and 650 rwhp with cats on their Dynojet and it was already hotter. No changes were made between these runs.
At least in this case, the Autowave dyno read less.

Regards,

Danny

Great numbers! I think the 3.0L dyno numbers with aftermarket exhaust, intake, and headers are comparable to a 3.2L with exhaust and intake. The key figure in the horsepower jump appears to be the restrictive headers being replaced.

Not to threadjack: but given the numbers the Autowave Dyno has produced, I would consider Splitz' numbers somewhat of an anomoly. Hopefully some of the tech heads here can help him out. What bothers me the most is not the low initial reading, but the change after the header and exhaust install. It just doesnt' seem in line with 1) what cantrell concepts dyno'd and 2) in general what a NA1 gains after a header and exhaust change.

I would think perhaps the ECU needs a short time to "relearn" the new equipment, but it should happen very quickly. The only other thing I can think of is perhaps maybe a dirty air filter, old spark plugs (coil pack on the way out?) or maybe a clogged fuel filter, throttle cable not adjusted so WOT really isn't 100% WOT....or a combination of those factors? Just trying to eliminate the basics first.. Beyond that, I don't know: poor compression, in need a valve lash adjustment?

Now back on topic: sick dyno!

--
George

Last edited:
Some additional input:
  • Spark Plugs replaced with NGK Iridium 2 weeks ago
  • Air Filter replaced with unifilter 3 days ago
  • Oil changed with amsoil 10W30 at 91500
  • Clock Fuse pulled after unifilter Installation

I was pleased to just be in the same general area as the P/O's dyno graph... I did not dyno the Daewoo :)

Ski_Banker said:
You need to dyno the Daewoo. Seriously. Dyno the fucking Daewoo!!

:biggrin:

I don't want to break autowave's dyno with the my GM-designed 4-cylinder Leganza... it would be fun to show up at a dyno day with it though :tongue:

Perhaps I should wait until the next H-T dyno day... they have awards for highest, and lowest, power - the Leganza could be a trophey winner.

I second that, dyno the Deawoo! That will be the best demonstration of how optimistic the dyno is. But seriously those are fantastic numbers! BTW did you remove your HREs just for the dyno run?

ashman said:
I second that, dyno the Deawoo! That will be the best demonstration of how optimistic the dyno is. But seriously those are fantastic numbers! BTW did you remove your HREs just for the dyno run?

The SSR's are the 'current' wheels, although I have 2 other sets of rims in my garage... The SSR's have grown on me, I like cars that have a 'business-like' appearance, and the comp's look very aggressive - I bought them as 'track' wheels, but haven't taken them off.

scorp965 said:
1994 3.0L with 94,500 miles

• OEM airbox, OEM resonator, Comptech Unifilter
  • Supersprint Headers
  • Taitec Test Pipes
  • Zee's Exhaust
[/img]

Didn't know that Supersprint did a header for the NSX. I think it is no more produced.

When I installed the same mods as yours (+ downforce intake scoop), there has been a big gain in butt-hp. And after ~2000 miles, the power curve changed again with a lot more power between 5000 and 6000 rpm. It's important not to dyno a car just after the modifications.

Back