• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

iLift kit experience

I’m thinking of getting the iLift kit from Science of Speed. It seems like a worthwhile product to keep the front end from getting scraped up. Does anyone have experience with this product they can share? Build quality, impact on handling, etc.

pm the hawk

I just got the iLift done at SoS and I love it. I opted for the front/rear combo with a 12mm drop and manual (not automatic). It should have come from the factory this way, in my opinion. It does not affect the handling at all as far as I can tell. Ride comfort seems to be pretty much unchanged as well. Still comfy in Sport mode.

With the stock height down to 12mm you can get it to factory alignment specs, at 24mm you are slightly out with all of the alignment shims removed. The product itself is top-notch and the components look like they should be in a car of this caliber. A person looking under the hood wouldn't even know they weren't OEM unless someone told them! The system is built to last, and had a ton of thought put into its development. It's definitely not a hack job that I've seen thrown together on some 1st gen cars. This is a professionally engineered system and it shows.

It's really easy to use. It interfaces with the car's onboard systems, and you use the cruise control switch to toggle it up and down. One click up (with cruise control power off and <25mph) the front goes up. Another click and the back end goes up. One click down and the car lowers. With the automatic sensors I can imagine it's even easier, but I opted to go without so it would be completely reversible (no holes drilled).

Anyways, it's a pricey upgrade for sure, but for what you are getting it's worth it in my opinion. Let me know if you have any other questions!

That’s pretty neat that it integrates into the cruise control. Won’t it void the warranty though?

this kit was designed and built with innovative proprietary components. The inventor is a genius and a jeweler....so the kit is oem quality.

The warranty on what? The cruise control? I can live with that. :smile:

I just heard somewhere a while back that Acura was turning down warranty work for having a bolt on exhaust so I was just curious if it was something they would overlook or not. It doesn’t sound like Acura wants anyone to touch this car unless they’re from their own work force.

I just heard somewhere a while back that Acura was turning down warranty work for having a bolt on exhaust so I was just curious if it was something they would overlook or not. It doesn’t sound like Acura wants anyone to touch this car unless they’re from their own work force.

I'd be pretty surprised if Acura refused to honor the warranty for something not related to the aftermarket part that was installed on the car. I'll take that risk, I guess, the car really should have come with this from the factory anyways. So far the car has been bulletproof and no need to invoke any warranty work other than a bit of noise from faulty door seals. :smile:

Not a great experience so far

I’m thinking of getting the iLift kit from Science of Speed. It seems like a worthwhile product to keep the front end from getting scraped up. Does anyone have experience with this product they can share? Build quality, impact on handling, etc.

I had these installed about a month ago. My 2017 NSX is my daily driver and it now has about 27,000 miles on it. So, I drive it on all kinds of paved road conditions (except, of course snow and ice). I live in southern Oregon, so we don't have much of that, but when we do, there is no salt, just lava rock for traction. In any event, after the first month, one of the actuators started to leak. I could hear it hissing when it was activated. It still performed the lift, but the hiss was annoying and, of course, didn't hold the lift in place. The only way to get this fixed was to take the car to the mechanic, have the actuator removed, sent back to Science of Speed, where the problem could be diagnosed and fixed. The diagnosis was that a heavy dose of grit had gotten into and fouled the actuator. This despite a 'fail-safe' dust boot. The repair was made (I haven't gotten the bill yet), and the actuator was sent back to the mechanic for re-installation. The SofS warranty covers no labor (which of course is the predominant part of the cost). Willson (owner of SofS) initially insisted the actuator had been installed improperly and had torn. When that proved false, then it was that I was driving the car under 'extraordinary' operating conditions. No assumption of any accountability for what is obviously a faulty design. In the final analysis, I'm hopeful that once the actuator is re-installed, the system will function properly. However, I am naturally concerned that the same thing is going to happen to the other side.

You should assume that anything aftermarket like this would risk sending your warranty to the trash bin

Not saying every dealership is looking to hurt you, but no reason for Honda to get stuck paying for something that goes wrong due to some one else's handiwork

And I am not throwing stones at this or any other vendor

I'd be interested, but at about half the price. $4K plus labor, no thanks. My car is lowered 1" but I have been pretty lucky and not had too many clearance problems.

Last edited:
I do not have an NSX yet, but I'm wondering if scraping the front end is a common issue? I live in Los Angeles where some of the entry and exit out of parking lots are deeper than usual. It would be tiresome as a daily driver to be worried about scraping the front bumper constantly.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

My 2017 had Eibach lowering springs and it would scrape on driveways even when I was driving at an angle and going slowly. I ended up having the OEM springs put back on. Since then, I have not experienced any issues. However, I still approach dips, bumps, and driveways at an angle. The car sits pretty low at stock height. Having said that I would not overly worry about the ride height. Just enjoy this great car!

Last edited:
I do not have an NSX yet, but I'm wondering if scraping the front end is a common issue? I live in Los Angeles where some of the entry and exit out of parking lots are deeper than usual. It would be tiresome as a daily driver to be worried about scraping the front bumper constantly.

I live in L.A. as well and know what you mean. Some of the speed bumps in parking lots, and dips on roads for flood control are also pretty extreme. My NSX is still very new, so I'm still in the babying stage--I take it really slow approaching anything I think could cause a scrape. Despite that care, I do occasionally hear that "crunchhhhh" sound that makes me cringe. I did spring for the accessory protection film under the front lip, which so far seems to have absorbed all the damage (what little there is--there were some scrapes I was sure were dragging deep gouges in my carbon fiber front lip but when I checked found there was nothing I could see or feel).

In the end, though, I agree with [MENTION=6718]drmanny3[/MENTION]: it's not going to prevent me from enjoying the car nor using it as a daily driver, and I hope it won't deter you either!

iLift Activation Switch location?

I just recently got a beautiful 2017 with iLift and the sensors from a car dealer in Chicago. I have read the manual online and have cruise off but the iLift is not working when i attempt to use the up cruise control button. The manual mentions an "activation switch" to turn the system on or off ONCE in the manual and no further information. Looked under hood and see no switch and no indication of where it is in the manual. Anyone know where it is? The manual mentions if can be turned off or on but no luck finding it. Was going to email SOS but wanted to check with experts here first. This car is amazing and no that sun has returned to Cali will finally get a pic or two up. Thanks for any assistance!

Ted

I just recently got a beautiful 2017 with iLift and the sensors from a car dealer in Chicago. I have read the manual online and have cruise off but the iLift is not working when i attempt to use the up cruise control button. The manual mentions an "activation switch" to turn the system on or off ONCE in the manual and no further information. Looked under hood and see no switch and no indication of where it is in the manual. Anyone know where it is? The manual mentions if can be turned off or on but no luck finding it. Was going to email SOS but wanted to check with experts here first. This car is amazing and no that sun has returned to Cali will finally get a pic or two up. Thanks for any assistance!

Ted

Now have the iLift working. It was plugged into the fuse box incorrectly. I am almost positive the dealer I bought it from unplugged it while it was on the floor for some reason - perhaps thinking it would drain the battery. But I got i plugged in properly and it is now working. Great for my driveway and neighborhood speed bumps. I would recommend a lift as right after I got my used 2017 recently I had about $3K of maintenance done on it including new tires. After the maintenance it was parked next to a white one at Oakland Acura for pickup. The white one was anothe owner I heard was selling it to get a Type S and I noticed the front valence was cracked. I was told it was a pot hole or something he hit and the damage was slight but visible and was told it would cost around 10-15K to repair. Ouch. The lift is nice just for piece of mind too.

Back