• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

I'm thinking about buying this 1993 NSX Turbo JH4NA1159PT000539

Re: I'm thinking about buying this 1993 NSX Turbo

the parts alone are worth quite a bit.

i would say that the $30K in 'upgrades' is pretty close to accurate.

it really depends what you are looking for in a car, and what this example ends up selling for. i don't think the seller would drop the price much below $40k though.

a stock 1993 example in fairly good condition will go for around $25k now. Consider this has a lovefab stage 3 turbo system (~$15k), upgraded suspension, chassis bracing, wheels ($3.5k), nice and subtle aero/cosmetic upgrades ($5k)...things really begin to add up.

the parts alone are worth quite a bit.

i would say that the $30K in 'upgrades' is pretty close to accurate.

it really depends what you are looking for in a car, and what this example ends up selling for. i don't think the seller would drop the price much below $40k though.

a stock 1993 example in fairly good condition will go for around $25k now. Consider this has a lovefab stage 3 turbo system (~$15k), upgraded suspension, chassis bracing, wheels ($3.5k), nice and subtle aero/cosmetic upgrades ($5k)...things really begin to add up.

The owner said that he would let it got for 35K and end auction early, or let the auction run (if htere is only 1 bod it should go for 30K)
That car adds up pretty much what I want to do to an NSX
Everything adds up, the only thing that I am concerned with is how does the engine swap affects the cars value
Seller says that he used an engine from a wrecked NSX including the turbo kit

Last edited:

The owner said that he would let it got for 35K and end auction early, or let the auction run (if htere is only 1 bod it should go for 30K)
That car adds up pretty much what I want to do to an NSX
Everything adds up, the only thing that I am concerned with is how does the engine swap affects the cars value
Seller says that he used an engine from a wrecked NSX including the turbo kit

Don't buy a modded car if your concerned about value. If the car is tuned correctly and runs good, you won't even be concerned about its value.

Don't buy a modded car if your concerned about value. If the car is tuned correctly and runs good, you won't even be concerned about its value.

You are right, if it is built and tuned correctly value should not be an issue. But
I'm not worried about the vehicle's value in its current condition; my concern is how does not having the original engine affect value on a NSX (in case I have to sell it later)

You are right, if it is built and tuned correctly value should not be an issue. But
I'm not worried about the vehicle's value in its current condition; my concern is how does not having the original engine affect value on a NSX (in case I have to sell it later)

If you are buying it as a collectors item it may effect your price, if you are buying it as a car to drive and have fun with I don't think it will matter.

IMO the swapped engine isnt going to affect value anymore than all the mods done to the car will... at the point this car is at, you have a small amount of people who would consider buying it with all the mods, so chances are those people wouldnt mind that its not the original motor.

Dont do it!!!

What's your rationale for that?:confused:

I think it would depend on what the OP wants out of the car? Does he want a pristine collectors item, then no. Does he want a purposely built fast car then, maybe this is the car for him, only he can answer that. Not a fan of some of the mods but thats me. To each his own.

Was a great deal...a pos nsx cost 15-20k add the turbo and you are over 30k. I understand no id on engines.

Looks like it ended - I hope you got it!

IMO, it looks like a very nice car that's been tastefully modified and well-maintained by an enthusiast. It's unfortunate they have to sell :frown:

Dave

Someone beat me to it, I wanted to talk to the owner before bidding but he didn't contact me.
Whoever bought it got a hell of a driver, next time....

Thanks for everyone's responses

Just because there was a winning bid doesn't mean that the car wa bought for $30k. I think we'll see it up for sale on fleaBay again soon.

Just because there was a winning bid doesn't mean that the car wa bought for $30k. I think we'll see it up for sale on fleaBay again soon.

Just found out that the person that bid on it was a kid with no money and no credit to get a loan...

Just found out that the person that bid on it was a kid with no money and no credit to get a loan...

Why do people do this? :confused:

Are you going to see if you can get it for $30K, would seem like a good deal to me if the frame is straight and the motor is healthy (compression leakdown test.) and it passes a PPI.

I'm going to throw out some things to think about:

1. You know nothing about how the car was driven!

2. If it was run like hell on the track - you don't know if the engine needs rebuilding - NOW.

3. It's already got an engine that didn't come with the car!

4. This has all the ear marks of a bad deal for you - in my book.

5. Is this guy a Prime member - if so have you checked out his threads. If he isn't - you can't check him out and this car needs some serious checking out in my book.

6. Based on the cursory research you've done - if I were you I'd move on!

Good luck. What DocL said should give you a hint at what's happening here. I wouldn't give over 30k for it and I'd have a PPI done first by someone that really understands these cars and if you can't find one - walk away - run away fast.

1. You know nothing about how the car was driven!
This is true for any used car you buy.

2. If it was run like hell on the track - you don't know if the engine needs rebuilding - NOW.

Why I said to do a leak down test and get a PPI

3. It's already got an engine that didn't come with the car!

Only an issue if he wants a garage queen, there are some examples of peoples cars that have new motors due to harmonic balancer breaking/rebuilds...NSXTASY comes to mind...if you could source a good engine for less than a rebuild might be a reason he has a new motor.

4. This has all the ear marks of a bad deal for you - in my book.

Tim, based on all your posts, when you were buying an NSX, you wanted a pristine NSX that was not modified or lightly modified if that, so this car is obvioulsy not for you. The OP may have a different opinion about what they want in a car, maybe a cheap way to get into a turbo car if they wanted to go that route, assuming it was built properly.

5. Is this guy a Prime member - if so have you checked out his threads. If he isn't - you can't check him out and this car needs some serious checking out in my book.

Agree

6. Based on the cursory research you've done - if I were you I'd move on!

As I said, depends on what the OP wants, do the Compression Leakdown test and the PPI and go from there if you are still interested.

clr - your advice is always good! The PPI and leak down will tell you a lot but not all.

For example one of my friends here on Prime was looking at a car - a brooklands green one - that has had a lot of mods and an SC which is no longer on the car. He's a Primer - which means you can check out his posts and threads and find out what kind of person he is AND you can find out how he drove the car many times by the way and what he posts. If he's not a primer there's not much of a way to determine anything.

Now in this case - and I'm guessing a bit here - you could do a leak down and it might come up ok - but that wouldn't be the whole story about how much the car was tracked and how the guy drove the car - now would it. But just because a guy is a Primer doesn't necessarily mean he'd post a lot or a lot about driving his car - in this case the guy did talk a lot.

Point of the story is - my friend backed off the car. Now that may not necessarily be the deal here but without that reference I don't know how lucky I'd feel. It is hard to tell how a car has been driven by looking at it and examining it or even doing a leak down unless the car has really been thru the mill.

Another way of looking at it but you are right again in one way - this guy here may want all those mods and may be able to get a bunch for less - I've always thought that you get what you pay for - or another way of saying - you might not be getting what you think your getting. Without a lot of history on the car it's more of a guessing game. If this guy is comfortable with that then hey - he's a big boy - let him figure it out - maybe he'll be lucky and get a good one - maybe this is a good one?

Be careful that's always good advice especially when you find one with a lot of mods and the SC is still on the car. I wish him all the best - there is plenty of good advice here and as I said CLR yours is always good.

Back