• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Interchangeable Parts

Hey all,

As our cars age, it becomes harder and harder to find OEM parts that are made for the NSX. I've been amazed at the discoveries and adaptation that this community has made to make parts from other cars work for ours. Here's the idea: let's have this one thread serve as a place where we can gather all that knowledge about interchangeable parts with a few qualifications:

The part needs to either:
1) be plug and play into the NSX or
2) have a purchase-able adaptor or kit that makes it work

And

It's not a well known aftermarket company (e.g. KWv3s to replace your suspension) or simply pitching your own product.

Please don't showcase your special builds or customizations on this thread unless you're ready to fabricate for the community. I'm a beginner with working on my car and with the NSX's increasing popularity, I think a thread that is dedicated to changes or part replacements that a beginner could purchase and replace would be great.

Here's a potential format for your response:

1. OEM part that I replaced (e.g. 91 ABS system)
2. Part that I replaced it with (e.g. S2000 ABS)
3. From where (Purchased part from )
4. Did the replacement require a modification? (Yes, purchased a wiring kit from Syndicate )
5. Any upsides and downsides? (Cost savings over NA2 upgrade but lost TCS)

Please give credit to whoever you learned about the swap from and link to any threads that help with understanding install or details.
[MENTION=3755]mod[/MENTION]s please feel free to move or edit this post as you see fit. I am excited to see the responses.

Thanks,
Asif

Last edited:
I don’t think it’s nearly as well known as kw so I’ll post up and this specific item we are currently working on 7 so it’s not something common but am very proud of the product overall and outcome.

1. OEM part that I replaced (all targa years top section)
2. Part that I replaced it with (NC Auto USA full carbon fiber removable targa top)
3. From where (We made it)
4. Did the replacement require a modification? (No )
5. Any upsides and downsides?

Upsides: Compared with oem this item is 40% lighter while taking weight away from the highest part of the car helps the most and also when removing the top it’s a lot easier. This is the outter skin and you’re oem latches and other misc items will be transferred over which bolt right up due to engineering of the mold design. Full carbon fiber like always and made in the USA so quality is top notch, never outsourced. Price is extremely reasonable if you actually know what goes into products $2000 plus shipping.

Downsides: You may not like carbon fiber. You need to transfer over your oem latches and trim or buy a donor top. If you’re just hearing about this now you missed the Christmas group buy.

AB276428-6754-4DB4-9E25-C82DB9475A6E.jpeg

AD8520EB-331C-476B-AC51-AB9D19D63E2B.jpeg

E0C3BBF3-DD36-4C2E-A30B-5426FFDEA470.jpg

CD423C70-4C2F-449F-873F-CB359CDA900B.jpg

1. flasher relay
2. prelude flasher relay
3. ebay
4. nope
5. Used flasher relays from an nsx are pretty expensive (as are new) however prelude flasher relays are cheap and plentiful,
the downside is there is no plastic retaining clip, so its just held in with the electrical contacts. I have switched back to my OEM one as i only needed to test something with a modified relay. However it functioned exactly as the NSX one in all conditions.

1. flasher relay
2. prelude flasher relay
3. ebay
4. nope
5. Used flasher relays from an nsx are pretty expensive (as are new) however prelude flasher relays are cheap and plentiful,
the downside is there is no plastic retaining clip, so its just held in with the electrical contacts. I have switched back to my OEM one as i only needed to test something with a modified relay. However it functioned exactly as the NSX one in all conditions.

curious which generation/year prelude?

curious which generation/year prelude?

not 100% as it was a while ago but pretty sure its the FX257HK (printed on the body) which I think is 92 - 96

its the 6 pin one and all the spec is printed on the front which matches the spec printed on the NSX relay.

I don't have all the info but I'll do the best I can:

1. OEM part that I replaced - 1991 Fuel Pump Resistor. 1991 spec was for 0.73 OHM
2. Part that I replaced it with - later model OEM Fuel Pump Resistor. Newer part spec is 0.55 OHM. Old part was Denso # 196171-0080. New part is 196171-0082. 0080 is no longer available.
3. From where - Oh, hell, I can't remember (sorry, this post is not as useful as it could be.)
4. Did the replacement require a modification? No, was a direct bolt-in
5. Any upsides and downsides? Fixed mid-RPM-range hesitation. Fuel pump likely runs at high volume more often than it used to with the original resistor but should not be a problem per everything I read and those I reached out to. See thread: http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/207719-Fuel-Pump-Resistor-0-73-vs-0-55-ohm

Last edited:
Maybe a lame post but there was a part number conversion method where you could buy a part number, say for a Legend, but if you switched a portion of the number it would be an equivalent (same) part for an NSX.
Maybe some wise soul - or more lazy than me - could point this thread out.
This may be better for fasteners, and small stuff, but I recall there was a cost difference in the two part numbers.
Good luck on posts to this thread.

1. OEM part that I replaced: Clutch master and slave cylinder
2. Part that I replaced it with: Centric branded master and slave cylinder
3. Purchased part from: Rockauto
4. Did the replacement require a modification? No
5. Any upsides and downsides? None, the part is identical to OEM. Honda sourced the master and slave cylinders from Nissin and Adler respectively, the Centric branded parts are made by Nissin and Adler as well.

Not a replacement part, but the AC condenser fans are $250 from Acura and not always available. Instead of buying them they can be repaired by replacing the brushes. This thread contains part numbers for the brushes, the rebuild procedure, as well as a vendor who can rebuild them for you for about $150.

Thread-
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/208341-AC-Condenser-fan-rebuild

1. Left and Right AC Condenser fans

2. Can be rebuilt with brushes for $6 each instead of spending $250 each
3. Order the brushes online, may also be available at hardware stores
4. No modifications necessary
5. None so far-they're working great.

If you need to replace the rear center speaker, it's part#39129-SL0-003. In my case the capacitor was leaking and causes a squeal.

It's the same part used by the MDX and you can find used ones on eBay for ~ $30 shipped

1. OEM part that I replaced is the rear center speaker
2. Part that I replaced it with is from an MDX
3. Purchased from eBay
4. Did the replacement require a modification? No
5. Any upsides and downsides? None

MDX on the left, NSX on the right
IMG_20190205_183624.jpg

Even the Plug is the same. MDX on Left, NSX on Right
IMG_20190205_183728.jpg

Great fine guys. Never would have thought anyone would do a center speaker like that again and was about to go aftermarket. Thanks. Any others? Keep em coming!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

What about clips and screws? Fender clips, door clips, screws can go bad after years and it'd be great to replace them and refresh the tight seals on the car. Anyone have bulk buy purchase links or replacement parts from a different vehicle?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

the side skirt clips can be reused/shared from an early model civic. i forgot where the thread/link was, but basically you can buy a bag for cheap on ebay instead of buying nsx clips from the dealer.

Replacement Bose Door speakers

The 1 ohm Bose speakers in the NSX door and floor units are actually the same as Those in Bose 901 and 802 series Speakers and can be cheaply sourced from several stereo parts stores online.

Last edited:
Love this thread. Hopefully it gets more robust as time moves on. I am currently looking for headlight bracket and bumper bracket parts that are super hard to find.

Is there an interchangeable Honda/Acura part for these MIA parts?
IMG_1022.jpeg

Those are just 30mm plugs that are easily available, part 95550-30000.

IIRC NSXs did not include those middle plugs from the factory but people put them in pretty often.
Correct part number and used on a whole pile of Honda / Acura cars (about 200 different models) from 1991 to at least 2021.

Certainly the later model first gen NSXs had the plugs in place from the factory. My 2000 had one on one side and was missing the other side. I think they go AWOL because if you happen to press on the plastic cowl it flexes down and the shock mounting bolt presses up on the plug popping it loose. I apply a little bead of silicone seal around the inside lip of the plug before inserting. Reduces (does not eliminate) the risk of the plug popping out if you happen to flex the cowl when doing work in the front of the car.

Replacement Bose Door speakers

The 1 ohm Bose speakers in the NSX door and floor units are actually the same as Those in Bose 901 and 802 series Speakers and can be cheaply sourced from several stereo parts stores online.
Can you tell me more about this? Do you mean they are a physical fit plus the same resistance (1 ohm) or that they are identical in all ways including sound reproduction?

It looks like the 901 home theater speakers were originally released in 1968. It seems odd that Bose would be using the same driver 30 years later for an automotive product...

Back