• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

iPod Adapter on Early 91 NSX

I have a early 91' NSX which dosent have CD changer. I bought the USA spec ipod adapter from SoS (latest version) and connected this to the connector(8 pin i belive) behind the drivers seat. I've read some tutorials saying there is 2x 8pin connector there, i just found one (i figour the in car phone wasent standard on European models.

I've connected both my iPhone 3g and iPod 30GB with the same result.

I cant change from radio to CD on my stereo, and my iPod dosent seem to notice its connected to something (my iphone says he connects to something that isnt ipod compatible). The ipod dosent charge its power either.

I've not checked behind the HU to see if the cable is disconnected but i figure that is very unlikely. Its a totally stock car:wink:

Any help would be appreciated!

Try to tap in to the connector directly behind the HU. If that still doesn't work then I'm guessing it's not compatible.

The other option is to try the other connector in the trunk, just to see if you get the same results.

Try to tap in to the connector directly behind the HU. If that still doesn't work then I'm guessing it's not compatible.

The other option is to try the other connector in the trunk, just to see if you get the same results.

Actually cant find the 8 pin connecter in the trunk, is it possible its converted to something else? i can find two other outlets which are connectable there..

I found the 8pin connecter in the trunk, it was actually wired all the way around in the trunk to the other side (is this normal? where is the cd changer normally placed)

Either way, i tried using the connecter in the trunk, and it all worked!:smile:

How amazing is that?:confused:

I found the 8pin connecter in the trunk, it was actually wired all the way around in the trunk to the other side (is this normal? where is the cd changer normally placed)

Either way, i tried using the connecter in the trunk, and it all worked!:smile:

How amazing is that?:confused:

That is amazing!!! Good job!!! now enjoy your ipod in your car!

the reason you Iphone 3g won't charge is because apple changed the power cord connection in the phone. I had the orgingal iphone and my grom would charge it. when i upgraded to 3g it wont charge. you have to get a adapter that connect to the cord that connect to you 3g iphone. the adapter will charge your phone whille you listen to the ipod feature on your phone. the adapter is about 30 bucks and is called Scosche.. do a ebay search on it.

All the USA Spec devices we sell for the NSX are the newer versions and are compatible with the iPhone 3G and will charge them (I have one myself and it works great).

http://www.scienceofspeed.com/products/interior_performance_products/NSX/USASpec/

The plug in the cabin is actually connected to the same cable in the trunk. So if it worked in the trunk, but not the cabin, it must have not been plugged in correctly - perhaps the pins were not seated properly?

If you need help, please let us know.

Cheers,
-- Chris

Now I have had the adapter in my car for about 9 months and it worked like a champ. Loved it. I pulled the ACCU out to send to BrianK but couldn't get ahold of him so I put it back in for now. Now my radio won't switch over to CD? I have the adapter wired up inside the cabin. Seems like the Head unit is hooked up right. And the cable behind the driver seat is still good...Any suggestions?

figured it out I think... the switches on the adapter somehow got switch to off. I must have done it when I was r^2 the ACCU. Radio works like a champ...not the climate control though :( Thanks guys

All the USA Spec devices we sell for the NSX are the newer versions and are compatible with the iPhone 3G and will charge them (I have one myself and it works great).

http://www.scienceofspeed.com/products/interior_performance_products/NSX/USASpec/

The plug in the cabin is actually connected to the same cable in the trunk. So if it worked in the trunk, but not the cabin, it must have not been plugged in correctly - perhaps the pins were not seated properly?

Cheers,
-- Chris
I have another car...S2000...Would this be the same set up? Would I hook up the USA Spec behind the stock head unit? Any insight is appreciated.
Thanks.

I have one in my NSX and my S2000 both bought from SOS.

The S2000 unit is a little different than the NSX one and you have to verify which head unit you have in the S2K. There is a link on the SOS site that gives the details. (Science of Speed is awesome!)
The S2k plugged in the back of the radio, in the dash.

The NSX unit plugged in the 8 pin plug behind the driver's seat. The first time I plugged in the unit and attached my iPhone and it didn't work. I unplugged the iPhone, turned off the radio and ignition and plugged it in again. Then it worked.

I think this is such a terrific mod. I'll be selling my CD player(s) soon.

BTW I have the iPhone 4 and it works fine. Tons of songs and GREAT sound.

Last edited:
I have one in my NSX and my S2000 both bought from SOS.

The S2000 unit is a little different than the NSX one and you have to verify which head unit you have in the S2K. There is a link on the SOS site that gives the details. (Science of Speed is awesome!)
The S2k plugged in the back of the radio, in the dash.

The NSX unit plugged in the 8 pin plug behind the driver's seat. The first time I plugged in the unit and attached my iPhone and it didn't work. I unplugged the iPhone, turned off the radio and ignition and plugged it in again. Then it worked.

I think this is such a terrific mod. I'll be selling my CD player(s) soon.

BTW I have the iPhone 4 and it works fine. Tons of songs and GREAT sound.

Thanks....For the s2k, where did you have the wire (iPod connector)? Is it just from the back and around the passenger side of the car? Did you get creative and manage to put it through the cup holder bin?

Thanks....For the s2k, where did you have the wire (iPod connector)? Is it just from the back and around the passenger side of the car? Did you get creative and manage to put it through the cup holder bin?

Ran it from behind the head, down the side of the console, under the carpet and cut a slot in the rear of the compartment behind the cup holder with w Dremel.
I put the iPhone in the cup holder.

I have this in my car and it didn't work with my iphone4. When I hooked with my old ipod, it worked.
Is there an adapter out there to make this work?

Cheers,
-- Chris

I have this in my car and it didn't work with my iphone4. When I hooked with my old ipod, it worked.
Is there an adapter out there to make this work?

I have the iPhone4 and have one in my S2000 and in my NSX and they both work fine.:confused:

Last edited:
Where do you guys mount the USA Spec unit? In the trunk where the CD changer is? or inside the cabin? Is there any photo showing where and how it is mounted?

Thanks

I mounted mine up near where I plugged it into the harness .. behind the drivers seat and behind the panel that you remove to get at the harness. But I neglected to tie mine down and it sometimes rattles so don't make that mistake. Mine has worked well .. although if I haven't driven the car in a while, it seems to take it a while to figure out where it was last.

My iPOD is in the center console with a cable access that allows me to to extend the cable long enough for the iPOD to fit the ash tray if required. The interface unit is actually in the center speaker enclosures. Sort of a retractable cable setup. I prefer the iPOD out of sight, but if I need to access it the cable will extend to around 18 inches.
see: http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121560&page=2 Post #45

Good location for the iPHONE as well.

Last edited:
Picked one up today and the install was easy! (plugged right into the 8pin plug as others described) Plays my music and sounds great, however it's not charging my iphone4. Is it the cable? :confused:

Picked one up today and the install was easy! (plugged right into the 8pin plug as others described) Plays my music and sounds great, however it's not charging my iphone4. Is it the cable? :confused:

Shouldn't be my iphone4 charges fine.

Back