• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Inside the NSX factory in Marysville

@chrisn

Valid points but if you're looking for that kind of prolonged performance the NSX is probably the wrong car?

I dunno. In a lonely freeway or dragstrip situation, you only need WOT power for 10-15 seconds before the system gets plenty of chance to use regen and/or parasitic charging to fill the battery back up. I am assuming that in Sport+ and Track mode the battery SoC is kept at a level to allow for this amount of WOT time.

My hope is that "consistency" on the track (which is MUCH harder on the car than isolated sprints) is not achieved by throttling max performance too much. Consistency by itself is easy. I'm looking sustained maximum performance.

Only testing will reveal the answers.

Great discussion.

I personally do not care much about 60-130 times. They are good for measuring pure power unaffected by launch disparities, and are great for internet bench racers, but they are largely meaningless in my real world. In the past ten years, I have exceeded 100 mph less than ten times. Conversely, I have launched a car from a dead stop tens of thousands of times. 60 - 80 pulls are not uncommon, but over 100 mph is a rarity for me. Therefore, I am not upset if a particular car will pull away from me between 100 and 200 mph, so long as the same car is in my rear view below 80 mph. Even if my car could maintain or extend the lead after 100 mph, I will be braking and allowing the other car to pull away.

Last edited:
What a cool video. Thanks for the link Bob!

I love driving my EV for the 0-50mph performance. It's a hoot to drive at those speeds but quickly tapers off 65-80mph. I'm more of your mindset [MENTION=31396]Superfluous[/MENTION]

I'm really looking forward to the driving experience of the new NSX. So far, from everything that I see, it would be a great car for what i'm looking to use it for.

I'm going to call it the NC1 btw. We call the 1st gen NSX NA1 and the 1st revision the NA2. The new chassis code is NC1.

With 11 coats of paint, I wonder if I can borrow a coat or two from a new owner.

your old one had 25 coats..:wink:

I love driving my EV for the 0-50mph performance. It's a hoot to drive at those speeds but quickly tapers off 65-80mph.

I get it. I love my BMW i3 for 0-45MPH. I'm hoping that the NSX will deliver the same sense of "instant unlimited TQ" from 0-100MPH. Tapering off in the 100-150MPH range is OK. Falling off a cliff is not.

your old one had 25 coats..:wink:
For real? No sh!t doc? Then someone must have seriously destroyed mine before respray in it poorly.

read up on how complex the original paint process was to get paint to adhere to aluminum back in the early 90's......

read up on how complex the original paint process was to get paint to adhere to aluminum back in the early 90's......
I will do that. Which always makes me wonder why some buyers claim our cars have rusty chassis when new owners are looking to buy, but I thought aluminum was far superior to corrosion and rust molecules.

there is galvanic corrosion....and some parts of the suspension and engine cradle can rust....bottom line the nsx was an amazing car for 1991.....just as the new one is today..the more you know the more amazing....its why I think the first car attracted so many engineers as owners...and that may ring true today..

Agreed. The only reason I dog the new Nsx sometimes is due to lack of a manual, lack of rear wheel drive, and the cost being out of my reach. I know all the tech makes it faster but it takes away the fun factor. Nothing is better than wheel spin in second or third gear. That is FUN!

Yes the early model suspension looks like something out of a sci fi movie. Even by today's standards.

steven,

That is one of the asks I had to the gentleman who visited the factory.

I would have to believe they are doing covered van line delivery from the factory to the customer's dealer.

We don't have any detail regarding how often a truck will leave the factory. I would hope it is at least daily. Some of the timing thing may be logistics driven (ex. 2 cars for CA, i for FL, 2 for TX, i for NY, 2 for GA) and they will have to determinate delivery patterns that can be quick and have drops reasonably close to each other.

If they would do home drop off (another member said that is not planned), the car could reach Chicago from Ohio in 5 hours.

500 whp is impressive. It looks like it holds power way pass 7500 rpm too, closer 7750 it looks like? Thanks for sharing this!

- - - Updated - - -

And for reference, since the GTR is similar weight, 4WD and rocket fast - stock dyno can range from 440-460 whp for the GTR. So at ~50 whp deficit and a much stronger torque curve, I'd say without a doubt, the new NSX is faster up until it has to fully rely on the ICE.

Nice and clean factory. I guess/fear that it's the last time 'my' NSX would have seen such a 'medical center like place' regarding the average garage in my area...

Are you sure about this? I know the wiki states that the original NSX went through a 23 step paint process, but I believe that includes the coating baths. According to the black/silver hardcover NSX book the car has 4 coats of paint. Not sure if this was increased in later years.

yes you are correct..I was taking the liberty of exaggerating substituting coats for steps to make a point....thanks for clarifying as I might have caused a new urban legend:redface:

Well then, for more trivia the NSX all-black book states it was a 27-step process, 4-coat, 4-bake...

27-step.jpg

yesss more steps......you getting all this Jinks:biggrin:...supersize that paint process....

Back