• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

iPad in console

I forget who it was, but someone moved their ccu to the armrest.

I think that's kind of cool and I did happen to see this thread myself, however, was personally hoping for a relocation that would allow either passenger or driver to access the CCU in a neutral location, hence, why I was considering a roof mounted solution, kind of near where that dome light currently is/ just aft of it so it would be right above the rear view mirror.

Has anyone seen anything cool looking in terms of other alternatives for its relocation?

I'm personally very intrigued about how cool it is to be able to navigate using google maps (that has satellite imagery of what you're actually driving through), and how updateable the iPad actually is in terms of getting up to date information on roads and such. I've had to update firmware/software numerous times on other double din navs and it gets expensive to keep having to get newer units every time the company stops supporting old technology (as was the case with every clarion system I've owned).

Very long post I know, thanks for reading!

-Dan

Last edited:
Lately it has really been bothering me that my Droid is so much more versitile than any of my car stereos. I have paid thousands of dollars for my sound system with nav only to end up unimpressed and turning to my phone for a better navigation experience. I can't wait for the Android based tablets to come out. I think that disk media is dying (other than BR and gaming - for now) and don't see the need for a giant box to be placed in the dash. The only thing better would be a "app" to replace Climate Control.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Lately it has really been bothering me that my Droid is so much more versitile than any of my car stereos. I have paid thousands of dollars for my sound system with nav only to end up unimpressed and turning to my phone for a better navigation experience.

+1 on that. The google maps on the Droid are awesome. The only thing I use my old naviagtion for is to see how fast Im driving in my truck (lifted 8" with 35's... kinda throws the speedometer off...)

Lately it has really been bothering me that my Droid is so much more versitile than any of my car stereos. I have paid thousands of dollars for my sound system with nav only to end up unimpressed and turning to my phone for a better navigation experience. I can't wait for the Android based tablets to come out. I think that disk media is dying (other than BR and gaming - for now) and don't see the need for a giant box to be placed in the dash. The only thing better would be a "app" to replace Climate Control.

I agree with how these latest leaps in mobile computing technology are actually outpacing car audio/video applications. Unless these double-din units are going to be android (or equivalent) powered in the future, I really don't see how they'll be able to compete against being replaced sometime in the future short of being connected to the other components within your car: amplifier, speakers, etc.

what about those NETBOOKS, from asus, or HP with the intel Atom, you would need to disasemble and get the screen off the keyboard, but you could extend the wires, and have the screen under the AC, and the keyboard where the ashtray is. I have an idea, these things are only like 300 bucks, and ripping one apart wouldnt be that hard. 500Gig HD, its not touchscreen but hell it might look good, has the touchpad for the mouse

That may be a really cool idea, but I'm honestly kind of upset with the sometimes limited performance of the netbooks. I have an acer aspire one with an intel atom, and it kind of bothers me sometimes as to how it may be performing as compared to a fullblown laptop.

Anyway, has anyone still seen other alternative means of relocating the CCU besides the armrest/glovebox in the center console?

Like I said in an earlier post, I was hoping to have it in a location accessible to either driver or passenger, and perhaps in the space right above the rear view mirror maybe?

-Daniel

Hmmmmmmm.........
GALAXY_Tab_%28P1000%29_Product_image_%281%29_1_540x688.jpg

I just held my slightly smaller iPad 2 in front of my console, and it ALMOST fits! The bottom edges extend just about 2-3mm on each side if held all the way down to the bottom of the ashtray. It COULD fit if mounted high enough to cover the air vents, which I've always found to be ugly anyway.

Now only if someone here could miraculously create a custom mount, and, a program and box that could control the air con. :biggrin:

It most certainly makes the cabin look modern like that of the Porsche 918 or Mclaren MP4. Perhaps a Mac mini and custom touch panel would be the way to go now, but auto-dim (ooh) and iOS (ahh) I'll keep dreaming for now.

- T

I think a lot of us were / are in the same general train of thought so I decided to tip my hand a little early.

I am a big apple guy and was fascinated by the idea of a touch screen in dash that could be updated and modified, since all GPS's (including the OEM ones) feel 1/2 baked and never seem to receive free / any updates.

It didn't have to look "stock" but it had to be reversible meaning no cutting of hard to find pieces.

I love my iPad. I love my NSX. Easy enough...
A few issues:

- My iPad was WiFi only so it didn't have a GPS.

- There would have to be a large amount of modification to the center console, the most challenging (for me) being the need to relocate the vents.

- Try as I might I could not come up with a suitable option to control the CCU, harness + software + headaches.

- The Glare! I actually attached my iPad (don't ask) to the dash where I wanted it and tried to use it. Mind you, I live in Arizona and I think the inside of my nose got sunburned that day.

A bit dismayed I decided to bide my time and spend some money getting maintenance work done on the Car (thanks Jon @ Basch Acura). While I was there we got to talking and he showed me his new Droid Phone. I was so impressed with the stock navigation software on his phone I decided then and there that was what I needed in my car.

Enter the Galaxy Tab...

GalaxyTab1.jpg

I managed to snag an AT&T version of this Tab on craigslist for $200.

My original plan was to install the Galaxy tab in the Nav Pod (yes it fits) as it solves a lot of the issues I would have with the iPad. I knew I wanted to somehow "tether" my iPhone to it for data / Handsfree.

Wanting to get some time in with it (being my first android) before I encased it in plastic, I ordered the car mount for it and began my testing or "playing" as my wife calls it.

Things I learned:

- A new, and currently shipping device is being sold 2 major OS updates behind with no plans for an update.

- A few of the features I wanted were only available in the newest OS.

- Google Maps makes for an amazing Navigation Software. The satellite view / live traffic / street view of the destination will blow your mind.

- Google Maps does not save the maps on your device so they are always up to date (as much as they can be at least).

- You have to have a live data connection to use google maps since it downloads them "on the fly".

- The navigation software completely mutes (which I found obnoxious) your music to give directions.

- Samsung did not see fit to add 3.5mm jack to the car mount so you would have to attach yet another cable to the Tab.

- There are times when you would want access to the power and volume buttons which would mean modification of the Nav Pod is required.

GalaxyTab2.jpg

None of those were really discouraging and I managed to come up with a solution to almost every issue.

I will do a proper write up once it's finished as I am still working on some software tweaks (still working on the Bluetooth HID Stack) for the Galaxy Tab and need to get back with Jon @ Basch Acura to have the bracket created, should have the project finished in the next 2 weeks.

Last edited:
What a detailed writeup!

I have a few questions:

- Are you planning it to be fixed in the navpod or removeable (for updates, uploading music, etc)?
- Do you think the position of the navpod is close enough to use the touch screen (imagine typing directions or navigating songs), or is there a trackpad/keyboard that might make more sense?
- If I decide to go and get a galaxy tab, which configuration should I get?
- Is there anyway to get video into the it, as in a reverse camera?

I look forward to your updates!

- Tai

After using the Samsung Car Mount, I have decided to adapt it to the car rather then cut up the $300 Nav Pod. At least for now.

The Nav Pod location is a bit far for large amounts of typing, however the Galaxy Tab has a feature like "Sync" that will let you give voice commands "Navigate to..." "Play (song)" etc. In my time with it I'd say it's correct 3/4 times, which is decent considering the engine noise.

I have used 2 different bluetooth keyboards with it and don't see any reason you couldn't grab one and throw it in the glovebox/armrest.

The main reason for the Nav Pod location is so you can put the screen almost vertical. There is a reason the stock CCU and Radio are built that way, it is almost impossible to read most screens in direct sunlight. The Tab has a glass screen which will blind you, and the matte screens just become unreadable. You don't want to mount a double din (OEM or Aftermarket) at the angle of the dash to make it look pretty, unless you only drive at night or live somewhere that doesn't see a lot of sun.

I have played with getting video for a backup camera onto it. The best solution I have so far is to use a wifi camera. I have one here that I've played with, but it will require more work then I have time right now (maybe once this is said and done and I redo my windows).

My favorite feature is one I can't even use in my car. If you've ever seen the HKS Camp System and been jealous...
http://torque-bhp.com/
For cars 95+ all you need is a $40 bluetooth OBDII sensor and you have full access to your engine stats, mpg, torque etc. I've been using one on the Odyssey for testing and I have to say I am considering buying another Tab just to watch the gages.

As far as which one to get, that's up to you. I personally went with the cheapest one I could find (AT&T model $200 on craigslist). Pick the carrier you'd want to get a data plan though, unless you intend to tether it to your phones data plan like I do.

When all said and done I should have around $600 into the project. It'll be fully reversible (not counting the coin tray). And have more features then the OEM and Aftermarket units. Not bad for a "Budget Build".

Now if only I can find the "KIT" voice for the navigation commands...

Last edited:
I can't find those anywhere near $200 !

Last edited:
It was listed for $350, talked him down to $200. They are all over the place out here listed at $300 - $350. If you don't mind a contract you can get one at T-Mobile for $250 or Verizon for $200.

Last edited:
The ipad is rather simple and easy but it's limited in the software compared to a full computer. I am in the process of installing a carpc based on windows xp with a 7" touchscreen. I think something like that would be more practical than an ipad, certainly more powerful.

I have done 2 carpc's at various times and while they were great back then, I fail to see how they are even still a viable choice with Android and iOS tablets becoming available. While it is great to tinker with, the platform became stale 3-4 years ago.

I will agree that a Car PC has the potential to do more but loading windows XP on anything that is running as a "low power" computer (atom or lvcore2) will feel sluggish compared to either tablet offering.

I'm not really sure the iPad/Android Tab are limited on either software or power. Instant on, 1000's of apps, size, built in battery/compass/gps/cellular data and the ability to remove it and take it with you. Add to that the much easier installation (due to all hardware being in the screen), Not to mention the entire experience was designed for touch screens (some of the better windows GPS applications are painful to use a touchscreen with).

What specifically were you looking to do that iOS/Android is not capable of?

As a side note, someone requested a pic of my earlier iPad exploits.
iPad.jpg

I have done 2 carpc's at various times and while they were great back then, I fail to see how they are even still a viable choice with Android and iOS tablets becoming available. While it is great to tinker with, the platform became stale 3-4 years ago.

I will agree that a Car PC has the potential to do more but loading windows XP on anything that is running as a "low power" computer (atom or lvcore2) will feel sluggish compared to either tablet offering.

I'm not really sure the iPad/Android Tab are limited on either software or power. Instant on, 1000's of apps, size, built in battery/compass/gps/cellular data and the ability to remove it and take it with you. Add to that the much easier installation (due to all hardware being in the screen), Not to mention the entire experience was designed for touch screens (some of the better windows GPS applications are painful to use a touchscreen with).

What specifically were you looking to do that iOS/Android is not capable of?

As a side note, someone requested a pic of my earlier iPad exploits.
iPad.jpg

I like where this is going. definitely a custom job with fiberglass and what not. Keep up posted on everything!

Sadly I decided not to go that direction. I was able to find a suitable location for everything but the vents, and living in Arizona without vents is not an option.

I have also decided that Android seems to make a better choice for an in car setup due to the multiple launcher options (I'll post some pics in the full write up later this week) as well as the awesome built in nav system.

I may venture back to the actual custom dash option once I get ahold of a xoom or galaxy tab 10 inch.

Back