• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

iphones, ipads, gauges, screens, radar... my latest research and my instal in the NSX

Feedback is that the Boss unit is junk.

You need to be able to rotate the iphone. I just got back from a trip and started using my oxygen O'car again in my Honda (not the NSX). I really LOVE this thing. I put up with wires and chargers and this and that in a rental for a month. I am so relieved, this thing works TERRIFIC.

I don't know why more guys aren't buying this unit. For $300 it is one great unit.

Just curious, what exactly do you need to rotate the iPhone for if you're using it for music? I'm assuming you're NOT planning on watching videos while you drive...

Ok this is what I'm planning to do.

My original aftermarket set-up I tapped into the original speaker wire from the bose unit from the factory harness and the door speakers.

My first step is to buy another type of stereo honda harness and retap into the same wires I had before.

My next step is to run an ignition power supply line either from that harness if there is one or some other fuse to my amp to power it on.

After that I'm going to either run from my Iphone the headjack to my amp or the bottom portion of it. I guess which ever works is fine by me.

I'm going to run a single wire from my Iphone and then use Y connectors to plug into all 4 plugs on my 4/300 JL amp.

I'll try this in the next month or so and I'll post if it works.

Just curious, what exactly do you need to rotate the iPhone for if you're using it for music? I'm assuming you're NOT planning on watching videos while you drive...

There are many times when you want to rotate the phone to landscape mode. It workd better on nav apps, certain music apps, definitely on youtube (for music, you don't have to be watching it while driving), etc. Rotation of the phone is critical and might be one of the primary benefits of the O'car.

Any updates?

Not much from what I gathered, I wasn't there. They apparently showed a newer version of the O'car to debut in June with some minor upgrades like HD tuner built-in, and more functionality without the phone docked. Can't find anything on the dock. You can call aamp of america and see if they know anything. A bit dissapointing but that doesn't mean the dock won't just appear.

Ok this is what I'm planning to do.

My original aftermarket set-up I tapped into the original speaker wire from the bose unit from the factory harness and the door speakers.

My first step is to buy another type of stereo honda harness and retap into the same wires I had before.

My next step is to run an ignition power supply line either from that harness if there is one or some other fuse to my amp to power it on.

After that I'm going to either run from my Iphone the headjack to my amp or the bottom portion of it. I guess which ever works is fine by me.

I'm going to run a single wire from my Iphone and then use Y connectors to plug into all 4 plugs on my 4/300 JL amp.

I'll try this in the next month or so and I'll post if it works.

That'll work fine. Which amp do you have exactly?

Turbo, the O'car looks like a perfect solution to integrate the iphone into your vehicle. Thank you for your write ups on it.

But I'm unclear on why it would not work in the NSX without custom dash modifications. Is the unit not single DIN? The Oxygen Audio website does not mention DIN information as far as I could tell.

thanks,

Chris

Ahh, search is still my friend....

Apparently you need the SOS bracket and SOS console to make it work. But still, it is doable, will look great and you can keep your OEM console to refit it later it you want to go back to stock.

Other than the SOS bracket, are there any other fitment issues?

I'll take my answer off the air....

thanks,

Chris

There are many times when you want to rotate the phone to landscape mode. It workd better on nav apps, certain music apps, definitely on youtube (for music, you don't have to be watching it while driving), etc. Rotation of the phone is critical and might be one of the primary benefits of the O'car.

Not much from what I gathered, I wasn't there. They apparently showed a newer version of the O'car to debut in June with some minor upgrades like HD tuner built-in, and more functionality without the phone docked. Can't find anything on the dock. You can call aamp of america and see if they know anything. A bit dissapointing but that doesn't mean the dock won't just appear.

That'll work fine. Which amp do you have exactly?

I'm pretty sure I have this one http://www.woofersetc.com/p-245-3004-jl-audio-4-ch-amplifier.aspx

But I bought it about 3 years ago so I forget.

Ahh, search is still my friend....

Apparently you need the SOS bracket and SOS console to make it work. But still, it is doable, will look great and you can keep your OEM console to refit it later it you want to go back to stock.

Other than the SOS bracket, are there any other fitment issues?

I'll take my answer off the air....

thanks,

Chris

Chris no aftermarket radio will not fit without custom work on the center console. I haven't installed an o'car on the NSX yet bit source1 here has, and he used the SOS bracket and center console and it fit fine. It winds up fitting best between the top and bottom DIN spots, the SOS bracket allows you to do that. When you turn the phone right side up, it fits nicely at the right height.

I'll say it again... I use this radio EVERY day in my Element and despite a few flaws, I absolutely love the unit.

So what are you doing with the 4 channels?

If I remember correctly I bridged two channels to my sub woofer and the other two are running my speakers.

So I had 150 watts to the woofer and 75 each to each speaker I think.

Does that make sense? I don't have my amp near me so I can't really check it out. I think all I need to do is run a headphone jack from my Iphone to my amp and split it off into those 4 amp inlets for jacks that are red and black.

Last edited:
You don't need to split the signal in 3 channel mode. The amp will do it internally. Once you go in the fronts and set the rear to a bridged low pass mode, you are all set. So what's the speaker/sub setup going to be?

Well yeah. I have my speaker wires running from the outlets "4 wires" and I have the sub running from the other side, but it's only 1 sub so I have 2 wires from the outside so they're "bridged". If I were to just plug them into one side it wouldn't bridge I don't think and only run 75 watts to my amp instead of 150. I dunno, it's the same way I've had it for years and it hasn't blown yet...

I have some crap polk 6500 speakers and also this sub http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_info.php?products_id=106

Bought them both when I bought my amp years ago. Have my tweeters mounted with a simple L bracket inside my air vents.

Derailing my own thread here but that sub is a good sub. I completely didn't understand what you said in the beginning of your post, but a single wire going to the sub from the amp is enough. When you bridge an amp you hook up to the two positives instead of a positive and a negative, you flip the switch and you are done. You don't need two pairs of wires unless you have a dual voice coil sub.

Derailing my own thread here but that sub is a good sub. I completely didn't understand what you said in the beginning of your post, but a single wire going to the sub from the amp is enough. When you bridge an amp you hook up to the two positives instead of a positive and a negative, you flip the switch and you are done. You don't need two pairs of wires unless you have a dual voice coil sub.

Next week or so I'll get a picture and post it.

Yeah the sub has worked great for me since I bought it. The main reason I got it though was because when it was first released I think I paid 40 shipped or something really low like that.

I am currently installing the Oxygen Audio O'car in my NSX. For now, I'm going to let the internal amplifier drive a HERTZ HSK165 6,5 inch kit system (the same SoS use in their stage 2 audio system) :biggrin:

I'll get pics up as soon as I can.

I am currently installing the Oxygen Audio O'car in my NSX. For now, I'm going to let the internal amplifier drive a HERTZ HSK165 6,5 inch kit system (the same SoS use in their stage 2 audio system) :biggrin:

I'll get pics up as soon as I can.

I have this set up in my car. While it is very light and gets the job done as far as being able to listen to music the sound quality is sub par. I would install a small amp if I were you. It will help a lot I'm sure. I have yet to do it but plan to.

I have one in my Honda element, I did not install this in the NSX. At this point, I wouldn't buy one. The iPhone 5 and all newer generations use a new connector which renders this unit useless unless used with an older phone. An adaptor isn't going to allow the phone to fit.

Also, IMO, these door installations of pricey speakers is a waste of money. The speaker sits too far in, too recessed, the factory wiring isn't proper for a passive system in the doors, and there are serious time alignment issues you will have in this car. That is why I am doing all this experimenting in my own thread.

What I am saying is that you can get the same or better sound than installing any high end brand by a proper installation and sizing of drivers, by proper time alignment, Xover frequency specific to the the car, and proper amplification. All the door installs I have seen so far are a compromise.

I have this set up in my car. While it is very light and gets the job done as far as being able to listen to music the sound quality is sub par. I would install a small amp if I were you. It will help a lot I'm sure. I have yet to do it but plan to.

I've been driving around in my NSX for a year and a half without the possiblity of listening to music, so this is going to be a step up. I do plan on getting a proper amplifier and a subwoofer but not at this point. I have all the wiring done though...

Get back to me when you've installed and amp and let me know the difference!

I have one in my Honda element, I did not install this in the NSX. At this point, I wouldn't buy one. The iPhone 5 and all newer generations use a new connector which renders this unit useless unless used with an older phone. An adaptor isn't going to allow the phone to fit.

Also, IMO, these door installations of pricey speakers is a waste of money. The speaker sits too far in, too recessed, the factory wiring isn't proper for a passive system in the doors, and there are serious time alignment issues you will have in this car. That is why I am doing all this experimenting in my own thread.

What I am saying is that you can get the same or better sound than installing any high end brand by a proper installation and sizing of drivers, by proper time alignment, Xover frequency specific to the the car, and proper amplification. All the door installs I have seen so far are a compromise.

I agree, it is not worth getting the current version of the O'car if one plans on getting the Iphone 5 soon. I got the current version of the O'car since I have an Iphone 4S, which I do not intend to replace within the near future. And I got the O'car at 33 % discount :smile:

I do not use the factory wiring. I did a completely new wiring when I had my interior panels out. The tuning of the audio system to the acoustic properties of the NSX cabin however is something I'll have to work on when I have all the bits and pieces together. I'm going to read up on your thread to get some ideas.

I am not an audiophile looking for the best acoustic experience, I'm just merely interested in the possibility of being able to listen to music at all, especially for long drives. The O'car is exactly what I want for all the reasons you've mentioned in this thread. Radio is so 20th century :wink:

One thing that bothers me is that it is not possible to use an audio processor like the JBL MS-2 with the O'car for automatic tuning of sound properties...

I'll get back with pics and a small review when I'm done with the install!

Last edited:
You can certainly use the MS-2. Why not?

I have an MS-8 sitting here on my desk. I am going to use it to seriously do some experimenting in the nsx cabin and once I get a system tuned, I am going to switch it over to analog with the same settings and hopefully get very similar sound. That way we can have a true custom tuned system for the nsx that really works, sounds good, and doesn't cost a lot. Throwing a bunch of expensive parts into the car is just wasting money. Sound is all about configuration and placement. The thing everyone concentrates on are drivers, but you can get to the 96% performance for a fraction of the cost of 99%. There are a whole bunch of ills you can fix with proper placement, crossover, and EQ. the NSX cabin has some really good things about it and some really bad. No other car has glass 2" behind your head.

You can certainly use the MS-2. Why not?

I have an MS-8 sitting here on my desk. I am going to use it to seriously do some experimenting in the nsx cabin and once I get a system tuned, I am going to switch it over to analog with the same settings and hopefully get very similar sound. That way we can have a true custom tuned system for the nsx that really works, sounds good, and doesn't cost a lot. Throwing a bunch of expensive parts into the car is just wasting money. Sound is all about configuration and placement. The thing everyone concentrates on are drivers, but you can get to the 96% performance for a fraction of the cost of 99%. There are a whole bunch of ills you can fix with proper placement, crossover, and EQ. the NSX cabin has some really good things about it and some really bad. No other car has glass 2" behind your head.

I checked the different ways of connecting the MS-2 and it needs to be connected in between the Iphone and the O'car, connected to your Iphone via the 3,5 mm audio out, which is not available physically when your phone is inserted into the O'car. And the MS-2 needs to be powered via the cigarette lighter. A bunch of wires all around your cabin again...

Or have I gotten it all wrong?

I think I misunderstood your system. Are you using the internal o'car amp? If so, yes... You can't use ANY processor. But you can plug in the MS-2 in between the o'car and the amp. You'd need to Hardwire it to get rid of the wires. But... My unit freezes up once in a while, I think they have an issue so don't put it where you can't reboot it.

At this point I would not get this unit, it is discontinued. It was an amazing piece at $200, really people don't know how sophisticated that unit actually is.

Turbo brought up a good point.. This is useless when the new Iphone is released and I will have it. So I will be switching to a different radio at that point and adding a small amp for a little better sound.

I think I misunderstood your system. Are you using the internal o'car amp? If so, yes... You can't use ANY processor. But you can plug in the MS-2 in between the o'car and the amp. You'd need to Hardwire it to get rid of the wires. But... My unit freezes up once in a while, I think they have an issue so don't put it where you can't reboot it.

At this point I would not get this unit, it is discontinued. It was an amazing piece at $200, really people don't know how sophisticated that unit actually is.

Yes I'm using the internal amp, for now. When I get an amplifier that suits my future "needs", I will strongly consider getting some form of audio processor for calibration,be it an MS-2 (used?) or some other. It would in that case be hardwired as you say, because on of the points of getting the O'car is to get rid of all cables in the cabin.

Got everything installed last friday, here is a short review of the O'car for the NSX.

I hate listening to the radio. The commercial stations have like 10 songs on repeat, plus a lot of commercials. The government stations are boring. The O'car allows me to listen to my own playlists on Spotify from my Iphone, to listen to any song I want, whenever I want, without any cables hanging in the cabin :biggrin:

Reach for the iphone for changing songs/lists etc is perfect, but the iphone is a bit small, the Spotify app has small buttons.

But it does more. Turbo has already explained the benefits but here are some notable downsides:

*Audio quality over bluetooth is crap. Real crap. You can forget both SIRI and hands-free calling over bluetooth when cruising on a highway. It works ok though when standing still, with engine off. This is really disappointing since I was looking forward to use SIRI when driving.

*I can't play stream videos from youtube, my phone thinks I have connected it to a TV-system and tries to stream it to the external unit (can this be fixed?)

*The tuner app is crap. Badly animated and difficult to use. Changing to a new station takes forever so I recommend programming favorites.

*Design of the head unit is ok, but it protrudes out from the center console quite a bit, as you can see in the images. Not that important to me though...

I have only used it for a couple of days, I have some more testing to do and I'm looking forward to se how it performs when used with an external amp...

//Johan

Back