• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

if you have children...

short version:
if you're not doing it now (or enough), i heartily suggest you keep a still and video camera nearby and use them to capture their/your family life to share with others and look back on when they're older.

longer (ok, really long) version:
awhile back i mentioned in this forum that i was seeking advice for products / solutions for converting our family (analog) videos to dvd. my specific goal was to take video of our oldest son (who was turning 30) and create a "this is your life" dvd for him. after receiving some good feedback from prime members and friends of mine in the video production business, i picked up a mac g5, a vdc analog/digital converte, then began working on the the project.

after a couple of weeks of part time efforts, here are my results:

* started with ~10 hrs of raw, family video
* final cut of ~ 2 hrs of son-specific, 4 chapter video:
- "outdoor" - sports - scuba, baseball, track, swimming, flying, ski/snow boarding)
- "school/music" - childhood plays, school concerts (including sax solo's :), middle & high school graduations
- "holidays/special events" - christmas, channukah, easter, b'days, family parties, etc
- "interviews" - i traveled the state to individually interview his childhood friends and our relatives on film. they each: talked about what they remembered about him as a child, offered a "what i wish i knew earlier" thought and then each sang "happy b'day" to him. the last interview and "happy b'day" song was his daughter, finishing with saying "happy 30th b'day, daddy, i love you!"

while i was at it, i created an cd of ~1,600 childhood/lifetime photos that i scanned, cropped, then imported into the same categories.

all in all, i'd summarize this as:

cost to buy g5 = $2,000
cost to buy converter = $300
miles driven = 1,500
time invested = >100 hrs

value in reliving our son's life again (if only for a bit), watching his daughter sing happy b'day and say, "happy 30th daddy, i love you"... and there not being a dry eye in the house = priceless.

my point? life is short, love your children and capture your memories while they're happening - you can't ever really go back.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61708

Nice post....I don't have kids but i can still imagine.

What part of silicon valley you in? I'll be in Saratoga next week visiting family. I'd like to see your car.

SilverStone05 said:

What part of silicon valley you in? I'll be in Saratoga next week visiting family. I'd like to see your car.
i'm in campbell... pm if/when you wanna swing by and let's catch up.

hal

SilverStone05 said:

I'm in that general area too, as are some other members. I think someone proposed a mini-meet on the weekend.

What an awesome gift. When I do have kids, I'll plan to have plenty of still photos and even more video footage for such a thing. Thanks for sharing such an awesome idea hal!

Back