• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Install A Apexi Vafc Vtec Controller

HAS ANYONE INSTALLED A APEXI VAFC INTO A NSX? I HAVE INSTALLED MANY INTO CIVICS AND INTEGRAS BUT NEVER INTO AN NSX. IF ANYONE HAS THE INSTRUCTIONS CAN YOU PLEASE EMAIL TO [email protected] OR IF SOMEONE COULD GIVE ME A BREAK DOWN. LOOKING FOR ANY INPUT!! :D ALSO IF YOU HAVE INSTALLED ONE WHAT WAS THE END RESULT? POWER DIFF., VTEC ENGAGE, FUEL AND AIR CURVES ANTHING YOU CAN TELL ME BEFORE I SPEND HOURS OF TIME TO INSTALL. :eek:

Next time try to turn the caps off some people do not like it.....

PROJECTNSX said:
HAS ANYONE INSTALLED A APEXI VAFC INTO A NSX? I HAVE INSTALLED MANY INTO CIVICS AND INTEGRAS BUT NEVER INTO AN NSX. IF ANYONE HAS THE INSTRUCTIONS CAN YOU PLEASE EMAIL TO [email protected] OR IF SOMEONE COULD GIVE ME A BREAK DOWN. LOOKING FOR ANY INPUT!! :D ALSO IF YOU HAVE INSTALLED ONE WHAT WAS THE END RESULT? POWER DIFF., VTEC ENGAGE, FUEL AND AIR CURVES ANTHING YOU CAN TELL ME BEFORE I SPEND HOURS OF TIME TO INSTALL. :eek:

WHAT???!!!
djsmile.gif

Actually not worth doing on an NSX.

So from what im hearing its not worth taking the time to install. I have had tremendous power gains installing them into civics and integras. Its hard to understand why this is not a good idea to be able to adjust the fuel and air curves and vtec engagment point throughout the powerband. Has anyone actualy installed one and seen the outcome?

Feel free to try it, but I wouldn't expect much. Keep in mind that the NSX was tuned entirely differently than the cars you have worked on in the past. For starters, the cams are ground differently so the transition from low RPM set to high RPM lobe sets is much less dramatic. Econo cars are set for MPG at modest throttle and a kick in the pants when you get on it. The NSX was tuned for better and more progressive performance across the entire range. You may be able to retune it somewhat more to your liking, but probably not significantly faster overall. Ask yourself why Honda would leave much easy power on the table in the flagship car. They wouldn't unless they deemed the alternative a poor compromise. And if your car isn't already running at close to the optimal AFR during WOT then something else is wrong. Again, Honda had no reason to detune it under conditions that don't impact their EPA and MPG ratings. In other words, this is not your little brother’s Civic. ;)

Also look at some of the chips, such as the one from Dali that is generally considered the best. They were free to massage the same parameters and burn them into the chip, yet the gains are modest. (but a bargain compared to the DIY you are considering)

I have installed the second gen S-AFC on the X. I see no point in going the vtec-afc route...not worth the hassle and you give up alot to ingage v-tec early AND BTW IT WILL NOT WORK! the install was for a power adder (n20).I would not recommend install on a stock setup. IMHO it is the cheapy route on a stock car and any gains are offset by the risky install process (as in items may incur damage just from working the unit in. its not like on a CRX.but n20 guy wanted it on the cheap.I have not heard from him in 18 months BUT have heard second hand storys about how fast his X is (stealth n20 install. having said all that I would NOTdo it again as what a fair market rate to install on our cars is way lower then the potential for destruction or damage to components and engine.if you have the X IMO you put in the finest quality controller you can get. (aem-motec,whatever.the vtec afc does not work correctly on our cars (strange but true to be sure) and the road is no place to tune it so better think about a large block of dyno time.so to sum it up,if you dont care about changing vtec and with n20 that would be dumb YOU can install and tune the s-afc. the instructions are ambiguous so you need to know your car well and it should serve some function beyond tweaking out the curve for a few extra pony's.

I recently read a thread about a guy wanting to use it for his S/C (I would not) but he was thinking along the right line just not the right product.the car is very very picky about piggyback units (do a search on that it will put the fear of god in you).

SUM UP: can it be done-for sure excluding the V-TEC model (just too bizarre).BTW I believe that the V-AFC is the only controller listed as an application for ther NSX!

Why: to control a mod to the engine NOT to squeeze water out of a rock if you get my drift (no stock motor) but to control say N20 or something else of a power adding nature to include injectors,low power S/C'S so forth.

Cost of unit: by the time your done dialing in your cost effective unit with the dyno time and labor it will dawn on you that the key is stand alone !!
Case in point, we 'had’ a member on the board that used the S-AFC to control a 150 shot of spray, his motor lasted about six months before rebuild time. So read up and consider all your options and go for it! Just make sure their is a verifiable reference of success with the unit you choice as well as HP, sensors and other growth extensibility. ALL THIS IS IMHO. Good luck with the project!!

Back