• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

In over my head!

Ok, I've only had my NSX for a couple of weeks. I'm not a "car guy" but I absolutely love this car. I started reading through all the threads on shifting and I'm still not sure when and how to change gears. I still don't know what rev-matching is and double clutching didn't seem as easy as some people make it out to be.

I've pretty much been resorting to commen sense and trying to shift as smoothly as possible. I have however noticed that I've developed some habits.

I tend to down shift to 3 and put it in Neutral until I come to a stop.

I accelerate quickly in 1-3 and skip 4th to cruise in 5th.

For some reason I also like to down shift and accelerate into turns.

I also like to shift from 5th to 4th on the freeway and accelerate to pass.
(of course the first time I tried this, I tried putting it into reverse...ouch! Should I really change the oil any time that happens?)

So here's my question: Other than trying to go from 5th to reverse (doh!) are any of these habits extremely bad for my car?

Thanks,

Mike

Congrats on your new car! :smile:

First time driving a stick?

As long as you don't do something really stupid that causes the car to over rev, like going from 5:th to 2:nd gear at high speeds for example, you should be fine.

Enjoy your NSX!

SDmike said:
So here's my question: Other than trying to go from 5th to reverse (doh!) are any of these habits extremely bad for my car?

The NSX locks out reverse once you are going over 6 mph. So don't worry about putting it in reverse on the hwy. Its not going to happen. You will get 6th gear instead.

Just enjoy the car. Read the website and you will learn more.

NSXLuvr said:
The NSX locks out reverse once you are going over 6 mph. So don't worry about putting it in reverse on the hwy. Its not going to happen. You will get 6th gear instead.

Just enjoy the car. Read the website and you will learn more.

Given that he stated that he "cruises in 5th," he probably has an 5 speed NA1, which I do not think is equipped with a reverse lockout switch (this is a typical feature of 6 speeds, as far as I know, although I could be wrong.):)

As for shifting into R, being used to 6-speeds, for a while, I instinctively tried to go to 6 in my 5-speed NSX. Fortunately, it simply went into 4th. :D

As for just shifting, I think that clutch wear is mostly caused by allowing the clutch to slip too much. Try to minimize the length of time that your foot is on the clutch.

Rev-matching is the second half of what happens in double-clutching. There are some who don't believe in the need for double-clutching (and there isn't a need to, but it can help save your syncros), and choose to simply match the RPMs for a smoother shift.

Rev-matching is easier to get used to than double-clutching, but with a little practice, double-clutching can become something you do naturally and quickly.

Here are two expert drivers demonstrating the lost art of stick shifting. :biggrin:

Click here.

I don't know about the rest of the guys, but I drive mine like I stole it!

Serously, it is way too easy to drive around at 4k to 5k rpm's...just make sure you arent keeping it in the higher rpm's. The manual says to drive in the lowest rpm range that will allow you to accelerate. I typically keep mine in the 2500 to 3500 range while driving around town.

SDmike said:
For some reason I also like to down shift and accelerate into turns. Mike

This is indeed quite a mystery, that I too have been trying to figure out. I am a nice quiet guy. I say "hello" to everyone and I walk calmly. There is something evil in the NSX that posesses me to downshift and accelerate into turns "for some reason" as well. I sometimes scream "yeehaw" outloud when I am alone, and there is a demonic grin on my face that I cannot control. :eek:

There is some kind of creepy Japanese Voodoo in this car... as soon as I get out, I am back to normal.

SDmike said:
I'm still not sure when and how to change gears. I still don't know what rev-matching is and double clutching didn't seem as easy as some people make it out to be.

I've pretty much been resorting to commen sense and trying to shift as smoothly as possible. I have however noticed that I've developed some habits.

Sign yourself up for a HPDE event as soon as possible and work with the instructor on developing the right skills. You can read a million posts on the Net but actually being shown what to do in your car with the right teacher is the proper way to learn.

It probably wouldn't hurt to call some commercial driving schools and see if they have an instructor who can help you with your specific needs.

Hey Everyone,

Thanks for all the feed back. Sorry about the lack of info...yes I have a 5-speed (96 NSX-T). I'm actually really comfortable driving a stick. However, some of the posts on shifting made it seem that if you were not a expert driver shifting in a very specific way, you could really screw up your car.

Thanks again!

Mike

I drive my car exactly as you've described and think it works just fine. The only piece of advice that I didn't quite understand and still can't do is to use the clutch when lifting the throttle at high revs. Apparently it can break the load springs (or whatever those springs on the clutch are called) and strand you at the side of the road (or the middle of the track as Rae can attest).

clutch pic

CDX_NSX said:
There are some who don't believe in the need for double-clutching (and there isn't a need to, but it can help save your syncros), and choose to simply match the RPMs for a smoother shift.

Double-clutching is never really necessary on a synchronized tranny, particularly when shifting gears in order. However, since SDmike admits to skipping gears double-clutching will really benefit his synchros. The more gears you skip the more stress on the synchros. For example shifting from 1st to 5th would be the most stressful on the synchros.

To avoid this stress, simply press in clutch, move gearshift from 1st to neutral, let cluch out, press clutch again, then move gearshift into 5th. Your tranny will thank you.

Having bad synchros really sucks. It makes the car much less fun to drive, but since the car remains basically driveable you end up putting off that repair and drive unhappy for a long time.:frown: We need some "Save the Synchros" bumper stickers.:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Back