• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

iphones, ipads, gauges, screens, radar... my latest research and my instal in the NSX

Want the best nav? watch this: Right now it's free:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/tGXK4jKN_jY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

One thing I never liked about Google Maps is that it's internet based. So if you lose signal, your maps stop loading/updating. On my drive across the country from CA-NC I lost service in the middle of Texas, and my maps stopped updating. I much rather use TomTom where all the maps are preloaded on the phone and I still get location updates as long as I have a clear signal to the satellites.

One thing I never liked about Google Maps is that it's internet based. So if you lose signal, your maps stop loading/updating. On my drive across the country from CA-NC I lost service in the middle of Texas, and my maps stopped updating. I much rather use TomTom where all the maps are preloaded on the phone and I still get location updates as long as I have a clear signal to the satellites.

Are you talking about the tomtom unit or an app?

Update on this thread:

Been using the Oxygen O'car in my Honda Element for months now. I have some gripes. It is not perfect... but overall... you'd have to pry it out of my cold dead hands. I still love it. If the bugs are fixed, it is a near flawless solution. I'd buy another as IS, with its problems again.

$300, this thing eliminated all the wires in my DD car. It constantly charges my phone, and it places it at EXACTLY the right height and makes it easy to see and a breeze to type into. Yes, I once in a while hit SIRI on my iPhone4S and tell her to Text people. I simply talk, it types.

The ability to rotate the unit landscape or straight is perfect. The ability to angle it toward me is terrific. It makes it just right. When I park I watch youtube and HULU videos.

I did the Navigon app for $50 and another $20 to get instant traffic info and it works better than my super expensive stand alone navigation system. Turn by turn with street names read, it always instantluy knows where it is, and if sat signal is lost it switches to locating itself using cell tower triangulation. Every once in a while I get the "re-routing due to new traffic information". Sure enough as I am getting off the exit I see a jam in the far distance.

No worries on running multiple apps at the same time with my 4S, I can run pandora, my nav, and e-mail/text at the same time.

The flaws are: The bluetooth on the unit is fairly poor in sound quality. Not as good as just using the built-in speaker phone. I hooked up the attached microphone and it works OK, I can make calls, but its not all that clear. I just use the speakerphone in the phone itself instead and leave the bluetooth off.

At nights, if it is pitch black, you need to turn on the interior light to insert your phone into the unit. Having a light around the 32 pin connector would have been nice, but its not there. The radio app for it is SLOW as hell if you want to use it for tuning in stations. I don't use it much because I use iHeart Radio on my phone instead. I get more data, cover art, and the NAV can override the music. If you use the radio app, you use the unit's internal tuner... that overrides everything, and so your nav becomes silent. It's still a nice feature to have that secondary AM/FM terrestrial tuner, but I can live without it. It is nice if I don't happen to have my phone.. the unit still works, just tuned into the last station you left it on. Also when using the terrestrial tuner you have 16 presets so the fact that it tunes slow is not a big deal. It is a flaw that should be addressed, you swipe your finger on the tuner dial on the phone display 4 times and it goes from 90.3 to 90.7.... Come on....

I am going to wait for the O-dock and do a nice install in the NSX come spring. It will directly feed my JL audio 6 channel amp that weighs in at 5 pounds. 2 will feed my super light component speakers, and 4 will bridge into two to drive my bass transducers mounted into my seats.

Last edited:
Pretty good read Turbo.

I'm re-doing my stereo again and basically am going to delete my Nav I think and single din all together...

I plan to wrap my CC in carbon fiber deleting the din/ashtray/and coin older "but that's for another thread.

I've been doing some research lately and do like the O car setup but don't really want something like that in my dash I guess. I've also read that you can hook up your ipod or iphone or whatever DIRECTLY to your amp using the headphone jack. But that doesn't give you the best quality of sound.

For this to work and plug directly into my amp and be able to control just the volume I'd need this

http://www.ramelectronics.net/ipod-...docking-to-stereo-rca-cable/prodIFEPDRCA.html

And a Line driver?

If I wanted to control the bass and treble and other stuff I'd add an equalizer as well in there too?

Basically I don't listen to cd's or the radio ever. I have a 3g Iphone which sucks and when the new Iphone 5 is released I'll get that so I'll never need my navigation. I'm thinking of just putting a flat CF plate in my nav pod for the time being.

I've also read that you can hook up your ipod or iphone or whatever DIRECTLY to your amp using the headphone jack. But that doesn't give you the best quality of sound..

as opposed to what?

For this to work and plug directly into my amp and be able to control just the volume I'd need this

http://www.ramelectronics.net/ipod-...docking-to-stereo-rca-cable/prodIFEPDRCA.html

That's exactly what you DON'T need if you want to maintain volume control. All that adaptor will do is send a full line level signal to your amp. That output is not adjustable. The headphone jack is what gives you volume control. If you are assuming the sound quality is worse from the headphone out, I would say don't. The guys that claim this just don't understand how the iphone works and the chipsets behind it all.

And a Line driver?

If I wanted to control the bass and treble and other stuff I'd add an equalizer as well in there too?

I have contradictory info on this but Audax said he did not need a line driver so try it first. It may be that the imput sensitivity on the Bose amp has changed over the years. So some cars may not get enough voltage and some may. I just don't know the details of the Bose amp as I have never even see it. But if you are going to an aftermarket amp then it's a non-issue (for most amps). This contradictory info can also be that they are using different phones, and they may have different voltages out. It can even be affected slightly by the cable length. But I would definitely just TRY IT and see where you land before buying a line driver.

As for EQ's, I would get the JBL MS-2 and let it do its thing, you will have a MUCH better result than ANY EQ.

Basically I don't listen to cd's or the radio ever. I have a 3g Iphone which sucks and when the new Iphone 5 is released I'll get that so I'll never need my navigation. I'm thinking of just putting a flat CF plate in my nav pod for the time being.

Well that's a personal decision but I can tell you the 4S works terrific with the navigon or tomtom apps and it's available now.

What is it you don't like about the O'car? You can always wait and get an O'dock

Last edited:
Has anyone tried Mimic yet?

I've looked into it. It has some issues and is expensive, and I'm not sure of the benefits in such a small car. It's overly complex. Just using your phone is better IMO.

For those that don't know: mimics are radios made by a company that mirrors your iPhone operation on a large in dash unit. It basically tries to become a larger phone in your dash.

Having used the o'car now I am over thinking its too small. The way it pulls out and angles toward me makes operation as easy as any double din touchscreen. Like I said, I know it's only a few inches and a few degrees but without inserting a joke here... It does make all the difference in the world. It's a fantastic design.

as opposed to what?

That's exactly what you DON'T need if you want to maintain volume control. All that adaptor will do is send a full line level signal to your amp. That output is not adjustable. The headphone jack is what gives you volume control. If you are assuming the sound quality is worse from the headphone out, I would say don't. The guys that claim this just don't understand how the iphone works and the chipsets behind it all.

I have contradictory info on this but Audax said he did not need a line driver so try it first. It may be that the imput sensitivity on the Bose amp has changed over the years. So some cars may not get enough voltage and some may. I just don't know the details of the Bose amp as I have never even see it. But if you are going to an aftermarket amp then it's a non-issue (for most amps). This contradictory info can also be that they are using different phones, and they may have different voltages out. It can even be affected slightly by the cable length. But I would definitely just TRY IT and see where you land before buying a line driver.

As for EQ's, I would get the JBL MS-2 and let it do its thing, you will have a MUCH better result than ANY EQ.

Well that's a personal decision but I can tell you the 4S works terrific with the navigon or tomtom apps and it's available now.

What is it you don't like about the O'car? You can always wait and get an O'dock

I don't want the o'car because I don't need it. It's basically just a Iphone holder with radio right? It probably does a few other things as well but the only thing I need is my music on my Iphone.

So you're saying that if I use the headphone jack and just plug straight into my JL amp then it'd work fine then?

Yes that's what I'm saying but you'll need a way to turn the amp on by it's 12V trigger. You can wire it to a switch or have it come on idle with the ignition. Most JLs have no signal sensing circuit. These are available if you really want one but I'd just wire it to a button that simply turns the system on.

If you do an EQ, you may be able to get a 12V trigger off of it for the amp.

Thanks for this very informative thread. Turbo, I'm curious why you want to go with the oDock instead of the oCar for the NSX?

I had a quick look at the PLX website and they have documentation on their protocol and it seems pretty straightforward. I'll have a look at what's available on the SW side, but this seems like a great opportunity to put together a custom app for the gauges.

BTW, if you have any questions on what may or may not be possible to do in iOS, let me know as I have some experience in this area.

Last edited:
Thanks for this very informative thread. Turbo, I'm curious why you want to go with the oDock instead of the oCar for the NSX?

I had a quick look at the PLX website and they have documentation on their protocol and it seems pretty straightforward. I'll have a look at what's available on the SW side, but this seems like a great opportunity to put together a custom app for the gauges.

BTW, if you have any questions on what may or may not be possible to do in iOS, let me know as I have some experience in this area.

Thanks Arshad. Please feel free to contribute any ideas on gauges or iOS.

I am thinking of the O'dock because I can keep my factory console. The O'car will require a new/modified console. Being I also don't need the built-in amplifiers, I can save that extra 2 pounds of weight. That's the only reason I am leaning toward the O'dock. I might also have more options with mounting, and make it look really good.

Yes that's what I'm saying but you'll need a way to turn the amp on by it's 12V trigger. You can wire it to a switch or have it come on idle with the ignition. Most JLs have no signal sensing circuit. These are available if you really want one but I'd just wire it to a button that simply turns the system on.

I forget how my single din is triggered but I believe if I unplug it I'll have an exposed harness and one of the "prongs" is a blue wire that reads antenna or power or something along those lines.

I may be getting wires confused right now so correct me if I'm wrong.

But yeah, if I am wrong I know I can tap power from somewhere. Probably from my driver side foot well fuse or my radar detector or something.

I am thinking of the O'dock because I can keep my factory console. The O'car will require a new/modified console. Being I also don't need the built-in amplifiers, I can save that extra 2 pounds of weight. That's the only reason I am leaning toward the O'dock. I might also have more options with mounting, and make it look really good.

Ah ok. My biggest concern with the oDock is that it doesn't seem like you can do a nice clean-looking install with it. I'm not sure how you're planning on getting it on the A-pillar without it sticking out a fair bit? Very interested in your thoughts on this...

Ah ok. My biggest concern with the oDock is that it doesn't seem like you can do a nice clean-looking install with it. I'm not sure how you're planning on getting it on the A-pillar without it sticking out a fair bit? Very interested in your thoughts on this...

You might be right, until I get one in my hands I'm not sure how and where I will mount it. A pillar and ON my blank stereo delete plate were two thoughts. I haven't ruled out the O'car if that winds up looking cleaner. Although the radio controls work better down low, I was having thoughts up getting it up high vent level. This would give me slightly better vision for Nav, and if I drilled a hole in the dock at camera location, the ability to use the phone as my track camera. But I may shelf that idea because it is just as easy to undock the phone and install it in a camera mount with a wide angle lens on my rear glass. It's not like I'll need other functions like radio and nav while running on the track.

Although the radio controls work better down low, I was having thoughts up getting it up high vent level. This would give me slightly better vision for Nav, and if I drilled a hole in the dock at camera location, the ability to use the phone as my track camera. But I may shelf that idea because it is just as easy to undock the phone and install it in a camera mount with a wide angle lens on my rear glass. It's not like I'll need other functions like radio and nav while running on the track.

Hmm, that's a very interesting idea. I've got a SmartyCam mounted on my gokart which overlays data from the race computer onto the video. The camera has built in accelerometer and GPS as well for overlaying G-forces etc.

It should not be overly complicated to use the iPhone's built-in GPS/accelerometer to overlay similar information over track video in realtime, or worst case as an export function. If the PLX can feed in realtime OBD2 or sensor information, that's even more stuff you can overlay...

Here's an early test video I did with the camera when I first got my setup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdRLNPAj8ss

Here's another video showing a different overlay configuration with G-forces:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ci_TFNyfjGA

Last edited:
Any word on O'Dock availability? Zero hits on Google shopping... :eek: Amazon only lists the O'Car... :frown:

Will get info after CES. That show is January 13 in Vegas.

Any feedback on the Boss Audio 754DI? $84 on Amazon.

51H7MpV4BUL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004NWI0SK/

Feedback is that the Boss unit is junk.

You need to be able to rotate the iphone. I just got back from a trip and started using my oxygen O'car again in my Honda (not the NSX). I really LOVE this thing. I put up with wires and chargers and this and that in a rental for a month. I am so relieved, this thing works TERRIFIC.

I don't know why more guys aren't buying this unit. For $300 it is one great unit.

For guys that want to keep the stock system or their current stereo, Oxygen makes the O'dock. This is a much better option than the GROM adaptor. This will be out soon. You have to charge your phone anyway, you may as well hook it into something that gives you all the features. Sorry French is all I could find. My ex girlfriend is translating for me and I will post:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/e-jUqQDOjv0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Oxygen-Audio-Announce-O-Dock-02.jpg

That looks nice.

Back