• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Idea for summer ride.

Maybe extend this to the SC guys

Once you have a firm date and resting location, Post the info here. I could have three guys from Charleston and the Columbia area meet up since it is so close to us.

Hugh said:
I have to pull out my maps from the last ride up to The Dragon but on the Busa, I left Boca at 6 AM and got into Robbinsville at around 7 PM.

I know I took the Turnpike all the way to the end then I-75 to Macon, GA. From that point I have to look at my maps for the route I took.
Should we ask how fast you were going or would that be incriminating evidence? ;)

I was looking at the map and noticed that you can take 129 out of Macon, it runs parallel to 75 until it gets north of Atlanta and then curves to the west until it's basically due north of Atlanta. Atlanta traffic isn't usually bad on weekends in my experience (though Macon sometimes is, oddly), so I would expect it would be quicker to stay on the Interstate to Atlanta. On the other hand, it could be more a more interesting drive to get off the interstate sooner.

I have been up there a few times before, but mostly I just passed through during the day, while staying somewhere else. Last time I went was the first time I had actually stayed nearby. Room rates at the Microtel Inn started at $50-55 for a single bed room. The room was small but nice, and the place was car/bike friendly and sold tailofthedragon.com merchendise. I have heard good things about the Tapoco Lodge as well, though I haven't stayed there.

BTW, I did read The Pace...great article. It's very fitting for a road like this, which is all about the corners, and not how fast you can go for a few seconds until you reach the next one. Even in the NSX, if you drive the 30/40mph speed limits (depending on which side of the state line you are on), there are still some corners on the Dragon you will have to slow down for. ;)

Not keeping the Pace

DocL said:
Just a reminder. Has everyone looked at "Keeping the Pace" yet. We don't want any damaged metal on this trip.

Middle of the page where he didn't keep the PACE We rode with the guys up from Charleston on the bikes, I was in the car. There were about 20 S2k just up there to have some fun. One went into the Bowl to fast.

Sketch said:
Should we ask how fast you were going or would that be incriminating evidence? ;)

speedo.jpg

I don't think that there will be any exclusion ecxcept that I think we might make this open to all NSXCA members. I'm going to contact someone at the NSXCA to discuss this further. I'd like to be able raise some funds for club to help with future events in the S. Florida.

There seems to be some confusion regarding the route.
My original idea was to Auto-Train it up and do Skyline/Blue Ridge.
That is not going to happen. The group from South Florida is going to drive up to the Deal's Gap (Dragon)/Cherohala Skyway area which is near the Southern terminus of the Blue Ridge Parkway. We'll probably take a day and drive the Blue Ridge up to Asheville, NC but I don't see us going further north than that.

P.S. I called the Tapoco Lodge and got a recording saying they were closed for winter but I left a detailed message and I'm waiting for a call back.

Last edited:
Keep us MD/VA/DC/NC NSXers posted on this. Firm up the details and I will send out an email to my mid-Atlantic list (50+ NSX's) and we'll see who can join up with you. We had a great run here Nov. 30, starting from the Skyline Drive (connects to Northern terminus of the Blue Ridge Parkway) as well as some other twisties and hi-speed roads. 400 miles in one day! (It's posted on the SE forum.

Wll I'm ready to go and do this!

If you all are going to be up there for any weekend days, I would love to meet everyone (and add another white NSX). If not, please post some good pics!

Mark

Back