• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Interesting cause of Clutch Chatter

Hi guys

Wanted to add "Failing Clutch Master Cylinder" to the list of reasons why the NSX clutch can chatter.
My '92 has 249,000 miles on it and just had its second clutch replacement. 1st went at 92k, 2nd started to slip after 225k and was replaced with just a bit of wear on the plate springs when I did the 6-speed upgrade.
With a relatively low mileage clutch, I was surprised at the amount of clutch chatter I was getting starting out from stops for the last 5k miles. I have NEVER had any amount of clutch chatter on the OEM clutches before, so this bugged me.
I phoned Ramon at Niguel Motors, and he told me he lubricated the release bearing guide when he replaced the clutch 10k miles ago, so that seemed unusual that dust buildup on this part as listed on the wiki was the cause.
Well, last month, the clutch pedal went to the floor and would only come up if you lifted it manually. Using the wiki, I diagnosed a failed clutch master cylinder and ordered the parts from acuraoemparts.com.

After replacing the clutch master/slave cylinders as well as the rubber tubing (it was shot after 22 years), the clutch chatter has completely vanished. FWIW.

John

Back