• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Import Questions

I'm sure you'd get plenty of buyers if you can beat the current prices of a 91 and have it register in the US like any other car.
I say this because I'm watching the new postings on prime here and every new Nsx posted will get about 1000 views in 24 hours. To me, this means there's a demand still.
Get a clean white 91 over and beat the US prices and you have a solid prospective buyer in me.

Ooooh, make me a liar :smile:! That car is special, and not in a good way. Interesting take on two tone wheels. I will venture a guess that it will not achieve its asking price (even if it is Cdn $)

- - - Updated - - -

Bear in mind, we are buying direct from the auctions, not privately/dealers.
Last 10 '91 NSX auction (sold) prices (USD):

<tbody>
</tbody>
Average: 20785
First 10 '91 cars I found for sale on carsales.com/autotrader:
Average: 53505

<tbody>
</tbody>

You have two or three high $ out layers in the data set for the asking price. Without knowing the details, I can't comment on the validity of those asking prices. However, they are skewing your average asking price. Knock the three top priced cars out of the calculation and you end up with an average that is closer to the Hagerty value.

The data set that you have for the Japanese auction prices is much more tightly clustered and the average probably represents a more reasonable expectation as to what you might pay for a car. When I was shopping, I was looking for newer vehicles in Japan (ignoring the problem with trying to import a non exempt vehicle at the time) which might explain a bit of the price difference. I am still at a bit of a loss to understand the huge price difference between the auction prices you identified and the prices that I saw. Somebody was taking a huge margin.

That said, if you think you can make a go of it, great. Just be a little cautious about what the retail price might be in North America - Unless its a type R! I will take all the type Rs you can sell for $45 K.

If you look at the screen shots of that 'special car', i'm not even sure its in Canada yet, those pictures are taken from another screen. My guess is if it sells (which it won't) then it will be imported over. I'm with the general consensus here, still maybe on the pricey side to get them over here, plus minor conversions that have to take place to be roadworthy.

Oh absolutely. I am assuming an average difference in the asking/actual sale price of around 3-5k per car in the US. Ie; people on autotrader who are asking 45k will probably get 40-42. That's the way it usually goes...

- - - Updated - - -

Total shipping costs/modifications won't exceed 4k all up, more likely around 3k. Assuming I can locate good nick cars for around 21k (which seems reasonable) this still gives a margin of 9k (including the local dealer commission in the states) on a 35k sale.
I'm not seeing how the maths isn't holding up? That seems like more than enough to make it a worthwhile venture.
Appreciating all the feedback guys.

Hi all, thought I would chime in on this post as I have imported a number of NSX's from Japan and here is my understanding after watching the market for the last 10 years:

- Approx 1 in 10 NSX's are manual trans
- Approx 6 in 10 are year 90 to 94
- Approx 2 in 10 are unmolested
- Of those molested approx. 30% are wacky Japanese body kits and bling, the other 70% is just wheels, wing, lowered, seats and steering wheels.
- Approx 9 in 10 have NO service history
- 95% have accurate odometer readings due to the very strict laws governing vehicle exports from Japan
- AT models over 100km sell between 2-2.3mil Yen (90-94)
- AT models below 100km don't seem to exist often (90-94)
- MT below 100km sell for over 3mil Yen (90-94)
- MT over 100km sell around the 2.6mil Yen mark and above depending on condition (90-94)
- Approx 6 in 10 have damage history, minor or major its still marked as damaged and replaced
- Never import a car below grade 4, you will regret it and even then it could have been badly assessed and could still have damage. I have personal experience with a car that was flagged as non damaged and had a bent cross member and chassis rail that required repair to comply with our strict laws.
- NA2 MT models sell around the 5-6mil yen mark
- NA1 typeR's pop up once every 3-4 months, usually don't sell and priced around 6-8mil yen
- NA2 typeR's only ever seen one, was priced at 23mil yen

Don't forget to add extra costs like bidders cut, FOB, export tax, import tax, shipping, insurance and road worthiness (brakepads, seatbelts, brake hoses, service)

Like I said that's what I see, my figures could be slightly off. Personally If I lived in the states I would wait until the 1992 TypeR could be bought in, that's a real point of difference if that's what you are looking for.

Also my 2 cents on RHD and LHD driving. We are RHD here in NZ. I have owned 6 LHD cars and it makes no difference how you drive, you look out the windscreen at the road just like you would when sitting on the other side. We have super strict import and licensing rules, safety campaigns etc and now they let new LHD cars in from the states without the need to convert to RHD, that's says something.......

If decent NSX's from Japan auctions are selling at those low numbers why wouldn't RHD markets like Aus/NZ/UK/HK etc. snap them up first?
N. America has a larger supply of NSX's than any market in the world so selling RHD here doesn't make a lot of sense.

If decent NSX's from Japan auctions are selling at those low numbers why wouldn't RHD markets like Aus/NZ/UK/HK etc. snap them up first?
N. America has a larger supply of NSX's than any market in the world so selling RHD here doesn't make a lot of sense.

I can only vouch for NZ and slightly for Aussie.

We have 4 million people. 3.9 million don't know what an NSX is :)

10 years ago there were 10 in NZ, now there is approx. 35-40 last time I checked 6 months back. The car attracts a lot of attention here, from those who play them on playstation to the middle aged men who wanted one when the debuted to the guys my age who can appreciate a true future classic. I think only 3 were sold new @ 280k each. I have never seen a 2002+ and only 1 NA2 Targa in yellow.

Considering after import fees, tax and very strict compliance you don't get much change from 45k on a auto and 60k on a manual and that excludes any maintenance which is a sure thing when buying from Japan. Considering a used 2008 GTR is 60k and we have open slather for all sorts of cool stuff from Japan, why would you buy an NSX unless you have a real passion for them like us.

Aussie has a local car manufacturing stable (Ford/Holden) and up until 2017 the government restricts imports to around 5% of the total market so its hard to get a car in, also if the car was originally sold as new in Aussie then they prefer you buy local rather than import. After 2017 the rules will change as Ford/Holden are shutting up shop. I had this discussion with a colleague last week from Victoria so I am hoping what he told me is accurate, if not feel free to correct me.......

Cheers

im from the uk and have recently bought a Japanese import (for a few different reasons but didn't want a uk or European one)

there is a huge amount of choice in japan but that means wading through a lot of bad cars before you find the one you want.

There is a huge amount of auto - manual conversions (lower power) and a lot of highly modified ones (bodywork etc)

however I managed to find one with the bits I wanted (wheels, coilovers, exhaust, steering wheel)

the service history has to be translated which is not impossible but difficult.

Underneath though is like brand new, not even the front castor adjusters are seized! all the original zinc plating on the bolts etc is still in awesome condition.

This is the primary reason why I wanted a JDM car, the short gear ratios and mods etc are a bonus.

However the cost is not hugely different to a UK car (over here they start at about 30,000 GBP / 45000 USD) as you have to pay for the vehicle (mine was about 30,000 USD) but it worked out about another third on top of that for all the fees, taxes, delivery etc etc

the choice is just a lot better in Japan, there are only about 10 for sale over here and a lot are auto.

2017 will see NSX-R's eligible for import. NSX-S and NSX-S-Zero models will be eligible in 2022. Those special models, particularly the -R, could be worth bringing over.

^ good luck finding an S-Zero that hasn't been abused too much, and costs less than a Type R !

This one is the only decent S-Zero on the market at the moment:

http://www.route-ks.com/stock/detail/91/index.html

Be prepared for a shock if you want to know what they'll let it go for.....

Last edited:

th

Australia/NZ have exceptionally strict import laws - it's virtually impossible to bring a car in, let alone sell it.

Seriously guys, thanks though! Final question....
Hypothetically:
If, by some miracle, I found a very nice (grade 4 at least) manual, '91 RHD, >60k miles and brought it over...can I have a survey of what price people would think reasonable? Remember all minor cosmetics and such, as well as the small number of conversions (indicators, lights) would all be done at one of our workshops). Just want to get an idea what people would pay.
35 reasonable you think? That's still much less than most local models for the "inconvenience" of it being RHD. Could we go higher? Would people pay 40?

Cheers again!

Here's my opinion on the matter for a lack of rhd nsx in Canada. (also a little background, im currently looking for an nsx but being very patient to get a local one or wait until the CDN exchange is better to consider getting one in the states).

I know it's a little more difficult to get full coverage for insurance on a rhd car. When you plan on purchasing a car that's 30k+ after auctions and shipped. That's kind of crazy driving that around without full coverage :S

Also, you have to deal with left turns at busy intersections, can't reach for parking tickets when entering parkades (or drive-thrus :( ), and just adapting to driving on the right side.

Now this is all my opinion but I'd rather not have to deal with all of those issues. I'd rather wait for a local one to pop up then to save money and get a rhd one.

Back