• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

I will be putting a 93 NSX for sale soon and would like the community's opinion

I purchased a Silver 93 NSX with some oil leaks and an unknown service history, I dropped the motor out and have replaced the timing belt, water pump, tension-er, various seals, gaskets, hoses and did a valve adjustment.
Now is where I would like you opinions, to replace the clutch or not??? Would the increased value of the car be equal to or greater than the cost of the clutch?? I do not want to shoot myself in the foot and I would like to make this a car that will be 100% serviced and ready to go for years with out any major scheduled maintenance due for the new owner.
The stock clutch is well with-in specs but the car has 94k miles on it and it is already out and easy to change.

What would you do? Or if you were shopping for an NSX would a brand new clutch be valuable to you?

I would just replace the clutch if you plan on doing an OEM one. Others may want a more specific type of clutch for their uses, but I find you will get a better pool of buyers going stock.

Also, please PM me pics/pricing details as I'm now in the market.

I would just replace the clutch if you plan on doing an OEM one. Others may want a more specific type of clutch for their uses, but I find you will get a better pool of buyers going stock.

Also, please PM me pics/pricing details as I'm now in the market.

I will be happy to, I am on my way out the door now so I will get that to you tomorrow.

Is it the original clutch? If so I would change it.
It is the original clutch and it has 90% thickness over the service limit, but if it were me buying it I would like to have some more clamping force with a nice pedal.

Last edited:
I too am in the market LOL. but if the engine is out already I would do it. then you can say with out a doubt that the car is 100% serviced IF....... all hoses have been replaced. all 21 Of them

then its 100% done. will def add value to the car. that means someone can get in the car and drive the car from FL to Alaska if they want.

prices normally reflect if service has been done or not. so poor NSX's people sell them when the service come up so they dont have to pay for it.

I'm never going to win in an NSX shopping battle against Shawn. Agreed though, as a prospective owner, I'd just want to buy the thing and drive it. Any hassles you save makes your NSX more desirable, at least to me.

I too am in the market LOL. but if the engine is out already I would do it. then you can say with out a doubt that the car is 100% serviced IF....... all hoses have been replaced. all 21 Of them

then its 100% done. will def add value to the car. that means someone can get in the car and drive the car from FL to Alaska if they want.

prices normally reflect if service has been done or not. so poor NSX's people sell them when the service come up so they dont have to pay for it.

JadeFox I would never step over someone to buy an NSX thats bad Karma. and I dont need another NSX right now next month I will though.

JadeFox even if Shawn bought it, I bet he would sell it to you for a profit :biggrin:

But to your question, if I were purchasing any car with 94k miles on it, it would be very nice to know the clutch had been replaced.

The clutch in mine was replaced at 37,750 miles when I purchased mine with 38,500 miles on it. It seems crazy to me that there are cars like yours with that many miles on them with still plenty of clutch remaining and others like mine where the clutch needed to be replaced so soon. It has to be the way people drive them.

My DD (not an NSX) has 109k on it. I asked my mechanic about replacing the clutch when I had the tb/wp done lately and he said he wouldn't worry about it since it is still fine.

It's a tough call on whether it will increase the value of the car to cover the cost of the clutch or not, but it would definitely be a selling point and give the future owner piece of mind.

I'm curious what the new NSX price will do to our current values if it does come out at the Motor Trend projected target price of $140k? But I know somebody who has contacts and he was told their (Acura/Honda's) goal was to try and keep the cost as close to $100k as possible.

My .02. If I were looking for an NSX I would most definitely lean towards the one that needs nearly nothing. I would even consider splitting the cost of clutch replacement to save myself downtime and trying to find a reputable tech. But, I would prefer an OEM clutch. Since the miles are there, I'd opt for the rear main seal also for buyers peace of mind.

My .02. If I were looking for an NSX I would most definitely lean towards the one that needs nearly nothing. I would even consider splitting the cost of clutch replacement to save myself downtime and trying to find a reputable tech. But, I would prefer an OEM clutch. Since the miles are there, I'd opt for the rear main seal also for buyers peace of mind.

The rear main seal was just delivered to me this morning, along with the VTEC solenoid gaskets.

I had put up a picture earlier in the thread that is no longer there, was that against an NSX-P rule???

Can't go wrong with OEM clutch.

Sunny Isle is a nice place btw, was just there last week visiting my sister.

Back