• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Improve your mileage - Hypermiling an NSX

That guy is stupid and dangerous.
He should get off the road.

+1. I totally agree.

Ditto. Hypermiling causes other drivers to swerve around them and can create a harzard for everyone else. Also known as impeding traffic, and should be given a ticket.

I hypermile my NSX, i then use the money i save to buy more mint condition action figures for my collection.:biggrin:

I kid of course.:wink:

I neither look at the price of gas i'm paying nor do i concern myself with my mpg. Maybe when i'm like 70 years old i'll have time to worry about such things as this and also finding those nifty things that hold your sox up.:tongue:

Wow, that's extreme. :eek: What mental illness is this? How to cure it (shooting ruled out for obvious reasons :D)?

What about getting their as*es on a bicycle if they only drive that slow instead of slowing all the other drivers down to their speed? This would save much more fuel.

These people are idiots for the most part. But if it makes them happy, well...........too frickin bad. Its dangerous. Get off the road. Ride the bus. Walk. Stay home. Whatever. Just stay out of my way.

i can't wait till he catches a heat stroke in his car in the summer when it reaches over 120 degrees inside and hes driving very slow and not willing to turn on the a/c or roll down the windows because its just "throwing it away"

well good, you can throw your life away you cheap bastard.

Hypermiling the NSX for me would be shifting to the next gear before ~6000 RPM.

Yeah, I do that sometimes. :)

Meh, anything close to spirited driving around here is impossible, so I tend to try to drive really conservatively. I don't do the over-the-top stuff that guy does, but if you're driving a familiar route to work, especially if there are a lot of hills, you can really refine the accelerator usage.

There's one really large, and entirely unpopulated, uphill drive on the way home. I work my way up to a pretty good speed, just enough to get me over the top of the hill, and then, about 2/3 of the way up, I lay off the gas and then coast a good two miles down the other side to the next stop light. I don't drive particularly slowly at any point, because I don't think anyone else should pay for my experimenting, but for a little while at the top, I probably piss off the wealth of BMW drivers around here who can't stand driving less than 20mph over the limit. I'm okay with that. :) I figure I'm using a near-optimal amount of fuel to traverse the hill, given the car and the desire not to hold up the people behind me. Too bad about the stop light, though, because I could easily coast another mile or so at a perfectly reasonable speed otherwise.

Anyway, lots of simple stuff like using hills sensibly, paying close attention to the timing of lights, using the highest gear possible, etc., can get me 28mpg in semi-suburban driving. I could probably get over 30 on the freeway, but I don't actually hit the freeway very often.

Once in a while I have fun instead, of course. :) All work and no play...

PS: Don't forget weight reduction if you want to increase mileage.

My BMW was made to drive at 140mph from Frankfurt to Munich. It hates going 60mph.

I am driving the speed limit mostly these days and since the tilt failed today, that's going to hurt, I found this stalk on the left side of the wheel that makes some sort of light flash.

I don't understand why so many seem to hate this guy?

Driving the speed limit? How dare he obey the traffic laws put in place by society. Next thing you know he'll be stopping at red lights.

Driving that slow can be a hazard, but he seems to be very aware of whats going on around him and when he can drive that slow. Kinda like the many post on here I've read about opening it up when traffic and street conditions allow and I think a case could be made for a 120mph being as dangerous as 20mph.

I totally agree with the fashion statement. How crazy is it that a person would want to buy a car that makes a statement about there lifestyle.
Its almost like picking a car due to its rareness or ability to turn more heads than a vette or 911:rolleyes:

I think we may have more in common with this guy than you think. He bought a car designed with maximum milage in mind and he is doing all he can to get the most out of the design.
We have a car that was designed to go fast and many of us do what we can to extract as much of the potential out of the car that we can.

It would drive me nuts to do 20mph everywhere I go too, I just don't understand the rage?

Driving the speed limit? How dare he obey the traffic laws put in place by society. Next thing you know he'll be stopping at red lights.

Driving that slow can be a hazard, but he seems to be very aware of whats going on around him and when he can drive that slow. Kinda like the many post on here I've read about opening it up when traffic and street conditions allow and I think a case could be made for a 120mph being as dangerous as 20mph.

I totally agree with the fashion statement. How crazy is it that a person would want to buy a car that makes a statement about there lifestyle.
Its almost like picking a car due to its rareness or ability to turn more heads than a vette or 911:rolleyes:

I think we may have more in common with this guy than you think. He bought a car designed with maximum milage in mind and he is doing all he can to get the most out of the design.
We have a car that was designed to go fast and many of us do what we can to extract as much of the potential out of the car that we can.

It would drive me nuts to do 20mph everywhere I go too, I just don't understand the rage?

The hate is easy. What he's doing isn't normal. As Americans we've become entitled to waste because we want to because we can.

In the 70's when gas prices became to high the sleeping giant awakened and Americans as a whole cut back, found ways not to drive. Took public transportation , bikes anything to fight back and say we won't be controlled.

I hate to say this but Bush is right ( damn that hurt ) it's an ADDICTION. Not only that it's an addiction that we're proud of. SUVs were as I was growing up a work vehicle for people who NEEDED something that large to accomplish tasks. That much vehicle isn't needed by one person to get to work or for a Family with two kids.

Think about it a big slow gas guzzler became "cool" and an image of American success and main stream affluence. Also Americans became bigger too maybe to match their vehicles ..LOL Then we said hey "technology fix this" because we wanted heavy cars to be 'faster" so we don't have to wait and can pass people to get past the speed limit faster. Speaking of speed limits we needed them to be higher as we were going to slow! Didn't matter gas was cheap for us so why not burn it to save time.

LOL In my state the cops usually let speeders past doing 10-15 over the limit as they know most people like doing 20+ over the speed limit ( logical as that means a fatter ticket ) Of coure then there's the usual complaints that we've all heard.

Sorry to break this into race but it usually goes like this.

For white people the cops stopped them for speeding because they ( police ) have a "quota" or it's the end of the month , couldn't get a real job so they pick on decent people who aren't breaking any laws they're just in a hurry.

For Blacks ( since I'm black I heard these growing up ) when they get stopped for speeding it was because they're DWB ( driving while black ) , driving to nice of a car and the POlice don't like that and they got a quota

Other minorities range between the two above if you've heard some let me know:biggrin:

There are so few people who will actually say "I was flying low ready for take off" LOL

The sleeping giant has become a sleeping B*tch! Because nowadays when ever there's a problem Americans just b*tch about it and rarely change.

The majority on the future NSX forum want MORE POWER as everyone clearly knows the NSXs biggest problem is that it didn't have enough power:rolleyes: . Power of course requires more fuel.

As a country we've burned a lot of fuel and now it's time to pay up and change our ways.

According to my driving observations in my state gas really isn't that high. I think it may have to go up to $6 bucks before people in my state slow and change vehicle size habits. Which is really going to suck!

I'll say this last thing. When I was at the NAIAS in January and saw Ferrari displaying a BIOdiesel F430 I knew that something was a foot ..LOL

Saving the environment????
Ummm. No.

It's people like this(guy in video, not OP) who cause traffic jams and cause hundreds of cars to sit in stop and go traffic for hours. He might get 80mpg, but he's causing a few hundred other cars to get really bad mpg.

Saving the environment????
Ummm. No.

It's people like this(guy in video, not OP) who cause traffic jams and cause hundreds of cars to sit in stop and go traffic for hours. He might get 80mpg, but he's causing a few hundred other cars to get really bad mpg.

I thought that came from people stopping to gawk at accidents ..LOL

He doesn't always drive at the speed limit, or below it. Sometimes he does stupid dangerous things to save gas, and this includes speeding and driving at speeds higher than the driving conditions allow.

In the article he states that because he doesn't want to waste gas, he keeps going at a certain speed and maintains it as much as he can. Going faster or slower will cause him to use more gas.
In the article, he states that he goes through 35mph turns at his constant speed of 50mph, which is just plain stupid and dangerous, especially considering what type of vehicle he is driving.

I find it impossible to "hypermile" the NSX, but I always try to squeeze the best possible mileage out of my Insight. Just got back from a 260 mile trip wher I averaged 83.4 mpg. :eek:

I love that car! :biggrin:

there are plenty more videos like this on you tube

Exciting life that guy has.

Maybe with his savings he will splurge and take his wife out for a nice reasonably priced organic dinner....

19556262.Mvc014s.jpg

OMG this is the MOST Stupid topic I have ever heard of - and frankly this is the FIRST TIME I have ever heard of this term before! (Yes I was born in the US....:rolleyes: )

Just saying that word "hypermiling" sounds gay in so many ways but to those driver's who actually do this, be careful cuz your gonna piss of a lot of driver's out there and might even cause an accident god forbid.

I can see this thread on a Lexus forum but on an NSX forum you guys gotta be kidding. I drive pretty calm and try to avoid pedal to the metal in my SUV or when I'm out with family but all reasoning goes to hell when I drive my sports cars or bikes. I bought these cars to ENJOY myself and the last thing I do is try to save a few mpg....hahaha

I got a new term for hypermiling and it's spelled "L O S E R" :biggrin:

I have to quote this from the article...OMG is this even legal or safe???

"Buckle up tight, because this is the death turn," says Wayne. Death turn? We're moving at 50 mph. Wayne turns off the engine. He's bearing down on the exit, and as he turns the wheel sharply to the right, the tires squeal—which is what happens when you take a 25 mph turn going 50. Cathy, Terry's wife, who is sitting next to me in the backseat, grabs my leg. I grab the door handle."

OMG this is the MOST Stupid topic I have ever heard of - and frankly this is the FIRST TIME I have ever heard of this term before! (Yes I was born in the US....:rolleyes: )

You mean you haven't visited the hypermiling forums? What kind of greenie are you? :confused:

jitcrunch.aspx

Just saying that word "hypermiling" sounds gay in so many ways but to those driver's who actually do this, be careful cuz your gonna piss of a lot of driver's out there and might even cause an accident god forbid.

Next time you see one... play along and throw out a free fuel saver tip. They discovered on myth busters that you can save 39% by drafting ten feet or less off the back of a big rig. :wink:

I can see this thread on a Lexus forum but on an NSX forum you guys gotta be kidding.

I guess the NSX is the new Lexus.

I will admit - I have turned off my car at certain stop lights that take FOREVER on the way home. This has at times, shaven about 5 minutes in my estimation of a 15-20 minute trip. It's significant.. but if I get it wrong, I end up pissing off everyone behind me :tongue: .. and it's a lot of effort.

Only with my beater though :biggrin: (..except for once, but that's b/c the car is loud..:rolleyes: )

yep i do it in my daily commuter.

not in the nsx.

although the extra wear and tare are minmal once the car warms up, if your hurting for gas that much, buying a daily commuter would probably be the better alternative.

driving a little civic that gets 35-38mpg. 65 on the freeway, good a/c. 46$/tank goes for 350+ miles cant beat that.

we can hypermill the nsx till the cows come home, it wont get that mpg.:smile:

just thought of this too

the other reason dont do this in the nsx is you lose power brakes.

you get about 2-3 stops before the vaccum in the brake booster is gone the car becomes hard to stop.

dont think saving 10$ a tank is worth crashing up the nsx.:smile:

Next time you see one... play along and throw out a free fuel saver tip. They discovered on myth busters that you can save 39% by drafting ten feet or less off the back of a big rig. :wink:

think of the rock chips.:eek:

Hey Dr. Dave,

Sounds like you were really trying to get to 33mpg. Could you share with us your alignment settings? How does your settings compare to factory recommendation?

Silver:

I should add that I did not use the cruise control. I can always hand fly better than the cruise control since it can only react to current conditions. While under manual control I can anticipate upcoming road conditions and vary the throttle accordingly. With a small incline for a short distance I may just hold steady throttle and let the car slow by five mph. When the road levels out I come back up to cruise speed. Yes, on ten mile long hills I will coast down the hill. With the clean aerodynamics of the car and gentle alignment settings the car slowly speeds up and I can pass most traffic.

Cruise control costs me about 1.5 mpg. Using the same techniques I can get 52 mpg out of my Goldwing, typically a mid-40's bike at best.

I am impressed with how good the mileage actually is on the NSX considering the high revs it turns. On GM big iron I would never want to turn the motor over 2K to get mileage. The NSX happily does great at 2600 or so.

I "think" alignment has a significant influence on mileage. I can't give you a comparison since I went away fron stock alignment settings within 100 miles of owning the car.

Oh gawd I've rambled on again.

Dave

yep i do it in my daily commuter.

not in the nsx.

although the extra wear and tare are minmal once the car warms up, if your hurting for gas that much, buying a daily commuter would probably be the better alternative.

driving a little civic that gets 35-38mpg. 65 on the freeway, good a/c. 46$/tank goes for 350+ miles cant beat that.

we can hypermill the nsx till the cows come home, it wont get that mpg.:smile:

Ron, you'd be surprised- it's all driver. See you have to be very sensitive with your right foot. To train in Japan they put an egg between the drivers foot and the accelerator to practice technique. A good driver can achieve WOT without cracking the egg shell every time.

Mindset is also key. Like a taceon, once you disconnect yourself from the multi-verse and achieve a pure state of zen in the hyper-mile zone; I can usually get to the crab nebula and back on one tank.

speed_of_light_3.jpg

I filled up yesterday, took careful note of how many gallons and miles, and determined to try to get the very best possible mileage from this new tank of gas.

I drove 2 miles home from the gas station as conservatively as I possibly could, never revving over 3000 RPM, shifting to 5th gear at 40 mph, etc.

By the time I got home, I knew I'd never ever be able to do this in my NSX. My car HATED being driven this way. I could hear it muttering under its breath the whole way, calling me names, insulting my parentage, and planning to run me over the next chance it got.

By this morning I had forgotten all about this insane plan. I revved it in the garage, took the top off, and enjoyed the hell out of my commute as I always have. I'll plant a tree or something to make up for my horrible wasteful ways, but I can't drive my NSX like it's a Prius.

Back