• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Integrated antenna

Electric antenna gave up and new ones are expensive. I don't really like the fixed shortie look. Has anyone done a windshield integrated antenna successfully?

-greg

I have a powered stick-on style window antenna on another car and it works just fine. Be aware that the NSX already has two antennas. The retractable mast antenna and an antenna built into the rear hatch glass (don't ask me why). I disconnected the power signal to my retractable antenna a couple of years ago because I was tired of cleaning and lubricating it and discovered that it was unnecessary. The rear hatch antenna works just fine for local FM stations and passable for AM. Not very good if the FM stations are any distance. If you regularly listen to the radio outside of urban settings, then you may want the amplified stick-on style antenna.

Give it a try before going for an add on antenna.

Follow-up question here. I have a shark attack (I think - but lets just call it an aftermarket) antenna.

There is a power line to it. I have not powered it up. I am hesitant to do so because if the antenna is not grounded properly, I am sending power through the body, looking for a ground or end point. Which strikes me as asking for trouble.

Am I looking at this wrong?

Last edited:
Follow-up question here. I have a shark attack (I think - but lets just call it an aftermarket) antenna.

There is a power line to it. I have not powered it up. I am hesitant to do so because if the antenna is not grounded properly, I am sending power through the body, looking for a ground or end point. Which strikes me as asking for trouble.

Am I looking at this wrong?

The shark attack appears to establish the power ground through the mounting bolt. This is a poor design and could be a problem since the paint and corrosion protection on the body may impair the electrical connection (which you could solve by scratching the paint off - bad idea!). Easy to solve by slipping a wire under the mounting bolt. Best to use a really large lug connection if you can find one; but, a bare wire will work in a pinch although may eventually vibrate loose. Connect that wire to the black wire in the 4 pin connector to the original antenna. That black wire is the ground that the OEM antenna motor used so it should be an excellent ground connection.

Last edited:
Back