• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

iphones, ipads, gauges, screens, radar... my latest research and my instal in the NSX

OK please post on this thread and let us know how it goes. The issue I have doing that is that the navpod is too far to reach comfortable. If you have a hand on the shifter and just want to turn the music up or down, it's a reach.

As far as Torque or Dash Command, I don't know... let me know what you find out. Both seem interesting. For those wondering what we are talking about... Torque and dash command are two different kinds of software you download into your phone that will show you engine parameters.

I would actually consider doing a tablet up top to handle the PLX gauges and letting the phone handle music lower down. Have you considered this? You can tether the phone and tablet. (tethering for those that don't know, is allowing one device to give an wifi signal to the other. In this case, the phone accesses the internet, and works as a hot spot for the tablet).

What is the cost of an HKS CAMP2? I think this will do a much better job and cost less. Nevermind what else the tablet can do.

I already have the SOS Stage II Sound System and Pioneer Double Din Nav Unit down below that I use for music. I mainly wanted a cool LCD screen just to display engine parameters. I looked into the HKS Camp, but total cost with all sensors is about $1,500 vs. The Samsung Galaxy Tab that can do so much more.

I'll have bluetooth on the Tab, Pioneer Headunit and my HTC Evo. I guess I can interlink them all together? I'm new to the bluetooth world and what it can and cannot do.

What I like about the Dash Command is all the different gauge skins, specifically the GTR Skin. Looks really nice.

I already have the SOS Stage II Sound System and Pioneer Double Din Nav Unit down below that I use for music. I mainly wanted a cool LCD screen just to display engine parameters. I looked into the HKS Camp, but total cost with all sensors is about $1,500 vs. The Samsung Galaxy Tab that can do so much more.

I'll have bluetooth on the Tab, Pioneer Headunit and my HTC Evo. I guess I can interlink them all together? I'm new to the bluetooth world and what it can and cannot do.

What I like about the Dash Command is all the different gauge skins, specifically the GTR Skin. Looks really nice.

OK then yeah I totally agree with your move here, to use the tab as a gauge display it should be excellent and dash command has neat stuff. But then so does torque. I think what I would look for is more legibility and not so much cool looking. I would absolutely use the KIWI unit that allows the use of external sensors, just having the OBDII parameters doesn't tell you that much... unless you are just doing this for a cool factor. I track so I need real data.

Bluetooth is just a wireless protocal that allows communication between your different bluetooth devices. Like a local area network at home that lets your router, computers, printers, to talk. But bluetooth is a 20-30 ft range and has some other features. Anyway what you want to do is get the option from your cell provider that will allow you to "tether" the Galaxy Tablet to your android phone so they both have internet access. There are some hacks that may allow you to get this free. I'd just pay it. With 5 gig and above data plans its free. I find even with all my streaming I use no more than 2 gig of data a month.

This is the death of the HKS CAMP. I bet your setup will work better. What do you need acess to the ports for? what ports?

The days of storing your music is going away. Stop clinging to the past with both hands man... let it go... lol... it'll be allright... :tongue:

I hear you, but I think it's a good idea to cling to your data with at least one hand. :wink: Requiring a cellular network to make your car stereo operational sounds like a recipe for frustration.

I hear you, but I think it's a good idea to cling to your data with at least one hand. :wink: Requiring a cellular network to make your car stereo operational sounds like a recipe for frustration.

Well I have used my phone exclusively for 1.5 years now with no issues at all. With my car radio, I drive away a bit and lose reception. I switch to my local radio through my cell network, and its crystal clear. I can tell you with radio at least, my cell network is MORE reliable.

As for your music... OK... so lets say you want a new song and its not in your collection. Lets say you want access to your collection and you are on a trip and your collection is at home. Your PC is off. Lets say you go to a party, a friend has a computer, and you want to play YOUR playlist.

Do you see the benefits of having your music and playlists in a cloud than on a device?

Imagine if you use email, gmail, yahoo, hotmail. Imagine if all that only resided on one computer. And you go some place with a PC, not yours, and you have no access to your mail. Its the same with music. The conveniences are many.

I am not saying storing things is bad, I think you need a combination of both. But you have to see where things are headed. Record labels prefer you not OWN that music. In order to do that, they are willing to do a lot... let you access really cheap. If Michigan has bought those 22K songs, he has spent 22-28 THOUSAND DOLLARS on that music. A subscription to a service is $10/month with full features. In a year, that is $120. 10 years is $1200. That's a far cry from $22,000.

He doesn't have a cell phone (I find this really hard to believe), so for him it makes sense but there aren't too many people like that.

I agree, I want true numbers and without a delay. But, I also have a AEM Wideband and AEM Boost controller for a true reading.

My Evo is rooted so I can setup a wireless hotspot or tether, so I'm good there. What is this KIWI you keep mentioning?

By ports, I mean the Power Button, Volume Button and Charging Port.

OK then yeah I totally agree with your move here, to use the tab as a gauge display it should be excellent and dash command has neat stuff. But then so does torque. I think what I would look for is more legibility and not so much cool looking. I would absolutely use the KIWI unit that allows the use of external sensors, just having the OBDII parameters doesn't tell you that much... unless you are just doing this for a cool factor. I track so I need real data.

Bluetooth is just a wireless protocal that allows communication between your different bluetooth devices. Like a local area network at home that lets your router, computers, printers, to talk. But bluetooth is a 20-30 ft range and has some other features. Anyway what you want to do is get the option from your cell provider that will allow you to "tether" the Galaxy Tablet to your android phone so they both have internet access. There are some hacks that may allow you to get this free. I'd just pay it. With 5 gig and above data plans its free. I find even with all my streaming I use no more than 2 gig of data a month.

This is the death of the HKS CAMP. I bet your setup will work better. What do you need acess to the ports for? what ports?

Last edited:
I agree, I want true numbers and without a delay. But, I also have a AEM Wideband and AEM Boost controller for a true reading.

My Evo is rooted so I can setup a wireless hotspot or tether, so I'm good there. What is this KIWI you keep mentioning?

By ports, I mean the Power Button, Volume Button and Charging Port.

Never thought of the power issue. There must be a way to control this from the front. Have you looked for a hack or app that does this? What are the car ipad guys doing? Volume you can do from the display. Charging port... make it permanent. what do you need access for? So the only issue is power up and down. Let me know what you come up with. I will search too.

Kiwi is the blutooth module that is made by PLX devices (gauge maker) that interfaces the phone with the OBDII port through bluetooth. Dashcommand and Torque are just apps that give you the display. There are two KIWI units, one that just gives you OBDII data, and one that has a port for external sensor data (which is then sent via bluetooth to your tab). I prefer a hardwire unit if there is one, but I haven't seen one. Bluetooth is just one more thing to lose sync.

Kiwi is the box to the left that attaches to the OBDII port and send bluetooth data. Sensor module to the right. You can daisy chain 20+ sensors.

kiwi_wifi_+imfd_sm.jpg

BTW delay is an OBDII port issue. Sensors have no delay. I don't find much use for what the OBDII port provides anyway. It's nice to have but none are track critical.

Dump the AEM gauges, you won't need them once this is up.

Yawwn thanks for the PM, I forgot to reply to you but I will definitely let you know if I need anything. Hopefully I'l meet you soon I plan to be your way visiting in January.

As far as this app... I'm not sure what the purpose is, I mean my iphone is sync'ed to my computer so there is no music there that isn't on my phone already. I suppose someone not using itunes with a seperate hard drive for music could use this.

What do you use it for?

Hi TURBO2GO,
No worries about the PM. It will be great to meet you when you are out here.

I guess the benefit of the Pogoplug is that you can stream your movies to your iPhone or iPad, since your iPhone is limited to a max of 64GB. For instance, I have a 2TB computer at home that I can stream any of my 200 movies to my iPhone or iPad that is not limited to the iPhone memory capacity, and without waiting a long time for the iPhone to complete syncing, should I decide to change what movies I want on the phone.

Hi TURBO2GO,
No worries about the PM. It will be great to meet you when you are out here.

I guess the benefit of the Pogoplug is that you can stream your movies to your iPhone or iPad, since your iPhone is limited to a max of 64GB. For instance, I have a 2TB computer at home that I can stream any of my 200 movies to my iPhone or iPad that is not limited to the iPhone memory capacity, and without waiting a long time for the iPhone to complete syncing, should I decide to change what movies I want on the phone.

Oh, movies! I thought you meant music. Well helpful to stream to the phone I guess if you are bored at the airport or dentist office... obviously not helpful for driving.

He doesn't have a cell phone (I find this really hard to believe)...
Believe it!

...so for him it makes sense but there aren't too many people like that.
Yep - I'm unique!:biggrin:

Which is why I commented that your posts and research are interesting and entertaining. I know you weren't writing for the likes of me. :)

Got my Galaxy today and rooted it. It fits great in the Navpod, I just need to figure out a way to mount it in there. I really don't want to gob it up with silicone like most do with the alpine.

Got my Galaxy today and rooted it. It fits great in the Navpod, I just need to figure out a way to mount it in there. I really don't want to gob it up with silicone like most do with the alpine.

Watch this. I am not sure if something similar exists for Android but on the ipad it is figured out:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/h0w5mPPZUGM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

A couple of other things... the 7.7 tab has IR out capability. That can easily do a boatload of things. Hooked up with some simple devices it can control anything Via relay... climate, windows, lights, security, whatever. Also the cam should be great for track videos. The Navpod is going to bury the cam but you may be able to actually make a "window" for it.

Nice job! Say, what iphone mount is that that clips to the vent? Do you like it?
Thanks

Clips to the vent? I don't understand your question. You mean the O'dock?

Oxygen-Audio-Announce-O-Dock-02.jpg

I'm actually thinking this may work well with an A-pillar installation... leaving the factory radio in place for those that wish to keep it, but taking over all the duties essentially. Much better solution that USA-Spec and GROM adaptors...

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:TrackMoves/> <w:TrackFormatting/> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:DoNotPromoteQF/> <w:LidThemeOther>EN-US</w:LidThemeOther> <w:LidThemeAsian>X-NONE</w:LidThemeAsian> <w:LidThemeComplexScript>X-NONE</w:LidThemeComplexScript> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> <w:SplitPgBreakAndParaMark/> <w:DontVertAlignCellWithSp/> <w:DontBreakConstrainedForcedTables/> <w:DontVertAlignInTxbx/> <w:Word11KerningPairs/> <w:CachedColBalance/> </w:Compatibility> <w:DoNotOptimizeForBrowser/> <m:mathPr> <m:mathFont m:val="Cambria Math"/> <m:brkBin m:val="before"/> <m:brkBinSub m:val="--"/> <m:smallFrac m:val="off"/> <m:dispDef/> <m:lMargin m:val="0"/> <m:rMargin m:val="0"/> <m:defJc m:val="centerGroup"/> <m:wrapIndent m:val="1440"/> <m:intLim m:val="subSup"/> <m:naryLim m:val="undOvr"/> </m:mathPr></w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" DefUnhideWhenUsed="true" DefSemiHidden="true" DefQFormat="false" DefPriority="99" LatentStyleCount="267"> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="0" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Normal"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="heading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="35" QFormat="true" Name="caption"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="10" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Title"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" Name="Default Paragraph Font"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="11" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtitle"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="22" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Strong"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="20" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="59" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Table Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Placeholder Text"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="No Spacing"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Revision"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="34" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="List Paragraph"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="29" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Quote"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="30" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Quote"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="19" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="21" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="31" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="32" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="33" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Book Title"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="37" Name="Bibliography"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" QFormat="true" Name="TOC Heading"/> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;} </style> <![endif]--> Turbo, I am basically trying achieve similar to want you are doing.

- Lost weight without sacrificing much, perhaps gain more.
- Eliminate OEM HU, OEM Amp-Speakers & Sub
- Add Type R delete plate or similar
- Nice set of component speakers, maybe a sub under foot-well
- Good amp to power everything, relatively small
- Auto on/off amp
- Volume knob
- Smartphone
- Phone Clip that look OEM

My questions are:

1) Is the Iphone the best in what I am trying to achieve? What makes your choose the Iphone over like Galaxy S2 for this car task?

My car is OBDI so cannot read car data. I am finally going to give the Iphone a try tomorrow after not wanting one for so long because I am some what a tech geek and like to customize things.(Don't know if that’s a good explanation) As a phone, Iphone does that job really well. And that it has so much support.

2) What Clip is best for the Iphone?

Is the O-Car one the best from your research? I want to locate it right in front of the delete plate, where the radio use to be in my case. Perhap, a custom one?

3) Since my Car is OBDI, that means I cannot benefit from the PLX for engine data correct?

Turbo, I am basically trying achieve similar to want you are doing.

- Lost weight without sacrificing much, perhaps gain more.
- Eliminate OEM HU, OEM Amp-Speakers & Sub
- Add Type R delete plate or similar
- Nice set of component speakers, maybe a sub under foot-well
- Good amp to power everything, relatively small
- Auto on/off amp
- Volume knob
- Smartphone
- Phone Clip that look OEM

My questions are:

1) Is the Iphone the best in what I am trying to achieve? What makes your choose the Iphone over like Galaxy S2 for this car task?

My car is OBDI so cannot read car data. I am finally going to give the Iphone a try tomorrow after not wanting one for so long because I am some what a tech geek and like to customize things.(Don't know if that’s a good explanation) As a phone, Iphone does that job really well. And that it has so much support.

2) What Clip is best for the Iphone?

Is the O-Car one the best from your research? I want to locate it right in front of the delete plate, where the radio use to be in my case. Perhap, a custom one?

3) Since my Car is OBDI, that means I cannot benefit from the PLX for engine data correct?

A tablet has certain advantages like a bigger screen, but it isn't a phone. Part of my whole issue was that I won't want to create this whole thing, then have all these cords and holder seperately for my phone. Using your phone is the best to me because that part is already integrated. EAC's concentration is on gauges, so for that purpose being the main purpose, the nav pod gives you the best line of sight and so he is doing a tablet.

I don't think the navpod is a good location however for radio or phone or any other controls as it is out of reach. You have to see what is important and make compromises. You can use the phone down low and have a screen in he navpod show what the phone does with the Oxygen Audio gear as it gives you a video out. In that scenario, the display in the navpod is just a cheap display, not a touchscreen.

I've played with a lot of phones and I know some like android and some like apple, and each has their benefits. I don't want to get into that argument, depends on what things are more important to you. I personally think the best phone now is the 4S.

As for a clip best for the phone, I would say the O'dock. The tomtom clip is good too, but if you turn the phone vertical or horizontal, the wires for audio out turn too. That's a mess. Only the Oxygen Audio lets you turn like that cleanly, and that turning is important as some apps just won't work landscape mode. Also the tomtom clip sends nav data out the speaker built into it, and not the audio out.

I was going to do the same thing you were, blank plate and a clip where the plate is. But the O'car is actually quite light, and having a clip stick out is not very nice looking. I am looking at other locations like the pillar pod. I want a neat look. I think the best thing is to center the O'car, between the top din and bottom din. The sos bracket lets you do this, but you have to deal with the center console. The center console issue is a real pain. If the A pillar looks good, is within reach, and I can blank plate the radio, I will do that and install the O car in my other car.

PLX will easily work on OBDI, if you use seperate sensors. Which is what you want anyway. Things like AFR, AIT, fuel pressure, EGT, Oil temp, etc. are things the OBDII port does not provide at all or only within an NA range or with a delay. There is little USEFUL info that comes from the OBDII port IMO. Most people get it because it looks cool. Oooooh! engine parameters!! LOL.. I don't mean to put such devices down, they can be useful, but just not enough. So you could get a phone, a few sensors and the PLX Kiwi, and get all that gauge info on your phone... or even get a navpod with a monitor, and hookup the video out so you get to see it there.

The other option is to see where EAC gets to with the galaxy tab, use that as a seperate CAMP2 alternative, and use your phone for audio/nav/phone functions.

If you want to go light, get your amp now. JLXD400/4 or 600/6 at half off at crutchfield. If they are out, I have a 400/4 I was going to return I can give you. These have a seperate volume knob capability which will be very handy.

Remote on/off or "auto" on/off is not a big deal. There are solutions for that, don't let that affect your amp choice. The XD400/4 is VERY light. 4.5 pounds. I weighed them all, weights are not listed in specs.

I forgot to say... for gauges you can also forget a screen and use the PLX devices guages in the navpod. They are very thin... like less than 1". You can fit a few there. If you are using AEM, contact DDozier. He is the dealer for this brand Ryu and I were talking about, its very good. DashDaq. I just find its screen to be too small. We talked about it here:

http://nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152610

Last edited:
The problem with AEM is that they are too f'ng lazy to come out with a method for iOS or Android to read the signal; they want you to buy their Ronald McDonald gaudy gauges and turn your car into Rice O'Ronie. I've been perplexed for over a year as to why AEM is dragging their ass on this issue.

Dash command on ipad using PLX kiwi bluetooth module:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/849OKlxqkVg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thanks for the great info.

Will the JLAudio400/4 power Polk MM6501 reasonable well? plus a sub.

Crutchfield is for 399.00 no half price anymore?

Oxygen-Audio-Announce-O-Dock-02.jpg

I'm actually thinking this may work well with an A-pillar installation... leaving the factory radio in place for those that wish to keep it, but taking over all the duties essentially. Much better solution that USA-Spec and GROM adaptors...
For the factory head unit, you will still need either an amp or a USA-Spec to interface with this O-Dock. Nice item though.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zHDoeaImPiQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
Thanks for the great info.

Will the JLAudio400/4 power Polk MM6501 reasonable well? plus a sub.

Crutchfield is for 399.00 no half price anymore?

I'm sorry I meant half retail. They were B stock units. I think the 400/4 was $240 shipped. I have one I was going to send back as I bought a 400/4 and a 600/6 and I think am keeping the 600/6. They were factory refurbished, 2 year warranty, 60 day exchange. I can call and tell them when they get mine back to save for you, or just not send it back and send it to you with a copy of my receipt if you want. This is a crazy deal on a GREAT amp. You can run 2 channel into the polks if you have no sub, or run 3 channel (2 speakers and 2 bridged into a sub).

yeah those speakers are really good, the woofer is neo, its light, and this amp will drive them well. You can use the JL volume control if you decide to place it elsewhere (sold seperately) near you and decided to use a one-wire solution with no dock on your phone or use the volume as a bass knob to adjust the sub on the fly for that song... which works awesome. The volume can control the whole amp, or any channel on the amp. This is a rare, useful feature. It's also the lightest 4 channel class D amp there is. PM me if interested otherwise I will send it back. Smaller one in the pic. Look at my toothbrush on it, it is tiny.

JL.jpg

Last edited:
Want the best nav? watch this: Right now it's free:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/tGXK4jKN_jY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back